My "prescription" visor

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Evan1701
TKID: 81989

My "prescription" visor

Post by Evan1701 »

This is a little out of the ordinary, but hey, it works. I had a couple extra lenses laying around from an old pair of glasses. Thank goodness I'm one step from being a hoarder, otherwise I may have thrown them out years ago. Since I'm getting my ROTS Royal Guard approved sometime in the next few weeks and plan to do my first troop in about a month, I figure I need to make sure I can actually see out of my helmet (barring the obvious FOV limitations we all experience). A few pieces of tape later, and voila. A ghetto "prescription" visor.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Lkjjf

I mostly just taped them in as a proof of concept. I will end up either hot glueing or super glueing them in. Surprisingly, I can't actually see the tape at all, but I don't want them to fall out if the adhesive decides to fail on a summer day.

A better solution might be to just get contacts, but I can barely put eyedrops in as it is!

:tr:
Evan Schrantz
Garrison Tyranus- Serenno Squad
TR-81989- ROTJ Royal Guard
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot
ID-81989- Director Krennic/R1 ISB Officer

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: My "prescription" visor

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

If it works for you and helps with your mobility all the better. The smoked lense hides the eyes of the costumer. That will not affect any approval issues as it is an internal modification.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Evan1701

Post by Evan1701 »

I eventually want to swap it out to a mirrored red visor. There are a LOT of mods I want to do, but I want to get some "boots on the ground" time so I can really determine what works and what doesn't (since I haven't trooped yet). I also want to determine when I want to spend more $$$ on the Royal Guard costume vs. starting to build a new one. Hoping for some May the 4th deals :D
Evan Schrantz
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Depending on how much space you have inside the helmet a pair of sports glasses could work just as well. The benefit of the sports ones is they tend to wrap snugly around the face as opposed to the edges you find on normal glasses. I too am not a fan of contacts/drops. They often have anti-fogging properties as well, which is very nice.

That's what I use, but of course it will depend on your prescription to see if it is doable. I got mine from a website online out of the US. They also work very nicely inside my Vader helmet.

Evan1701

Post by Evan1701 »

I can get some prescription safety glasses through work, but I'm not sure if they're as compact as sports glasses. If they are that would definitely be a better end goal.
Evan Schrantz
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

You could affix lenses to the RG lens, but the tricky part is you'd have to ensure the power is adjusted for where they'd be sitting so you can focus properly.

Glasses lenses have a power based on being ~12 millimeters from your eyes. The RG visor is more than 12mm from your eye. Thus regular glasses lenses sitting further away would need their power adjusted. For proper vision, you'd want the lenses power adjusted to ensure that they compensate for the extra distance from your eye. Otherwise you'd likely end up with headaches, motion sickness, or sore eyes after using the helmet for a while.

Lots of resources online that you can reference that talk about prescription lenses (glasses and contacts) and distance from eye. One reference: http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasse ... iption.htm

Evan1701

Post by Evan1701 »

cooldevo wrote:You could affix lenses to the RG lens, but the tricky part is you'd have to ensure the power is adjusted for where they'd be sitting so you can focus properly.

Glasses lenses have a power based on being ~12 millimeters from your eyes. The RG visor is more than 12mm from your eye. Thus regular glasses lenses sitting further away would need their power adjusted. For proper vision, you'd want the lenses power adjusted to ensure that they compensate for the extra distance from your eye. Otherwise you'd likely end up with headaches, motion sickness, or sore eyes after using the helmet for a while.

Lots of resources online that you can reference that talk about prescription lenses (glasses and contacts) and distance from eye. One reference: http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasse ... iption.htm
Wow, excellent info! They worked pretty well when I was having my approval/other pics taken in my costume, but out on a troop is the last place I would want to get a blistering headache. I think I'm just going to take the leap and get contacts. I'll probably need them with the other costumes I want to build!
Evan Schrantz
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

That would work also!

You may not end up with any problems at all, and it may work out perfectly for you to have them mounted inside the visor. The only way to find out would be to try it on a troop. I'm definitely no optometrist or ophthalmologist, I just read what I research. ;)