3d Printed Parts

Maxall
TKID: 71576

3d Printed Parts

Post by Maxall »

Slip fitting PVC together for a saber pike has the look, but the body of the saber pike flexes so much. Especially over time.

Has anyone tried to make 3d printed parts that go on a straight body Ultra-Saber or Saber forge lightsaber and extensions? Seems like that would be a way to get there.
v/r,

Dave

Shadow Guard - (5 Protection Details)

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Re: 3d Printed Parts

Post by Batsk »

You're right that the PVC flexes quite a bit but I look at it as a bonus. When I started practicing with some of the local saber legion folks we found that these PVC pikes can really take a beating. One of the guys with a pike made from those 24" extensions bent them. But I'm not trying to downplay what you're wanting to do. Have you looked into Endor Armory's saberpikes? They're the only group that make an aluminum saberpike for folks like us right now.

Maxall

Post by Maxall »

Batsk wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 am Have you looked into Endor Armory's saberpikes? They're the only group that make an aluminum saberpike for folks like us right now.
I did. 600 Euro seemed a bit steep. That's more than even I can justify.

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

I agree that sabers are rather expensive. Any of the decent sabersmiths will begin at around the $400 mark for a custom saber. My first pike was like yours. A PVC pipe with 3d printed handles and I installed a Nano Biscotte V3 with tri cree red red white and it has served me well for over 5 years now. Like you mentioned earlier those PVC pikes do tend to flex. Honestly when it comes to a fully featured aluminum saberpike with sound and motion and a light up blade it is very difficult to get below $500. Sadly the last time I tried to get an accurate aluminum pike made (just the pike without electronics) I was quoted $1500. It's really sad for us because we love our kits and want the most awesome looking parts available but then you have to deal with the costs as well.

Maxall

Post by Maxall »

Yeah... the price is cost prohibitive. Especially when foreign (EURO or GBP) is involved.

Hrm.. I think the issue is that the slip joints just are not long enough. If instead of 1.5" of the slip joint covered, 4 or 5" on each end that might help stiffen it up. The cover these longer slip joints with the 3d printed parts.

Or... If the main body of the staff was made of SCHD 40 PVC (thicker stuff). that could provide the rigidity needed. Then slip the blade in the top end. Transporting one like this would stink though.

There has to be a cost effective way to do this.