Bdgr's Force Pike Build

bdgr
TKID: 4468

Bdgr's Force Pike Build

Post by bdgr »

All,

Here is my version of the ROTJ Force Pike.

Materials:
1) Force Pike Body: 48" Wooden Pool Stick from Wally World
2) Force Pike Tip: Children Medicine Syringe
3) End of Force Pike Tip Nut: 9/16 Hex Nut from Lowes => Decided to eliminate this piece in final force pike
4) Rasp Base: 1/2 PVC coupling P/N 50105 from Lowes => Replaced with cut up glue stick
5) Rasp Teeth: Cut up ABS sheets => Used Rasp teeth pieces supplied from tb750
6) Force Pike Black Handles: 1 x Hoover Upright 16" Extension Wand Part # 38634078. Cut in two. My old vacuum had two extension wands, so I had a free spare.
7) Force Pike Black Handle Supports: Black O Rings of various sizes
8) Force Pike Pommel: 3/4" PVC Check Valve from Lowes
9) Force Pike Pommel Assembly Screw: Long Black Deck Screw from Lowes
10) Force Pike Paints: Grey Primer, Flat Black, and Silver from Lowes

Detailed Build:
1) Force Pike Body. I removed the little glued on plastic ring at the end of the 48" Wooden Pool Stick that I purchased. It gave a little edge for the Pommel to actually sit on. I sanded the pool stick down to get a smoother surface. A little trick after initial sanding is to spray it with the grey primer, which allowed me to see additional nicks in the wood that I first missed. There was actually a small gouge in the wood that I somehow missed. I filled in the nicks with wood putty, sanded smooth, and sprayed grey primer on the whole body.

2) Force Pike Tip: I used an old Childrens Medicine Syringe. I cut off the tip and filled it with wood putty. the pictures below show the unmodified syringe and a test fitting on the Force Pike Body before I cut off the extra piece at the base.

3) End of Force Pike Tip Nut. I found the perfect size hex nut to fit on my Force Pike. Removed and replaced with a simple rubber washer.

4) Rasp Base: Used part of a glue stick. I just cut the empty glue stick cylinder to the proper length to fit the resin Rasp teeth.

5) Rasp Teeth: Got 6 Resin Pieces from tb750 (Thanks John). Wrapped sand paper around the Rasp base and rubbed the resin rasp teeth pieces against it to get the proper curved shape to get them to sit flush with the Rasp base. I marked the Rasp base with a sharpie and glued the 6 Rasp teeth Here is an image of the unpainted ROTJ Force Pike rasp:

6) Force Pike Black Handles. I used an old Hoover vacuum extension wand. It was slightly tapered and could easily be cut with my dremel. I also used various black o rings to help support the handles (7: Force Pike Black Handle Supports). The handles are actually pretty snug without having to use any glue. Below are pics of the black handle before and after cutting it.

8) Force Pike Pommel. I didn't like using a faucet handle, so I found a PVC Check Valve with the general shape of the real Force Pike Pommel images. I had to cut off one of the ends with my dremel.

9) Force Pike Pommel Assembly Screw. I drilled a larger hole in the end of the pool stick and reused the rubber end that came with it. The rubber end can be seen in the above picture of the Pommel.

Here are test fitting images of the different components before actual painting.

Below pic is missing the Rasp Base.

Images after painting. I also smoothed out the area between the black handle with bondo before painting it for the final force pike.

Enjoy.
Last edited by bdgr on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdgr
TB/TS/TI/IC/IG/IS/CC/TR/TA/IN/TD 4468

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: Bdgr's Force Pike Build

Post by Darth Skellington »

Very nice tutorial Eric. :trsuit: You've got some really good ideas there. I especially like the syringe as a pike tip. For some reason it's hard to find suitable parts that will work as a tip. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos as you approach completion.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

Not sure how far along you are with the rasp....but I noticed the pvc fitting you are using as the base is not flat...rather it is almost arched. If you have trouble gluing the spikes to the unlevel surface, you might try cutting a groove into the pvc using a dremel. It'll be a little work to do it right, but it might add some stability. I did something like that so I could glue the fins onto my glaive endcaps.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

bdgr

Post by bdgr »

Yeah. The PVC coupling that I'm using as the Rasp base is slighly arched. I did sand the arch down a little, so if you look at the picture of it painted (2nd last image), it is flatter. We will see how good the Rasp Teeth glue onto the base. I might just have to cut grooves or something as suggested.
bdgr

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I do like the use of the alternate faucet end. Very creative.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

That is a really nifty way of doing things. Well done!

Wolfman37
TKID: 4673

Post by Wolfman37 »

bdgr: Where did you find the children's medical syringe? Or, did you just happen to have one laying around?

Wolfman37

Post by Wolfman37 »

If I was following Bdgr's build as a guide to building Tiggie's forcepike, would it be acceptable to build one like Bdgr's for a ROTS Guard as long as the rasp was changed to reflect the stacked discs look of the ROTS forcepike?

I really like the way Bdgr's turned out, especially using the pvc check valve for the pommel.
Last edited by Wolfman37 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdgr

Post by bdgr »

Wolfman37 wrote:bdgr: Where did you find the children's medical syringe? Or, did you just happen to have one laying around?
With a little child in my house, I had it lying around.
bdgr

Wolfman37

Post by Wolfman37 »

Bdgr: I can see where that provided you with an advantage.

I have been unable to find one like that here locally, that isn't packaged with other baby care items I don't need(my kids are all teenagers).

Got a few places I haven't looked, so I'll keep trying.