Rogue One Royal Guard CRL development.

The imperial royal guard costume as seen in the Rogue One movie.

Loki
TKID: 28983

Re: Rogue One Royal Guard CRL development.

Post by Loki »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Image
Stephen could you please let me know what's the source for this picture? Is it one of the encyclopedias or source books? Personally I think it looks really strange in a few places and not at all like the actual robes you see in the movie. For example the gloves in the movie are clearly of a reddish colour (burgundy, dark crimson, something along that line) while the gloves in that picture are a light brownish colour. Also the shoulder looks kind of strange if you ask me, like one of these 80s-style blazers my mum used to wear. But that might just be due to the fact that it seems to be worn by a rather skinny, petite person in this particular picture.
cooldevo wrote:[...]For the boots when looking at the right guards left foot, I think agree they are red. It gets pretty pixelated, but they definitely are brighter than you would expect from a black boot. As to material, I can't tell that.[...]
I don't think that's really a foot/boot, but rather a funky reflection of the robe itself on the top of the bottommost stair to the bacta chamber. If it was a boot it would be rather long and kind of funny-looking

But as many have pointed out, there's no real use arguing yet, not before the Blurays have been released.

Laubi
TKID: 7518

Post by Laubi »

Here some better Reference-Pictures:

Source: Teaser 1 / 1080p (*.mov)

Source: Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide / Regal Theater + Disney Movie Rewards Exclusive

BloodRayne
TKID: 20791

Post by BloodRayne »

I agree about the Gloves and Lid, but probably needs more reference photos.

Doesnt seem much to go on :)
Gianandrea Comandè
''An chéad duine chun ionsaí, an duine deirneach chun cúlú''
First to attack, and last to retreat.

TR/TS/IG/IC/TI-20791

Greggvh
TKID: 51901

Post by Greggvh »

Just my 2 cents worth....

I also think it needs to be taken into account that in the image from the book/magazine either the person or mannequin I believe is female and was not the intended person to wear that robe. I think the only reason the robe on the arm without the pike is bunched the way it is is because they/it does not fill out the robe. The stitch on the pike side is nice and clean looking and I think would pull even tighter if a larger male figure was inside the robe. This also makes the shoulder chest area sink in right under the helm that a male with broad shoulders would fill as seen in the movie screen shots.

So because the robe was not made for this body size its not going to sit right and I think we need to keep this in mind when using this image for the CRLs

I hate to say it but pretty sure they are wearing black rounded boots. I think you can see the tips sticking out and they have reflections on the tips and appear to be rounded

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Greggvh wrote:I also think it needs to be taken into account that in the image from the book/magazine either the person or mannequin I believe is female and was not the intended person to wear that robe...
The mannequin definitely looks like a smaller frame than the robe was designed for (male or female). The right shoulder (our left) is much better filled out, and it looks like the left shoulder (our right) is buried in the robe and they tried to compensate by folding at the shoulder seam. If this were the only picture, I would say the right (our left) shoulder should be the way the robe is filled out as it's more consistent with the way they look in the actual scenes and the stills.

The pike length is definitely easy to reference on this one, extends just beyond the top of the helmet when held at the lower hand grip. Of the two guards, both had it just slightly surpass the helmet in length.

jcgardea

Post by jcgardea »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Its all a work of compiling information as we get it. The fact that there was somewhat of a forward photo of the R1 guard from chest up is a stride in the right direction.
I agree with Lucious.
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Its all a work of compiling information as we get it. The fact that there was somewhat of a forward photo of the R1 guard from chest up is a stride in the right direction.
But I don't think we will get much more info now that the Rogue One hype is almost gone...

That said, I think like Greg mentioned, the tip seems to shine as a round black boot. I don't think the boots are red at all. And just saying 'red' is a little vague. I would like to point that IMO the ROTJ boots are not red, at least not the same bright red as the outer robe. In this picture you can see how the boot is partially iluminated and its color is closer to the inner robes, than the bright red of the outer robe. So maybe they are dark red suede...

(click for larger pic)
...So in that order of thought, I think the Rogue One boots are either black, or the same wine colored leather as the gloves are. To me that makes more sense. What do you think?

Now, talking about the sash. I found this clip of ROTJ where the sash is quite visible. And it looks like the center stripe is more like 1/3 of the width of the sash, and not strictly 1 inch, and so the center stripe is not narrower than the edges. If the sash is 3" [7.6cm], then yes it's 1" [2.5cm] , but if it is 4" [10cm] it should be 1-1/3" or 1-3/8" [3.4cm]. Do you agree?

(Please note the white lines are exactly the same length)

Janem Menari
TKID: 9083

Post by Janem Menari »

Hi. When will the CRL for the Rogue One be published? As far as I'm informed the CRL is ready to go... so why the delay?

Janem Menari

Post by Janem Menari »

Hey. I'm asking again... why are the CRL for the R1 Guard not published yet? Is there any reason for this delay? What do we have to do to make it happen? :tr:

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Janem Menari wrote:Hey. I'm asking again... why are the CRL for the R1 Guard not published yet? Is there any reason for this delay? What do we have to do to make it happen? :tr:
CRLs take 100s if not 1000s of man hours to develop. Patience is a huge virtue in this instance... especially with extremely limited visuals for this particular variation of the guard.

Janem Menari

Post by Janem Menari »

I understand, that it takes a lot of Time to develop a CRL. And I'm very thankful for all those participating in the errand to make a proper CRL. But my understanding in this special case is, that we already got what we will ever get on the R1 Guard. I don't think much more will pop up in the near future. In my Opinion we should give it a go with what wie have:

- Helmet: glossy and AotC / RotJ Style
- Outer Robes AotC Style (as we cannot be sure, that there are more openings at the back of the robes)
- Inner Robes and Sash: AotC Style (RotJ Style would also be ok)
- Boots: Black Boots AotC Style
- Gloves: smooth leather suede is not allowed

We don't have much more on this and we did not have much more on the other Guards in the past, too. There are only a few picutres of the AotC Guard and even less on the RoTS Guard. For example: we did not know that the sash of the RotJ has a black stripe until the release of the Cut Szene vor RotJ. So my approach would be, to base the CRL on the AotC Guard and point out the things we know are different (for example the gloves).