Senate Guard 'Plumed' Helmet (It Begins)

The Senate Guard as seen in Revenge of the Sith

MagnaPrime
TKID: 8285

Re: Senate Guard 'Plumed' Helmet (It Begins)

Post by MagnaPrime »

Iain,

this really is just coming along fantastically.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Back Again! :D

Finally got around to repairing the damaged crest and after what felt like an Eternal Battle I finally got the last of those damn pin holes defeated. :shoot:

The lid as seen in the next two pics is good to go but like I think I mentioned in a previous post it will have to wait 'til I come back from Egypt next month.

ImageImage

The next couple of pics show the finished crests that have been shaped and trimmed to their final contours and at the risk of banging my own drum "again" I have to say I am well chuffed with the way they finally turned out.
These are the plumes without any stiffening as I am still not 100% what to use in the end as although I thought I had come across the perfect stuff in the fabric stiffener I showed in an earlier post I still was'nt happy with the overall look although there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and I was just being annoyingly picky and wanted to try out a few other things I had thought of during the process of making this helmet (which will now be forever known as "My Frackin' Nemesis").
I got myself a pair of hairdressing scissors which worked to a degree but I found the real horse hair to be a wee bit tougher than human hair. The scissors did the job but I felt they where 'tearing' the hair if I tried to trim more than say 1cm at a time which got laborious very quickly. The solution was at my mums' in the shape of electric dog hair trimmers. After an initial cut with the scissors the trimmers where used to give the plumes their final shaping and trim.
Was a real sod to get the two plums to match and all in all took the better part of six hours as I trimmed very carefully using templates I had made up ages ago. Once one plume was completed it was reasonably easy to match up the other one to it (or so I thought!) but there were subtle differences in each of the runners the hair was planted in to make matching the two up a total pain in the a**e!.

ImageImageImage

The major problem methinks with using the fabric stiffener was that I used it neat and straight from the bottle (much easier to apply when watered down slightly as suggested on the bottle and so much easier to work into the hair without messing up that overall shape too much) which worked extremely well but made the plumes impervious to anything but a full blown and direct nuclear strike.

Imprtant type tip now and that is :- "Read the bloody instructions on any bottle/container". And more so when applying to any hairy things!

It was an easy fix and just entailed 30 mins or so with the shower attachment some shampoo and just because it was there some good 'ol hair conditioner which by the way actually worked a treat as the plumes turned out brill and not as 'lifeless' looking as the first time when I just hosed them down to get rid of the stiffener. Another interesting and useful side effect of going all Vidal Sasoon on them was that when they dried totally (took nearly a bloody week for both of them) was that the hair went into a subtle "S" shape which lent itself brilliantly to supporting their own weight and helped stop them drooping backwards when attached to the lid. That "S" shape can just about be seen in the pics of the two plumes.

The final two pics in this WIP update show one of the plumes after I had got into with some strong hairspray which was suggested to me. I was not too keen on using hairspray at all TBH as I have visions of the lid catching fire and toasting my noggin inside it which I am sure you will agree would be somewhat embarassing not to mention a trifle painful. Another advantage is that it can be re-applied quickly when on a troop break but I am still trying other solutions even though it pains me to admit this is probably "THE" final route I will take. Got a few more experiments to do with the stiffener, spray and some mousse I am about to mention but nearly there.

The first pic show one of the plumes after being sprayed in this stuff and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised with the results. The bottom of the plume is resting on my hand and there is nothing to support the hair on any side bar this spray.

This is the spray I used.

I also got some "extra firm hold" hair mousse which was another thing sugested to me but I have'nt tried that yet along with that glue spray stuff.

So!Finally getting there and at last that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Thanks for following this thread and all the comments and suggestions given.
Iain

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I like the spray can :)
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Damnit!

I knew I had forgotten to show something.

Here's the lid for the first time with the plumes trimmed and shaped. When looking at the helmet from the front the right hand plume is the one that has had the hairspray applied to it.

Image Image
Image Image

Just got a final wee bit to do on the plumes and that will be that!

It was just a light dusting of the spray but hopefully you guys will agree in that it has turned out extremely well. Will get the hair gel and some more spray this weekend but I have to say I am well chuffed with the way it has turned out. Just wish I had the spare cash to get the lid painted but like I have said it will have to wait 'til I come back from holiday.

Hopefully the next time I post up here the helmet will be completed 100% and the clearance pics will be on their way!

Not long to go now.
Iain

Geohazard
TKID: 14247

Post by Geohazard »

I caught this thread over at the RPF. It's looking great with the plumes!

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Have you figured out a way to get the helmet (with plumes) from point A to point B without needing a professional salon? The bucket is bulky enough without the plumes.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

JesterTDA wrote:Have you figured out a way to get the helmet (with plumes) from point A to point B without needing a professional salon? The bucket is bulky enough without the plumes.

The plumes are detachable for transport and storage.

And have a nice big, padded case already for the lid for when it's painted!
Iain

Marcus
TKID: 3977

Post by Marcus »

Wow!

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Last wee update for a bit.

The next time you see this particular lid it will be all painted up and good to go (hopefully! :shoot: ).

After what seemed like and endless series of "trials and tribulations" I finally hit on the penultimate look for those damn double plumes.

Lots of swearing, pledges to the devil, glaring at the damn thing, sleepless nights, a s**t load of cash on various hair care products and god knows how many times I wanted to quit the whole project went into this little addition to my cossies but at last we have finally reached the long awaited final stretch towards completion.

Image Image

This is the lid as it will be seen when I get trooping in it and like I have said in previous posts this will be painted when I get back from Egypt in early May (depending on what cash I have left!).

I really can't do anything else with this lid so I reckon it is pretty well finished at last.

So!Please comment on this, as what you guys have said over the past 11 months (Yikes!I started this nearly a year ago!!) has kept me going.

Next time it will be fully painted and the clearance pics would have been sent.

Many thanks for following this WIP thread.
Iain

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

You've done an amazing job! This looks fantastic and I expect that not only have you learned a lot about fabrication but also WAY more than you wanted to learn about hair care products.