My Bucket is air conditioned

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: My Bucket is air conditioned

Post by JesterTDA »

I trooped an outdoor event in December (only time I've trooped my Guard and not needed to change my clothes afterwards from sweat) and even without a single fan on I couldn't hear anything going on. I know it's a different problem than what you're dealing with but heck...most people won't know what the noise is.

spree610
TKID: 61000

Post by spree610 »

I'm curious. What is everyone using for tubing and how well has it worked for you? It looks almost like dishwasher drain hose but I'm not sure.
Justin "Spree" Strait
Garrison Tyranus
TR-61000

Rapture23
TKID: 23126

Post by Rapture23 »

I used clear hosing for an air conditioner....get it at Home Depot

spree610
TKID: 61000

Post by spree610 »

here's my version. worked pretty well for me, you can't even tell I'm wearing it.

Justin "Spree" Strait
Garrison Tyranus
TR-61000

Vlade
TKID: 75233

Post by Vlade »

My set up (which has been temporary, I'm upgrading to a more permanent system here soon) is just one ac unit, splitting the airflow into three tubes. And even with the split, it's impossible to hear anything outside of the bucket. I just started talking to an electrical engineer buddy of mine to make an environmental sound system. I think that's going to be the only way around the noise, is pipe it in.

lilfear1

Post by lilfear1 »

NoslenLRAc wrote:I'm very intrigued. I might have to try them...

Here's the site for those units:
http://www.myhandycooler.com/index.html
They are cheaper on other sale sites (amazon, ebay)

How long do the batteries work?
What type of batteries are you using?
Do you have to refill the sponge often? The web site says 30 minutes - 2 hours.

Are your fans mounted on your back or on your chest?
I assume they are under your inner robes, correct?
Do they protrude from under your robes?

here is a better way to buy instead of spending $50. this one is about $10 and if you have amazon plus u get free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Toworld18-Handhel ... B008ZPGACY

NoslenLRAc
TKID: 2275

Post by NoslenLRAc »

I'm assuming these harnesses are set up on your backs.
Are they noticeable? ie, can fans see the pack on you while trooping?
In service of the Emperor,

TR-2275
Carl Nelson (aka Noslen L'Rac)

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Have a couple of O2 personal fans which combined worked well up the tubing BUT the issue I am having is that sitting at the small of the back under the outer robe they are choking off due to sucking at the robes and pulling them against the face of the fans.... haven't figured a way around this yet... anyone have the same problem and worked around it? Maybe some sort of plastic shield or something???

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Ootini wrote:Have a couple of O2 personal fans which combined worked well up the tubing BUT the issue I am having is that sitting at the small of the back under the outer robe they are choking off due to sucking at the robes and pulling them against the face of the fans.... haven't figured a way around this yet... anyone have the same problem and worked around it? Maybe some sort of plastic shield or something???
I have two fans and velcro one to the inside of each of my knees/calves. I run one tube from each, and both go into my helmet. If using both I position one to the top of my head to blow down on the visor and my face. If using two I add the second one near my neck/chin to blow up towards the visor. They suck fresh cool air off the floor/ground very nicely and don't have to suck air through multiple layers of velvet. When my velvet got hot/sweaty, I found it would blow warm muggy air into my helmet, which is what I was trying to avoid.

When indoors, cooler air is around floor level (hot air rises, remember?). It does require a bit more tubing, and something to keep the tubes in place, but I find it exponentionally better at getting fresher non-muggy air. It also helps, when standing around for photos, to keep air moving around your legs. It pulls air away from your legs to the helmet, which then pulls new air under the robes. I find I can often get away with one fan indoors, and use both when outdoors to combat the sun/heat.

Because the fans are that much lower, I find the noise inside the helmet is almost negligible. I can hear most conversations reasonably well, depending on the person's voice.

Should be able to see some of my fan setup in my WiP in the ROTJ episode.

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Ended up fixin the problem pretty easily... took some dead plastic gift cards, bent them in half and then taped it over the intake. Now it doesn't seal off against the robes and they work really well. Trooped a straight 3 hours in it without heat issues. Even the wife that can normally only go 30-40 min was doing 2 hours comfortably.

It works really well though I want to do a V2 that is a little more locked and set in place but it works well and holds up as is!