Jimmiroquai - Praetorian Guard build, all versions

Jimmiroquai
TKID: 82480

Re: Jimmiroquai - Praetorian Guard build, all versions

Post by Jimmiroquai »

stripes wrote:From what I see, there are some deficiencies that do not match the established visual references. The leather underneath does not match the dark red pebbled fabric, the lower "robes" and gloves are an incorrect colour as they do not match the rest of the costume....

While this is an amazing job for a first attempt, there is still much work to be done before we ever get to looking at a CRL
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the gloves are the wrong color. Hoping to rectify that soon. The skirt though is a pretty straight match to the hires photos i have. Must have been my phone or the lighting off the material that made it appear a bit more purple than in person. Here it is with more neutral lighting tones:

The pebbled leather fabric, while not a perfect match is the closest so far. The search goes on, however. I'm thinking maybe a type of synthetic snake/crocodile/alligator skin?

I think there's enough references and finished pieces to at least start on a CRL though.

Some updates:
I've finished the Knight variant helmet:
Cast in two pieces. I've installed magnets in mine to attach the face plate:

We've also cast everything in red and did an experiment with only wet sanding and some urethane clear coat, no primer or paint:

Came out pretty good. :)

DarkFather
TKID: 37781

Post by DarkFather »

Hi;

Is there any chance that we could get a photo of the unprimed/unpainted test piece or pieces along with your fabric? I was just wondering what the colour/hue difference is between painted and unpainted.

Cheers.
Cheers
DarkFather 37781

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Jimmiroquai wrote:
stripes wrote:From what I see, there are some deficiencies that do not match the established visual references. The leather underneath does not match the dark red pebbled fabric, the lower "robes" and gloves are an incorrect colour as they do not match the rest of the costume....

While this is an amazing job for a first attempt, there is still much work to be done before we ever get to looking at a CRL
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the gloves are the wrong color. Hoping to rectify that soon. The skirt though is a pretty straight match to the hires photos i have. Must have been my phone or the lighting off the material that made it appear a bit more purple than in person. Here it is with more neutral lighting tones:

This photo shows the fabric as a more cherry red (darker) to the helmet which is closer to a candy apple (brighter) red. The match needs to be closer than this still IMO.

Jimmiroquai wrote:I think there's enough references and finished pieces to at least start on a CRL though.

WHile I can appreciate the enthusiasm, reality is we don't have full shots from actual on screen footage as yet. We need more detailed pictures and on screen references to be able to properly construct a CRL for this costume. As evidenced by photos coming out of NYCC, there are details on the underside of the helmet that do not show up in the promotional shots that will need to be included for the CRL build.

As a caveat, the Stormtrooper Executioner has a completed CRL as it is a minor modification to an established CRL for the FOTK and has not had to start from scratch as a new CRL.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

It will be interesting to see if we get different views of them to reference in a scene - for neck section :)
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Jimmiroquai
TKID: 82480

Post by Jimmiroquai »

Updates!
1) Mando variant done!

2) 1st production kit done!

3) Underside details of Samurai hat done!

4) Large set option done!

5) Found potentially better pebbled/cracked faux leather.

6) 1st Run started

Pic of helmets all together:

Admiral Wolf
TKID: 13665

Post by Admiral Wolf »

This is fantastic. Would be highly interested in a kit, if you ever go into production once the details are hammered out for the CRL.
Death Shall Have No Dominion

Mortty
TKID: 17071

Post by Mortty »

This is a great hard work.
I'm really thankful to you for showing us your work.
Hopefully little by little you will match perfection and after the film everything will be as close to references as possible.
We, guards are waiting for this new CRL.
I'm sure Detachment Leader will work with you to match the way to open a new CRL. Future is here and Guards are waiting.
As other detachments we must work all together to settle a new CRL even if in construction.
If it's possible and when you find time please match your pics with your references so we can all see where the problems really are.

Thanks a lot again for your great work.

Kemen
TKID: 63982

Post by Kemen »

Looking nice....good job at having a first pass on this complicated costume.

Foxhound621
TKID: 62621

Post by Foxhound621 »

Too many errors with the kit, too many inaccuracies with it

Echo
Detachment Webmaster
TKID: 12132

Post by Echo »

Foxhound621 wrote:Too many errors with the kit, too many inaccuracies with it
Can you be a bit more specific and constructive? Explain what you feel the problems are so that the build can be improved?
---
Emily McRae
GEC/GWL - Outer Rim Garrison
DPRO/DWM - Sovereign Protectors