Standardized Measuring Guide for Helmets

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Re: Standardized Measuring Guide for Helmets

Post by dwdj75 »

Let me add one more pic, this is the smallest part of the inside of the helmet.

I have seen quite a few posts about excessively large melons, so I wanted to get this to help fellow TRs out on if they can wear this ! :trsuit:

I measured in inches instead of centimeters (dang American ! lol)

But the circumference is 66 centimeters.

bennroe

Re: Standardized Measuring Guide for Helmets

Post by bennroe »

Are these measurements being done with a flexible sewing-style measuring tape, measuring along the contours of the helmet? Or with rigid rulers, measuring a 2D footprint? My brother, who is a 3D animator and Star Wars aficionado, designed the STL files for my helmet and printed it for me, and it's an incredible helmet, but he did so from across an ocean with only a rudimentary 3D scan of my head, neck, and back and some rough measurements to guide him. As a result, I sometimes wonder if my helmet is perhaps just a little too large for me. When I measure it two-dimensionally, however, my measurements end up equivalent to the lowest measurement of any helmet posted here or smaller for every single dimension, so I just want to make sure I'm measuring correctly. I end up with:

A: 420mm
B: 145mm
C: 28mm
D: 315mm
E: 335mm
F: 195mm

I have a pretty small head, but it's not abnormally small, and with the above dimensions I have about 25mm of padding at the back and 8mm of padding at the top to keep my head snugly in place, not to mention comfortable wiggle room at the sides. Just curious if I'm measuring correctly. If I measure with the contours, my A dimension would be 533mm, which seems far too big, so I assume I'm measuring correctly above.