Glaive kit project

Gee2

Glaive kit project

Post by Gee2 »

I'm in the process of machining blades and "end caps" in an effort to produce a semi-functional/close to accurate CE glaive. If enough folks are interested I would consider making some molds for a kit. The breakdown would be 2 blades with milled circuitry, 2 end caps with milled/turned details and fins all from a cold cast resin (aluminum/brass) that can be buffed to look like metal and instructions on putting it all together with a handle you provide.

Is there any interest in this?
TR/BH/SL-4073

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: Glaive kit project

Post by Darth Skellington »

I would be curious to see what it looks like. As I've stated before in various discussions, a lot of the CE stuff I see, for my tastes, either works or it doesn't. If I like the way it looks and it "clicks" with me, I'd definitely be interested. If it doesn't click..then obviously I wouldn't. :P
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

Darth Skellington wrote:I would be curious to see what it looks like.
Ditto. I wanna rock a Femme Kanos or Jax at DragonCon. :jax:

Gee2

Post by Gee2 »

A few shots of the blade detail, it is milled into both sides;

TR/BH/SL-4073

Darth Skellington

Very cool looking. How flexible/brittle would the resin be? How do you plan on attaching them to the endcaps/hilt? Would they be removeable?

I had planned on following Torso-Boy's glaive concept. His had a pvc pipe handle and endcaps. The narrow end of the blade would slide into the endcap/pipe. The hilt and blade would have a hole drilled through them. This would allow a thumbscrew, not unlike those seen on lightsabers, to be inserted completely through all pieces holding the blade in place. It could then be unscrewed and removed to pull the blade out.

Gee2

Post by Gee2 »

The resin would have some flex to it, but it would not stand up to full on contact with a more substantial object. The blades and endcaps are designed to work as the CE reference version. The blades can be housed within the handle and will slide through the endcaps with the option of locking them in place. But again the handle portion is up to the individual.
If the resin turn out to be too brittle I may consider foam with the same cold casting method.
TR/BH/SL-4073

Darth Skellington

Interesting. How wide is the blade at the big end and at the small end ("neck")? And, how wide a hilt would it need to fit into?

I'd planned on making the small end of my blade big enough to slide within the pipe I would use for the hilt , but the wide blade part itself would be too big to ever fit within hilt. This would keep the asthetic look of the comic art, but also maintain the the physical impossibility of making a working glaive. :(

I can't remember what pipe size I'd planned on using, but it was no bigger than FX lightsaber hilt. My thought was for it to fit comfortably in my grip, so that it wouldn't go flying if I ever tried to learn how to twirl the thing. :P

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

My saberpike dowl is 1 1/2 circumference and is a good standard size for a grip of the weapon.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Gee2

Post by Gee2 »

The blade is 1.55, that's as small as it could go before it looked cartoonish. The "handle" you choose should have a 1.60 ID and a 1.75 OD, I would provide the information on where to get it after purchasing the kit.
TR/BH/SL-4073