Review of ultra hi-res photos

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Review of ultra hi-res photos

Post by stripes »

This thread is reserved for reviews on the parts from ultra hi-res photos. Photos will be included as they are cropped from the original source image.

stripes
Former DL

Re: Review of ultra hi-res photos

Post by stripes »

I have been reviewing some ultra hi-res photos (4000x8000 or higher) of the Praetorians in a few different poses that were submitted to detachment command.

As I spend more time on this review I will be posting my findings here in this thread so that we can have a single source of information.

Some of the first things I have noticed....

1. most if not all of the arm segments have some etched or raised detailing on them and they are all flexible. I will grab screenshots of this detailing and labelling which segment is affected as this detailing will need to be included in all builds.

2. The skirt pieces are actually double layered material. A seam is clearly visible on these pieces. The material has a pile on it that is comparable to a heavy felt or melton type material.

3. The following article highlights some comments from the original costume designer indicating that the original suits were built to be functional on stuntmen, including the ability for them to take falls without damaging the armour... this indicates that the armour is predominantly, if not completely cast out of foam and then likely urethane (rubber) coated to get the shiny, solid look: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/fash ... pants.html

4. The gloves appear to be a soft leather akin to deerskin that has been dyed to match the armour and fabric in colour. There are some ridged details across the back of the palm. The length of the glove up the arm is not able to be fully determined beyond the need for the gloves to go beyond the wearer's wrist. Based on personal experience I would guess that these would likely be short, gauntlet style gloves with 2-3 inches above the wearers wrists.

5. While there is a great deal of debate on the materials used for the shirt and pants of this costume, I firmly believe these are not leather. The pants are a form fitting, stretchable material that may have a slight texture to it. Further review on this is required as the lighting is studio lighting and can affect how a material appears. The shirt is a slightly heavier material, but is still designed to be form fitting and flexible. There also appears to be a sewn collar at the neck. Again, the lighting is showing this fabric in different ways depending on the image sources used. Some appear to be a plain red material, while others appear to have a pebbled texture with some pile to the fabric.

5a. The shirt may be more of a gasket and neck seal implementation similar to what has been used for the FOTK, FO snowy and FO Flame... more research is needed here as if this is the case, we can cut out some of the material and make this costume less of an oven.

6. As yet, we do not have a full 360 view of these costumes. We have some Gentle Giant statues that were on display as well as some side/front views that are in the available stills. A lot of these details are still coming in and many may not be fully available until the blu-ray is released and additional hi-res stills can be pulled from movie references.

More to come as I have time to thoroughly review these images and pull screen shots for everyone

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

We have several images we are reviewing as a team and are making notes regarding the required details.

We will kindly ask you to not post your proposed CRL Dawn as this is not something that has been vetted or approved by detachment command and will only serve to create confusion.

The post containing your written details has been deleted.

We (detachment command) will post a written CRL when we have more details.

We will also kindly ask you to not speak on behalf of detachment command when questions are asked directly to us regarding the CRL or elements thereof.

Thank you.

kylo ren
TKID: 13377

Post by kylo ren »

stripes wrote:

We will also kindly ask you to not speak on behalf of detachment command when questions are asked directly to us regarding the CRL or elements thereof.

Hello. I am not speaking as "Detachment Command".
I am speaking as a LMO of the 501st Legion sir.
I would like to politely ask you to please not censor me.
Thank you for your cooperation.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

kylo ren wrote:
stripes wrote:

Hello. I am not speaking as "Detachment Command".
I am speaking as a LMO of the 501st Legion sir.
I would like to politely ask you to please not censor me.
Thank you for your cooperation.
you are not being censored Dawn. You are being reminded you are not a member of this command staff and that your CRL is not detachment approved. We have kindly asked that it not be posted to prevent confusion. We kindly thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

I will also kindly ask that you stop hijacking my review thread. This thread is for posting the review of images that we already have, not for your grandstanding.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

I have grabbed a few details in some images that show some of the high detail on the parts. I am continuing the review of the images I have and am hoping to continue finding these kinds of details.

1. The shirt appears to be a single texture that the light is playing off of that makes it appear pebbled when it is not... how else do you explain the pebbling effectively disappearing at certain angles in this shot?

2. Arm detailing with etching on various segments... note the additional etching around the circle, on the bicep segment above the piece with the circle AND the detailing on the pieces around the wrist. Both of these are found on the left arm.

3. The Skirt is two layers of the same felt/melton like material. See the pile of the fabric and the seam showing the layers sewn together

More to come as I continue with my reviews

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Some additional observations:

1. Back plate is not a smooth, flat piece that connects on the side... there is a "bubbled" ridge

2. There is more than one chest greeblie... the right hand side of the chest is more than just an etched oval

3. There is a gap in the etching of a couple inches on the top of the first wrist section

4. Chest piece overlaps back piece and has significant etching details, this would be the right side

5. Vinyl Belt with foam details - this is the right side

6. there is a small oval on the second wrist section - lines up with the gap in the etching on the first segment

7. The third bicep section from the shoulder has additional etching and a rivet

More to come as I continue my reviews.

Foxhound621
TKID: 62621

Post by Foxhound621 »

How do you know for an absolute fact that the chest greeblie has a blue piece of plastic inserted into it, and that it's not just a painted blue square? Do you have any evidence to support that info? (This was mentioned on the Facebook group)

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Foxhound621 wrote:How do you know for an absolute fact that the chest greeblie has a blue piece of plastic inserted into it, and that it's not just a painted blue square? Do you have any evidence to support that info? (This was mentioned on the Facebook group)
Have a look at the photo that shows this detail above. It is very clear it is an inset piece of blue plastic, not paint.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Additional details on the chest greeblies and showing blue chip and right side details better... note that the right side details are not 2 etched boxes but have shape and form: