Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

rwbowri

Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers

Post by rwbowri »

looking for recommendations on who making helmets and how much difference in weight is between a ABS helmet and a Fiberglass helmet :tr:

Allan1313
TKID: 97491

Re: Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers

Post by Allan1313 »

I have a fiberglass helmet from Lukannons Armory (on facebook). I love it, looks amazing, and it weighs about 3 pounds. Let me know if you have more questions.

Red TFU Guard
Empire City Garrison

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

Generally speaking, ABS is more dense (heavier) than fiberglass. Add in the fact that fiberglass is more rigid than ABS, and you'd need a thicker ABS to reach the same durability as a fiberglass piece. ABS is also softer than the resins used with fiberglass, so the fiberglass will be more scratch resistant as a base.

Where ABS has an advantage is in flexibility. As I mentioned, it is softer than fiberglass reinforced resin, so ABS is the "bend, don't break" type of material. Fiberglass, once pushed past it's limits will fail catastrophically, where at that same point of crushing force the ABS will likely bounce back with little more than cosmetic damage.

From a cost viewpoint, vacuum forming ABS will usually be cheaper per piece to produce. Fiberglass resin requires a cure time while taking up space in the mold, while ABS can be removed as soon as it cools just enough to maintain the mold shape and that can be sped up with cool air or even a water mist sprayed on it. ABS production rates can essentially be measured in pieces per hour, while fiberglass is hours per piece. As they say, time is money.

I hope that helps.

Axiscommander
TKID: 47606

Post by Axiscommander »

I have recently purchased a Lukannon helmet. It’s a thing of beauty...so now I am going to have to complete the costume :tr:
Standing at the back, or dirty in the sand

Mace Ripper
TKID: 17760

Post by Mace Ripper »

Lukannon Armory is currently closed as of 1/2020. For updates, look up Lukannon Armory on FB.

OCD_Chad
TKID: 56868

Post by OCD_Chad »

My Korbanth fiberglass one is under 3 pounds.

RedGuard701

Post by RedGuard701 »

I just purchased the Denuo Novo helmet. Scanned from the original Lucasfilm prop.

650 usd (purchased on May the 4th with a discount. Final price after taxes = 593.94 usd

Designed from a 3D digital scan of the original filming and assembled from high quality fiberglass and polyester resin shell.

High quality fiberglass and polyester resin shell with a durable polyurethane topcoat.
Durable high gloss automotive finish with a dark red-tinted visor.
Fully lined interior using a lightly padded polyester with a soft brushed finish.
Helmet adjustment pad system ensures a comfortable and secure fit.
Helmet fits up to a size 8 US hat size.
Made in the U.S.A. Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipment of this item.

I ordered on May the 4th and it arrived on June 1st. They say it takes 2-4 weeks and that was right. UPS was the carrier and they didn't pick it up for about 2 weeks. I think that is how their scheduled pick up is arranged due to low-volume sales, this is only my opinion as one who has dealt with UPS pickup in the past.

It arrived packaged very carefully. Two heavy cardboard boxes, packing peanuts, carry bag, and plastic wrapped. The helmet is stout and sturdy. The inside is lined very comfortably. They included 3 velcro-stripped pads for smaller heads. They also included a decent quality carry bag which will help for post-trooping conventions. The red visor is on the clear side and will need to be darkened or replaced to meet 501st approval I would assume. The color matches my velvet perfectly. I used Triple Velvet in "Old Glory" color, ordered from Hobby Lobby at 40% off.
Royal Guard Project.jpg
Royal Guard Project.jpg (791.73 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
This helmet is too small for my head, but I am over 6'2" tall and larger in frame. I expanded the helmet just a smidge by inserting a deflated basketball, heating the "inner hood/cheek" area with a heat gun on Low setting then slowly inflated the basketball. This took around an hour just being careful not to overheat or over-inflate the basketball. I left the ball inside and placed the helmet in front of my air conditioner and let it completely cool down. Getting the helmet on is still tight but manageable and once on there is plenty of room even for my larger profile nose. I just hope that if I'm ever trooping in the heat that it doesn't shrink back down because I will have to be cut out of the helmet. A little scary to think about, not gonna lie.

Lonetrooper13
TKID: 85561

Post by Lonetrooper13 »

Interesting technique to gain room, I also am a 6ft plus potential guard, luckily the (unknown maker) fibreglass bucket I have has a poor quality paint job I am intending to update, I may attempt your method, with far less risk!