Praetorian Guard Shirt / Neck area garment

kylo ren
TKID: 13377

Re: Praetorian Guard Shirt / Neck area garment

Post by kylo ren »

Lucky we do not worry about things that are under parts that you can not see in a CRL. So said things wouldn't need to be added anyways which is great.
You are right it may be a "hey this is under here" issue. But yeah its not whats seen on screen. This could just be underparts. But they are for sure different from whats on the costume that is seen on the outside.

Really we just need to write things that people can achieve basic approval for the Legion in.
We also do not have to source fabrics thank goodness. We just need to provide a basic CRL so that others can make costumes.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

kylo ren wrote:Lucky we do not worry about things that are under parts that you can not see in a CRL. So said things wouldn't need to be added anyways which is great.
You are right it may be a "hey this is under here" issue. But yeah its not whats seen on screen. This could just be underparts. But they are for sure different from whats on the costume that is seen on the outside.

Really we just need to write things that people can achieve basic approval for the Legion in.
We also do not have to source fabrics thank goodness. We just need to provide a basic CRL so that others can make costumes.
This is exactly what detachment command have been working on to ensure that the correct look is achieved while ensuring that the build is achievable for people.

As we are limited on resources, and the blu-ray has yet to be released which will allow for further stills and frames to be examined and reviewed, I wouldn't be expecting anything to be formally posted until some time after that. Anything sooner than that is rushed and subject to too many errors IMO.

Gaanon
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45666

Post by Gaanon »

stripes wrote:
kylo ren wrote:Lucky we do not worry about things that are under parts that you can not see in a CRL. So said things wouldn't need to be added anyways which is great.

This is exactly what detachment command have been working on to ensure that the correct look is achieved while ensuring that the build is achievable for people.

As we are limited on resources, and the blu-ray has yet to be released which will allow for further stills and frames to be examined and reviewed, I wouldn't be expecting anything to be formally posted until some time after that. Anything sooner than that is rushed and subject to too many errors IMO.
Not to mention we can expect a whole host of "behind the scenes" and "The Making Of" videos to be included in the various video formats released.

As a future PG (Mando/Whip Sword) I'm enjoying watching how the CRL build is unfolding. It has given me a new appreciation for an eye for details.

Brian

Steinbrecher
TKID: 57434

Post by Steinbrecher »

Do we have any photos of the actors in costume with the helmets off? I feel like I saw one a while back but can't find it anywhere! Curious if that might give us any more clues about the tunic.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

It was in a behind scene but not really an up close for detailing.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Steinbrecher

Post by Steinbrecher »

Question for anybody that has seen the costume in person: Would you describe the shirt as being more matte or more glossy? The flash and different lighting in the photos make it difficult to tell, I'm curious what a first hand impression was.....

Michael Ren
TKID: 16591

Post by Michael Ren »

After staring at the ultra HD photos for a week on my second screen wallpaper, I was convinced that the way it creases, it's actually neoprene. It creases exactly like my old wetsuit. Another member of the Facebook group also had the same impression and today our suspicion was confirmed by one of the stunt people who wore the costume on screen. It's a dyed wetsuit. We went looking on the internet for wetsuit that have the correct seams around the shoulder and found a very close match, albeit black. If the CRL team would accept that this is a very viable option (esp. considering the confirmation from the stunt actor), we could try to dye one of these black wetsuits red. Perhaps het cracked, scale-like finish is just the top layer of dye/paint that has cracked naturally due to movement?

Sourced wetsuit: https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B9C679E

Another picture that seems to confirm the claim: https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5BC475D1

Steinbrecher

Post by Steinbrecher »

Here is my very brief, but very informational convo with Karanja Yorke! He was a delight! I put messages out to a couple other stuntmen who were guards, but he is the only one who has replied thus far.

Lee_C_77
TKID: 22510

Post by Lee_C_77 »

The undershirt being neoprene was mentioned a while back and was point blank refused. Maybe if it didnt get shot down it could have been found already.

There is now a lot of evidence pointing to the under shirt and pants being a wetsuit. Too much for command staff to simply say the undershirt is not made of neoprene.

