Helmet fan configuration

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Arminius
TKID: 71213

Helmet fan configuration

Post by Arminius »

Hi everyone,I just completed a circuit for a variable speed fan for my RG,but I'm unsure where to place the fan.
Should I place it directly in front of my face or on a side? Or maybe somewhere else? Consider that I also have to put a 2.5x1.5x1inch (8x5x3cm) box for the circuit :trsuit:
"In my book,experience outranks everything."

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Re: Helmet fan configuration

Post by Crimson8 »

Fans are tricky but correct placement is essential. Mine has a fan right below where my chin sits and that's cooling me off at troops. A second fan sits just above my forehead in the centre above visor and is very handy as the sweat on forehead is very much cooling when blown with fan. Both use two AA batteries and operate with small switch. Couldn't troop in Australia heat without them.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Arminius
TKID: 71213

Post by Arminius »

What type of fans do you use? I plan to use 12-volt
"In my book,experience outranks everything."

OCD_Chad
TKID: 56868

Post by OCD_Chad »

I have mine blowing right to left across my forehead, but high enough so I don't dry out my contacts.

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

Arminius wrote:What type of fans do you use? I plan to use 12-volt
Yes 12 volt computer fans. Small and effective. The noise is significant but guards should remain silent. Though I often say hi. :trsuit:
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Talmor
TKID: 61212

Post by Talmor »

I run 3 fans, top of the helm, Left, middle, right:

Left and right push the top helmet heat down to the sides of my visor which I (heated and bent) to allow side airflow.

Top middle fan blows over and down my visor to keep any fog from forming (plus the bottom is open a tad also), keeping my exhaled breath pushed down and out!

I started with 1, then 2, 3 works best for me! :tr:

I tie it all to a small cigar shaped USB battery pack (kind used to recharge cellphones) which is Velcro-ed to the back of my helm, it rests just below my neck and between my shoulder blades... I never feel it and gives me 3.5hrs of cooling bliss! :trsuit:

Will work on pics, as I am rearranging wires to make room for a microphone sound card so I can hear! So everything is painters taped in again!