Fenixprops - Red Visor

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: Fenixprops - Red Visor

Post by cooldevo »

delabane wrote:Do Royal Guards need mics though? I know talking without one sounds crap but I can't imagine Royal Guards talking (blame the films!)
It can be handy to have if you want to talk to people (handlers, guests). Otherwise you are talking through a plastic helmet.

It will really depend on the role you want to play (and it can vary by event). If you want to run around high-fiving everyone that comes in sight, a mic could be handy for interacting. On the other hand if you are standing next to the emperor sitting on his throne, you may want the role of a stoic intimidating guard, then you won't want a microphone.

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

Geohazard wrote:I get a lot of painful feedback. Electricity and magnetism go hand in hand. As the mic moves through the magnetic field, it creates an electrical current, which results in screeches.
Won't derail the thread, but there should be ways to negate/minimize that effect in a closed and mostly controlled environment (your helmet).

It can vary by microphone type, sensitivity/directionality (or modding it to be even more directional), and the magnets and how they are mounted. If both are relatively fixed points (your mouth and helmet should stay pretty similar distance apart), should be able to avoid the problem, although might take a bit of tweaking. An even further enhancement would be a PTT system that would help even more, as I don't like "always on" microphones.

Geohazard
TKID: 14247

Post by Geohazard »

cooldevo wrote:
Geohazard wrote:I get a lot of painful feedback. Electricity and magnetism go hand in hand. As the mic moves through the magnetic field, it creates an electrical current, which results in screeches.
Won't derail the thread, but there should be ways to negate/minimize that effect in a closed and mostly controlled environment (your helmet).

It can vary by microphone type, sensitivity/directionality (or modding it to be even more directional), and the magnets and how they are mounted. If both are relatively fixed points (your mouth and helmet should stay pretty similar distance apart), should be able to avoid the problem, although might take a bit of tweaking. An even further enhancement would be a PTT system that would help even more, as I don't like "always on" microphones.
I've tried the PTT system, it shorted out. The problem that I see with every bit of electronics, fans, mics, etc... in the close helmet is that they eventually short out, especially during the middle of a long troop, where I am in the helmet for hours at a time, and therefore condensation covers everything inside my helmet in a layer of wet. There is also not a lot of clearance inside my helmet for fans, etc... (not to mention the difficulty of mounting such on a convex surface) due to my large gob. I use a thin mylar visor because it blocks view inside the helmet, but necessitates easy removal, because they break down fairly quickly and need replacing. Tape peels away quickly due to the moisture, and therefore tiny disc magnets are more efficient. I don't use a wireless mic, due to the bulkiness of the setup.

I can't be the only one who deals with these sets of challenges.

Geohazard

Post by Geohazard »

cooldevo wrote:
delabane wrote:Do Royal Guards need mics though? I know talking without one sounds crap but I can't imagine Royal Guards talking (blame the films!)
It can be handy to have if you want to talk to people (handlers, guests). Otherwise you are talking through a plastic helmet.

It will really depend on the role you want to play (and it can vary by event). If you want to run around high-fiving everyone that comes in sight, a mic could be handy for interacting. On the other hand if you are standing next to the emperor sitting on his throne, you may want the role of a stoic intimidating guard, then you won't want a microphone.

I've done both. I prefer to be able to talk and be heard, especially when communicating to handlers my needs, etc...

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

Geohazard wrote:I can't be the only one who deals with these sets of challenges.
As I bought a kit for my helmet, I got to size it. I added extra space to take into account adding extra things I wanted. I've got two air tubes (that blow fresh air up from my knees), a sound amplifier (so I can hear), and can fit a wired headset. I don't normally use it but I do have room for it. And that is on top of me wearing sports glasses as well. It would probably still have room to spare if I wanted to go wireless. The air from the one or two fans (two indoors, one is usually sufficient outdoors) generally keeps me condensation free and mostly comfortable.

Geohazard

Post by Geohazard »

cooldevo wrote:
Geohazard wrote:I can't be the only one who deals with these sets of challenges.
As I bought a kit for my helmet, I got to size it. I added extra space to take into account adding extra things I wanted. I've got two air tubes (that blow fresh air up from my knees), a sound amplifier (so I can hear), and can fit a wired headset. I don't normally use it but I do have room for it. And that is on top of me wearing sports glasses as well. It would probably still have room to spare if I wanted to go wireless. The air from the one or two fans (two indoors, one is usually sufficient outdoors) generally keeps me condensation free and mostly comfortable.
Which helmet do you use? There's not a lot of helmets that I've tried on that fit. Fenix's was the first one that went on comfortably, albeit with not a lot of room to spare, nor can I wear my glasses underneath.

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

Geohazard wrote:Which helmet do you use? There's not a lot of helmets that I've tried on that fit. Fenix's was the first one that went on comfortably, albeit with not a lot of room to spare, nor can I wear my glasses underneath.
This was the kit I got. I show a bunch of pictures in my WiP from when I received it until when it was finished. It was a bit of work, but the extra space was very nice. The joining edge is stepped so you can size it up larger or smaller.

http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1757

I couldn't get my head inside a Don Post, it stopped going on just after it hit the top of my forehead.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

I'm in that same mindset. However, those with more experience than I, have many tales to tell of interacting with children and other fans during events.

My initial plan is to get a way for me to be able to hear better. If my attempts to behave like a costumed character at Disneyland (they don't speak) doesn't work, then I'll explore moving towards a two-way system.

Geohazard

Post by Geohazard »

IVLIANVS wrote:
I'm in that same mindset. However, those with more experience than I, have many tales to tell of interacting with children and other fans during events.

My initial plan is to get a way for me to be able to hear better. If my attempts to behave like a costumed character at Disneyland (they don't speak) doesn't work, then I'll explore moving towards a two-way system.
There is a guy on the main 501st boards selling a hearing assist kit. I don't quite know what he all has in it, but it sounds like an exterior mic piped to speakers in your bucket.

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Upgraded with the red visor from FenixProps. It IS flexible enough I just hot glued it in place on both mine and the wife's buckets. That said the one thing I had to do was buy some car tint for it as it is too clear and you could easily see through the red visor. Put the tint on the inside and it was fine though that on the visor was a pain to try and smooth out fully but it is good now with the tint.

You should also be mindful you are looking through red tint now. You CANNOT see blue light AT ALL, and it does make it a bit darker too though not too much. If you make the switch keep your old visors in case you find you need to put the old ones back in!!

With the tint on they still look black but depending on how close and angle you get the red hue show through...