By listing them below with pictures and reasoning I think that it will be easier for everyone to digest.

•- First of all there is the comment form Karanje. One of the stunt men who put the suit on daily whilst filming. He says that it was a dyed neoprene wetsuit. Admittedly the actors can be wrong but if a guy who has done many movies says that it was, his opinion carries a lot of weight.

•- It is thought that the trousers and undershirt are made from the same fabric. Again, this is in keeping with a 2 piece hooded wetsuit. The bottom half left black and the top half dyed red.

•- The 2 pictures above show the shape of the wetsuit balaclava on the model as being the same as the premiere picture where the guys lid rides up. Again this looks like a wetsuit. In fact on this photo, without any extra lighting, the red area looks like a wetsuit material.

The top 2 of these 3 pictures are all taken of a screen used suit in LA. The top photo is under exposed which IMO helps to show the neoprene fabric. You can see, without any extra lighting, that it looks to be a smooth fabric. Not wool, not Lycra, not snake effect.

The middle photo is also from the same exhibit, but with lighting or a flash. Now you can see a small texture or pattern but I think that this is more of a lighting trick. The third photo shows the suit from close up at a premiere. Again, the texture looks like a wetsuit. Which brings me on to the next 2 close ups.

These are taken at the LA show on a dsl camera and are zoomed in on the undershirt and neck area.
Again, IMO you can see that when zoomed, the fabric has the lines and texture of neoprene that has been painted and possibly distressed and had some sort of lacquer painted on. Possibly a water sealer to protect the paint when they got washed.

This photo is what I think has caused a lot of confusion. The left side appears to show a textured, almost snake like pebbled fabric. The right side and lower area are more in line with the wetsuit theory. This photo was taken in the same light as most of the others. I think that the lighting is making the fabric look different.

I think that a wetsuit was used. I think that it has been painted red and sealed. I also think that before it was painted it was possibly distressed.

These are only my thoughts and I know this theory has been dismissed but I think the pictures above and the words of the stunt man merit it being considered.

Thanks
UK Garrison Praetorian Guard Armourer

First and only cleared Praetorian in the UK

Steinbrecher

Post by Steinbrecher »

Piggybacking on some of these thoughts...

-I was honestly surprised that Karanja wrote back at all, let alone so quickly, and I absolutely did not want to pester him with more questions. I think we have to take his description of the undersuit at face value because 1. He is a stuntman, and most likely a very active person and familiar with what neoprene looks, feels, and smells(!) like, 2. There's a very excellent chance that the fabrics were talked about during the fitting process of this costume and 3. We simply have no better first hand sources to pull from at this time.

All this being said, I feel like there may be quiet a bit of confusion as we all start trying to source this fabric... He specifically mentioned a neoprene wetsuit, and as I started searching I came up with a lot of results for "scuba" fabric. Scuba is a fabric that has become a hot commodity in the fashion world lately, it emulates, but it is distinctive from a neoprene wetsuit fabric. Here's a great blog entry discussing this: http://www.neucarol.com/is-it-neoprene- ... ld-i-care/ TL;DR, unless it says specifically there is a neoprene or synthetic rubber in the product description, it is a fashion "Scuba" fabric. This could actually be to our advantage. Neoprene is essentially a gasket to seal in allllll the heat and moisture, which could be fine on the movie set where they can control the climate and take breaks as need, but as a member of the SoCal Garrison, this also gives me nightmares about long summer parades. Additionally, neoprene is a substance that a lot of people can be sensitive/allergic to, and we should be accommodating to all hopeful lobsters!

My point is, it would probably be best to have a wider range of fabrics than just straight neoprene wetsuit and include things like the scuba fabric. Wetsuit fabric itself is actually just two layers of polyester or nylon and spandex knit sandwiching a thin layer of neoprene rubber, so when look at it, we aren't seeing the neoprene at all, just a poly/spandex knit laid on top. The neoprene gives the material it's body and look, at that should definitely be our stepping off point for what the approvable fabric "look" should be.