Fabric Comparison: Wool Cavalry Twill vs. Cotton Cavalry Twill

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Fabric Comparison: Wool Cavalry Twill vs. Cotton Cavalry Twill

Post by Shikkakku »

Skirt Fabric Analysis:

Per CRL, the only guidelines to the skirt fabric is that it is "is red in color matching all other sections of the costume and made of a wool or wool- like material"
The common consensus during the early days was that the most screen accurate fabric is "cavalry twill, red" and per my research is most commonly found in the UK as it is a traditional English suiting fabric. It is a very heavy fabric made of wool and has a distinct weave. Its also real expensive, at 30+EU/yard.

In my search for a substitute I found a textiles manufacturer in New York called Spechler-Vogel who offer a cavalry twill fabric. Difference is that it is 100% cotton and in brick red. I requested a swatch and with the help of Michael Ren who sent me a swatch of the wool fabric from his kit, I did a quick comparison between the two and took pictures.

Initial impression is that the wool is much heavier than the cotton. A quick test on a kitchen scale shows 4.0g for the wool and 2.0g for the cotton. There’s also a difference in weave both on the wrong and right side, and the colour is not an exact match. I took a photo of the two fabrics on a newly-painted shoulderpad (Rustoleum safety red under fluorescents) and you can see the differences. My skirt is in storage for a move so I wasn’t able to dig it out for comparative photos.

My concerns with the cotton twill is the colour matching, and the weight. A good Praetorian skirt is supposed to be heavy so it flows and sits properly. Since the skirt is supposed to be double-layered maybe the fabric will end up heavy enough? Can’t tell until someone tries.

The one advantage of the cotton twill is that its way cheaper ($4.75 USD/yard is what I was quoted) and since its in North America shipping is easier for Guards in that area of the world. I might consider buying a few yards (if shipping is right) and making a skirt just to see how it compares with what I have right now, but that will have to wait until next year!

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025