Another visor tinting option

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

IVLIANVS

Another visor tinting option

Post by IVLIANVS »

To make the background story short, I cracked my visor lens. So I read up on some of the posts in here about how to make them and started shopping for the materials to make a replacement. Since I try as much as possible to support local jobs, I went into an auto shop looking for the tint film.

When I asked for red tint, the salesman asked what I wanted it for. After a little discussion, he recommended this spray on stuff, instead of film:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-nite-shades-red So, it's basically a gloss clear coat with red color added to it. The advantages are that it won't trap in air bubbles like film and the leftovers aren't nearly 20 feet of useless red film. Instead, I'll be left with a can of tinted clear coat that I can spray on anything, including the kids' models and such.

The main downside is that like any spray paint, it can run if you overspray. The degree of tint is fairly light, which might be a downside if it isn't enough to hide my face. Multiple coats should darken it. He said the "smoke" stuff was basically intended for painting light covers on vehicles, but because of the way it was designed and it's intended use it should also work well for the purposes of our visors. It is intended to make things like taillights and such look dark until the light comes on. The smoke is just dark enough to hide a red lens until it lights up, but isn't so dark as to dim the light below legal limits. So, in theory it should be just enough to mask the face inside the bucket without making it too dark to see out. He told me that the smoke came out first, and then the red came out to restore faded light covers.

I picked up one can each of the smoke tint and red. I'm getting enough Lexan to do some experimenting, but my initial thinking is to go the opposite way they use this stuff on vehicle light covers. My first try will be smoke to the inside with the red outside. If that doesn't work out the way I see it in my head, I can adjust it from there.

Side note :soap: This shop also installs tinting, and he offered me some scrap pieces of mirror tint film for free! I declined because this is for an ROTJ helmet that doesn't allow mirror lenses. However, the lesson learned is to always give your local retailers a try first, because no online store offers this kind of service.

Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures of the process, but when it comes to building things I'm not the type to take time out and document my process. Final results pictures are a promise, though. ;)

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: Another visor tinting option

Post by cooldevo »

If the tinting isn't to your liking (you can still see eyes) you should be able to pick up standard mirror tint from almost any home hardware or car tinting place. If you are getting scraps (most car tinting places will have) get enough to do at least a test run or two and nstill have enough for the final run.

As long as the spray on stuff you used can survive a little exposure to water/soap without running or turning soft (give it a test run on something else first!) you should be ok.

Mix up some soap and water (lots of places online to find mixture, and probably directions in mirror tint boxing), apply liberally to the inside of the visor and then place and squeegee the water/soap mix out from under it. It may take a couple of strategic cuts in the mirror tint to keep it from bubbling.

Anyways, nice idea! I didn't see any pictures (work filtering blocks a good bit of stuff) but I'll check the thread later tonight. Did you post any pictures of the finished look?

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

cooldevo wrote:If the tinting isn't to your liking (you can still see eyes) you should be able to pick up standard mirror tint from almost any home hardware or car tinting place. If you are getting scraps (most car tinting places will have) get enough to do at least a test run or two and nstill have enough for the final run.

As long as the spray on stuff you used can survive a little exposure to water/soap without running or turning soft (give it a test run on something else first!) you should be ok.

Mix up some soap and water (lots of places online to find mixture, and probably directions in mirror tint boxing), apply liberally to the inside of the visor and then place and squeegee the water/soap mix out from under it. It may take a couple of strategic cuts in the mirror tint to keep it from bubbling.

Anyways, nice idea! I didn't see any pictures (work filtering blocks a good bit of stuff) but I'll check the thread later tonight. Did you post any pictures of the finished look?
Mirror tint is allowed for prequel guards, but I am doing ROTJ which doesn't.

No pictures, yet. I'm still waiting for the sheet of Lexan to come in.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Hmmm.. I guess that was removed from the new ROTJ CRL. Previous iteration it was. I must have missed that when I read it the first time. Although the reference picture shows a black visor, of which according to the description wouldn't be allowed.

In that case, if you are starting with a clear visor you could use RIT dye to pre-dye it, then one you get it red and then touch it up with darken it with the spray.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

Well, this little project is becoming more complicated than I expected. I have formed Kydex and ABS with little trouble at all, but Lexan polycarbonate is proving to be a worthy adversary.

Evan1701
TKID: 81989

Post by Evan1701 »

I actually just taped the raw window tint to the inside of my helmet because the visor from fenixprops was taking so long. From the outside it looks identical to a visor. I almost wish I hadn't got the visor at all from fenixprops since the window tint will never scratch, and I can just cut off another piece.

Not exactly the most elegant solution, but good for a pinch, and super cheap.
Evan Schrantz
Garrison Tyranus- Serenno Squad
TR-81989- ROTJ Royal Guard
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot
ID-81989- Director Krennic/R1 ISB Officer

SolTheBull
TKID: 11160

Post by SolTheBull »

I bought a sheet of red transparent plastic from the local Pat Cattans for like $3. I can make about 8 visors out of it. Looks perfect, and you cannot see me through it.

I know this stuff has a special name, next time I am in the store I will look. At first I used 2 layers thinking it would need that much to keep me from being seen, however I am now down to just one. Best part is that if anything ever happens to it I can have a replacement ready to go cheap.

Greggvh
TKID: 51901

Post by Greggvh »

I tried the spray tint and it was fine if you did not need to look through it up close. Interested to see if you get better results because I think would be a great option.

I went with a Hobart 770580 Face Shield Replacement Lens, Shaded from amazon. These I found to be great as they are dark. Can not see in but can see out just fine. They are thin .25mm enough that you can bend them without heating but thick enough to keep a nice shape. I did try laying the red sheet of plastic over and it looked good but by just adding that thin layer of red over the visor it cut viability to almost nothing. If I can find one of these shields that has a little less tint then I think I could place the red over it.

I did cut the lens out using a dremel. I think I could make 3 or 4 from just one face shield.

The visor is held in place with just duct tap.

BuddyLove
TKID: 73226

Post by BuddyLove »

I have the rubies Supreme helmet. I took my visor to a local car tinting place to get tinted, but was advised that the tint woildnt stick properly tl the material. I went down the spray on tint....and stuffed that up completely. I was broken
But I found a face shield replacement visor in a dark black (welders use them) for a good price. It cuts relatively easily and looks great. Visability is fantastic, and no one can see in
"Don't mention the War" - Basil Fawlty