Skirting material

Michael Ren
TKID: 16591

Skirting material

Post by Michael Ren »

I believe I have found a very, very close match to the skirting material. I've defended this fabric on the Praetorian Guard Facebook group, but also post it here for your review. Fabric is "Bright Red Cavalry Twill 100% Wool heavy Worsted Suiting". You can find my photos on the following link: https://imgur.com/a/EEdGVrl

Most pictures were taken of the side with the most texture, since this is the side Topps used for their sample card. I do believe, however, that it's the other side, that was used for the skirting. A very good reference is the lifesize cardboard Praetorians that are displayed in some movie theaters and stores, since the printing is very detailed (unlike most photos we have, save for the ones Dawn and Luke provided, of the heavily damaged costume).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Steinbrecher
TKID: 57434

Re: Skirting material

Post by Steinbrecher »

That actually looks super close!! I'm wondering if you could hit it with a wire brush or some sandpaper and try to give it more of that fuzzy appearance seen in a lot of the photos. How thick is the fabric? Did the seller list a weight? If it's too drapey, we might be able to back it with some felt or whatnot to give it the right look. Great find!

Michael Ren
TKID: 16591

Post by Michael Ren »

Steinbrecher wrote:That actually looks super close!! I'm wondering if you could hit it with a wire brush or some sandpaper and try to give it more of that fuzzy appearance seen in a lot of the photos. How thick is the fabric? Did the seller list a weight? If it's too drapey, we might be able to back it with some felt or whatnot to give it the right look. Great find!
It's perfect thickness IMHO. Not too thick single layered, but once you fold it once (original is double layered), it's suddenly very thick and dense. Not drapey at all. On my link, you can see how I hold the single layer diagonally and it doesn't drape. That sample is boiled once. Doesn't add any real fuzziness, like I orginally wanted it to, but the color looks more realistic (less "freshly dyed") and the structure is better too.

Steinbrecher
TKID: 57434

Post by Steinbrecher »

Good find again, I must say I originally went with a much lighter fabric for my skirt and I'm kind of regretting it.... a heavier fabric creates less of a draped, flowing look and has doesn't need to be ironed every time I take it out of the bin! I got a swatch of this stuff a while back and I REALLY dig it, it's very fuzzy but not a felt, i've looked under a magnifying glass and I'm pretty sure it has a twill weave. But it's heavy and cost effective!!

https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/p ... 0758625036

Lee_C_77
TKID: 22510

Post by Lee_C_77 »

I’m in agreement here.

It’s hard to see for sure from the LA pictures. The skirts are fairly damaged. I’m unsure if they roughened them up before filming.

These 2 pictures above are from the same cavalry twill fabric that best matches.

These 2 are from a screen used kit at the LA show.

And these 3 are also from the LA show of a screen used kit.

So the top 2 pictures are from a found fabric. The rest are all from a screen used suit at the LA show.
The fabric seems to be a very good match. TBH I don’t think that a better fabric will be able to be sourced commercially.
Would love to hear CS thoughts on the match.
UK Garrison Praetorian Guard Armourer

First and only cleared Praetorian in the UK

3-c
TKID: 76313

Post by 3-c »

What exactly was the LA show you mention in your posts? Was that the red carpet event with Disneyland costumes? Or asked differently: how do you know the kits photographed were used in the movies?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

DS16591 wrote:I believe I have found a very, very close match to the skirting material. I've defended this fabric on the Praetorian Guard Facebook group, but also post it here for your review. Fabric is "Bright Red Cavalry Twill 100% Wool heavy Worsted Suiting". You can find my photos on the following link: https://imgur.com/a/EEdGVrl

Most pictures were taken of the side with the most texture, since this is the side Topps used for their sample card. I do believe, however, that it's the other side, that was used for the skirting. A very good reference is the lifesize cardboard Praetorians that are displayed in some movie theaters and stores, since the printing is very detailed (unlike most photos we have, save for the ones Dawn and Luke provided, of the heavily damaged costume).

Please let me know your thoughts.
That Fabric will be fine to use for the Costume. No need to battle damage it as "damaged" will not be part of the requirement. Proceed with your build.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

kylo ren
TKID: 13377

Post by kylo ren »

3-c wrote:What exactly was the LA show you mention in your posts? Was that the red carpet event with Disneyland costumes? Or asked differently: how do you know the kits photographed were used in the movies?
Display at FIDM. Though I have photos from the screen used at the premier as well.
Heres the gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/JbR9i

TK-92413
TKID: 92413

Post by TK-92413 »

Do you have a link to where I can find that material? I can not seem to find it anywhere.