Episode I helmet WIP

The Senate Guard as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Phoenix
TKID: 6015

Episode I helmet WIP

Post by Phoenix »

So I have undertaken the episode I helmet and we are nearing completion, just the hardest parts left!!
The robes and boots I already have set to go and a forcepike rather than a senate rifle. I may build a rifle later, the resin cast kit I got was way way too heavy.

The helmet I got was full of imperfections and weak spots. It needed extensive work before we could even tackle the spine and crest, the spine also needed alot of work.

After spending a good bit of time hunting down and purchasing horsehair, then teaching myself to make horsehair crests, I opted out of using it for practicality. I troop ALOT and we have alot of rain and humidity in florida. It was proving unrealistic to get the crest to stay in form, especially at the angle it should be. Storing should be done upside down and that wasn't fun either. After much debate, I decide to go with the broom ends which won't look as nice but will be much more durable and functional.
The first two pics are as I recieved it:

These pics are of the helmet all cleaned up, with spine attached, with notch cut, and finally with the grooves that I will be inserting the crest into after it is painted:

TK IAIN

Re: Episode I helmet WIP

Post by TK IAIN »

That looks amazing Rebecca!

Really looking to seeing how this one comes together and would love to know how you got those grooves done (angles and material etc!) and if you don't mind can I 'borrow' your idea for mine if I can indeed use it! ;)

Don't forget to post up lots more pics when you get the chance! :D
Iain

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Paint is finished, took it to an autobody shop around the corner from me...it is a ford motors underhood color, can't remember the exact name right now...

Next is the crest (i'm so nervous) then a little work in the interior and some foam padding on shoulder area then done!

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

That looks amazing! I so want to get my bucket painted at a body shop.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I do have a 360 view of the crest of this one.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:ImageI do have a 360 view of the crest of this one.

Would love to see that when you get the chance please! :D
Iain

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Hi Phoenix!

Any chance that you can give us an insight into how you did the grooves please! :D
Iain

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Iain, for the grooves we just made a pencil line approximately where they should be on each side of the V then used a dremel tool to carve them out...inhaled a TON of dust adn chewed through some dremel bits but it cam eout, the hard part was the angle and now that I am working the crest in I am not as happy with it but will just deal...it's hard to get that deep V

the biggest part I am having a difficult time with now that I am inserting the crest is the curve, the material seperates out over the curve and I may have to find some way to go back in and fill it out. Otherwise, let me know what you think.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Very nice indeed Rebecca.

That is going to look awesome when its done.

I know what you mean about that 'infamous' angle and like yourself I'm just going to go with it if I reckon I have it looking right.

Keep those WIP pictures coming.
Iain

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Next round of crest added, only a little bit left to do and then the really hard part...cutting it down properly to size. I haven't figured out a plan for that yet.
Still wish I could have made the horsehair work but the plastic broom parts are much more forgiving to storage, moving the helemt around, and holding shape...as well as the hot glue!
Look at the difference in the color of the helmet with the camera flash off vs on!