help identifying helmet and making it fit

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

This_Is_TinN

help identifying helmet and making it fit

Post by This_Is_TinN »

Hi, casual kir kanos fan here :jax: I picked up this casted Royal Guard helmet and cheap costume over the weekend for a stupid low price, and I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to make it actually fit my noggin. won't go any lower than my eyebrows where the neck is. I heard from some 501st friends claiming they know of Sovereign Protectors who cut their helmets in order to fit them, but I doubt that mod would pass approvals. Anything I can do short of selling it and buying a new one?
The cheap film that they called a visor I had removed, and the step for the visor was cracked on the right side. Lots of scuffing all over the thing. I think the right side sits higher than the left. Gonna need a lot of work to make it presentable. For now, it sits on top of my tower fan with the soft parts inside as a stand.
I think the maker is Rubies or Don Post. Either way, I def am not gonna try applying to 501st with the soft parts. Probably would go for ROTS Royal and TFU Royal once I clear up my costume queue :saberpike:

B-Man

Re: help identifying helmet and making it fit

Post by B-Man »

Hi,

I can’t help with identifying it, but I had the same problem with a 3d printed Senate Guard helmet I’m currently working on not fitting past my temples/eye area.

I made a cut in the center back and up over the top to about the center top. I then prised it out carefully and braced it while I filled the gap with a wedge of scrap plastic and internal bracing.

That widened it enough to get it on. It’s still a bit tight getting it on, but it does now go on my head and it’s looking ok to me.

Perhaps this method would work for you.

Glen.
Rebel Legion Member - B-Wing Pilot.
Naboo Outpost - New Zealand.

Mace Ripper
TKID: 17760

Post by Mace Ripper »

That helmet is an original 1990s Don Post softer vinyl helmet. I bought mine from the Star Wars Fan Club/Hyperspace in 1995. It is fragile and when heated by the sun/high temperatures will be very flexible. Be warned. If you leave it on it's back or face in storage it will slowly deform. Best to make a stand for it.

Check the forums for proper modifications to the Don Post helmet. You may want to ask if they are still allowed, but IMHO, it is one of the best sculpts out there, just small on most people. Here is a picture of my two Don Post Helmets. One is white, harder PVC like material and the closer one is the maroon vinyl. I lined both with fiberglass cloth and epoxy to repair holes and act as reinforcement. Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aislefive
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 29292

Post by aislefive »

B-Man wrote: ↑Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm Hi,

I can’t help with identifying it, but I had the same problem with a 3d printed Senate Guard helmet I’m currently working on not fitting past my temples/eye area.

I made a cut in the center back and up over the top to about the center top. I then prised it out carefully and braced it while I filled the gap with a wedge of scrap plastic and internal bracing.

That widened it enough to get it on. It’s still a bit tight getting it on, but it does now go on my head and it’s looking ok to me.

Glen.
This one might of been to just scale up 5% and reprint, the Mohawk is going to be harder to scale to make it fit.
Mark Naber
TR-29292
Aislefive
Ohio Garrison
Gem City Squad
Garrison Membership Liaison

B-Man

Post by B-Man »

aislefive wrote: ↑Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:50 am
B-Man wrote: ↑Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm Hi,

Glen.
This one might of been to just scale up 5% and reprint, the Mohawk is going to be harder to scale to make it fit.
Hi aislefive,

Yes scaling it up would be better but I had someone else print it and I won’t be getting another one done as it’s too expensive. I’ve already widened the mohawks…

Original bristle mohawk:

Bristle mohawk widened and braced:

Bristle mohawk fitted:

Solid mohawk widened and braced:

Solid mohawk top filled:

Filling and priming is underway.

Cheers,

Glen.
Rebel Legion Member - B-Wing Pilot.
Naboo Outpost - New Zealand.

romamu
TKID: 16115

Post by romamu »

Me gusta el casco, pero es muy pequeña la visera, se empañaría muy rápido aun echando producto tipo buzo.

This_Is_TinN

Post by This_Is_TinN »

Thanks all, it's a Don Post. I figure cutting the back and filling it in may be too much trouble so I'm gonna go the 3D print route instead and make a Shadow Guard since they're lightsaber using Force sensitives, which are the two requirements for joining Saber Guild so they're cross-club compatible. :shadow: wish me luck!
Last edited by This_Is_TinN on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

Good luck! We have a lot of Shadows lurking around here, if you need help just holler :trsuit: :shadow:

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Kam_den_Vox
TKID: 10527

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

This_Is_TinN wrote: ↑Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:21 pm Thanks all, it's a Don Post. I figure cutting the back and filling it in may be too much trouble so I'm gonna go the 3D print route instead and make a Shadow Guard since they're lightsaber using Force sensitives, which are the two requirements for joining Saber Guild so they're cross-club compatible. :shadow: wish me luck!
What are you doing with your Don Post helmet? I used to have one and it fit me, but it came to me broken and my repairs never held.
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Naval Line Officer - Vice Admiral
Garrison Excelsior - Nickel City Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

This_Is_TinN

Post by This_Is_TinN »

Kam_den_Vox wrote: ↑Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 pm
This_Is_TinN wrote: ↑Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:21 pm Thanks all, it's a Don Post. I figure cutting the back and filling it in may be too much trouble so I'm gonna go the 3D print route instead and make a Shadow Guard since they're lightsaber using Force sensitives, which are the two requirements for joining Saber Guild so they're cross-club compatible. :shadow: wish me luck!
What are you doing with your Don Post helmet? I used to have one and it fit me, but it came to me broken and my repairs never held.
I was planning on cleaning it up, then selling it online somewhere. I could sell it to you as-is if you want it, it's been in storage for the past few months.