Senate Guard 'Plumed' Helmet (It Begins)

The Senate Guard as seen in Revenge of the Sith

TK IAIN

Senate Guard 'Plumed' Helmet (It Begins)

Post by TK IAIN »

Here we go for the plumed version of the Senate Guard helmet seen at the end of 'The Phantom Menace'.

Not much of a movie in my mind (load of crap really) but it did produce one of the most striking looking helmets from any of the six films.

ImageImage

Just took delivery of Amy Berry's mk.II Senate Guard helmet today after a day at work which dragged big time as I knew the lid had been delivered.

Could not be happier with it and I am looking forward to getting to work on it in the near future. The mk.II is even sharper in detail than my original one and a bit lighter, but the weight has never bothered me TBH as it is spread across my shoulders. Another bonus is of course I do not have to worry about visors fogging or it getting too hot on the inside. Going to be my first 'open' face costume which will be weird but once I have my Brad Pitt lookalike surgery I reckon I'll be fine.
Got a bit of work to do before the helmet will be worn in public for the first time but I would love to have it ready to go for one of next years Memorabilia shows or Glasgow's Collectormania.

This is what was waiting for me when I eventually got home today!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Now I have the helmet in my hands I can get down to some serious head scratching with regards to how the hell am I actually going to do the double plumes.
I do have a picture in my head as to how it will all go together but got some other 'life' stuff to get sorted out before I can devote some serious time to the work needed.
Been in contact with a company down south (south to me that is) that will be able to supply the horse hair required and I need to get the finger out and talk to them on the phone as they have requested.
I may also go down the road and get some plumes that have been pre-made which will cut a bit of the work down but the wooden base shown in the next pic will need to get cut carefully away and the hair 'transplanted' onto a plasti-card mount which will be detachable (for transport and storage).

Will need to source some strong rare-earth magnets for that one at some point.

No matter which road I decide to go down the upper part of the crest will need to be cut into/cut away and the bit that is removed will be dropped down into the crest and will become the base for building the plume holders around.
Going to have to suss out the angles of the plumes as accurately as I can. I have seen angles of 45 degrees quoted but that looks too sharp an angle for me but I will figure it out at some point. Will need to get a protractor from some where to help with that.

Some have advised/suggested that I use Polypropylene or broom bristles for the plumes and I have seriously considered both but to get the look I am after it has to be real horse hair or I won't bother doing the helmet.Going to be a bit pricey at the end of the day for the horse hair but it is 'the' only way to go.

So!After a long wait the 'The Phantom Menace' Senate Guard is that one step closer to becoming a reality.Got a long way to go yet but I will keep this WIP thread updated as often as possible.

If anyone has an inkling, suggestion, mad scientist thinking or a eureka type moment with regards to double plumes and the making of, fire them my way please.

My grateful thanks must go to Amy Berry for once again making me one of the most unique Star Wars helmets there has ever been seen up on the screen. Just hope I can do her work the justice it deserves.
Iain

redpaint
TKID: 6263

Re: Senate Guard 'Plumed' Helmet (It Begins)

Post by redpaint »

Nice looking helmet mate.

Whats it made out of?

Be good to see progress on this.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

redpaint wrote:Nice looking helmet mate. Whats it made out of?Be good to see progress on this.

It's made out of good 'ol fiberglass.

Got a fair bit of work to do before it's even close to being finished but that's the fun part! :D
Iain

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

The stage on campus where I work has a giant blue velvet curtian (it's huge!) and I've already told the head facilities that if they every need to replace them or do anything with them I'll remove them, no questions asked. After that happens...that helmet would be mine!

I'm such a novice when it comes to dealing with any sort of horse hair. I'd think you'd want to stick with something as natural as possible, not only for looks, but like you said, if you're going to do it, do it right.

Very cool!

Phoenix
TKID: 6015

Post by Phoenix »

Greetings from Florida! We are currently in the process of making an episode I senate guard and I have been doing extensive work on making horsehair crests. I have made 8 crests in practice and keep running across the same issues. The horsehair at the length it needs to be for the helmet, approximately 6 inches at the top and grading down to 3 inches at the bottom, doesn't hold standing. This is especially true for the top part of the crest which is angled out at around 40 degrees. I have made some beautiful crests and could probably do it with my eyes closed now but they will not stay standing and I have tried gel mouse, hairspray, even clear coating or shellacking it but it will start to fall or hairs begin to separate giving it a ragged appearance. Plus, to keep the hair stiff, it must be stored upside down to avoid gravity pulling it over but the angled parts can never be stored quite right.
As we approach the final work on the helmet I am most likely going to be going with the broom ends instead and wasting the 4lbs of horsehair i have sitting here. All though they do not look as nice, I think we can do them flush enough that they look a little better than some earlier attempts and they are stiff enough that they will stand up to weather, humidity, rain, and wear much better....plus storing the helmet and transporting it will be much simpler.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Howdy Phoenix.

And thanks to all of you for your replies.

With regards to the plumes I intend to make I will have them detachanle from the helmet for ease of storage and transportation.

And adding on the fact that I will probably not get too many opportunites to actually wear the helmet leans me to the real horse hair - but it really is all if, buts and maybes at the mo.
Iain

Phoenix
TKID: 6015

Post by Phoenix »

Well! If that's the case I have about $80 worth of black horsehair sitting here unused...about 4lbs total still neatly bundled up and I have nothing to do with it.
Also, for a great tutorial on making the crest look up
Legio XX Online Handbook

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

What about inserting a piece of clear plexiglass in the middle of the crest. What would give the hair something to stick to and would be hard to see. It works perfectly in my mind...but of course a real-world application might generate completely different results :)

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Phoenix wrote:Well! If that's the case I have about $80 worth of black horsehair sitting here unused...about 4lbs total still neatly bundled up and I have nothing to do with it.
Legio XX Online Handbook

I will be in touch when I get home from work if that's OK.
Will be very interested if the hair is up for sale (do you reckon it would be enough to do two plumes??).How long is that hair??
Like I said very interested if for sale and I don't suppose shipping would be too much! :P

And Jester TDA - that is a damn good idea and would be even better if the plexiglass was black.

Better get back to work before the boss sees I'm skiving.
Iain

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Phoenix wrote:Well! If that's the case I have about $80 worth of black horsehair sitting here unused...about 4lbs total still neatly bundled up and I have nothing to do with it.
Legio XX Online Handbook

Back again.

Very interested in the hair if it is for sale as it seems to be 'exactly' what I am looking for - whenever you have the time just drop me a line and we can see what we can do.

Like I said I am going for the 'real horse hair' look and the plumes will be detachable for ease of storage/transport and I have a spot in the loft looked out for them to hang upside down when not being used.
Very interested to read your comments about enabling the plumes to stand straight by using hairspray etc,etc so that will be taken onboard for when I start to do the helmet in a month or so (need to get car tax/mot/holiday out of the way first).

Would love to hear any hints/tips you have on making crests and most certainly any do's/dont's you may have.

And I have saved that site you suggested into my faves and printed off the bit about helmet crests.

Many thanks.

Iain
Iain