Force Pike from Star Wars: The Blueprints

tomleech
TKID: 0

Force Pike from Star Wars: The Blueprints

Post by tomleech »

I saw a post from Cody comparing the potentially legit blueprint from the book to a behind the magic still suggesting it might be accurate and made an attempt at building a to-scale 3d model from the blueprint pic:

Bearing in mind the worm gear hob top section detail is just a rough approximation until I can get some more reference to that, I think it looks pretty decent but obviously the source material is at an angle and a little blurry. Some reference seems to show the pommel knob having flat sides but I don't have anything conclusive.

If anybody has Star Wars: The Blueprints and can get me a high res version of the blueprint it'd be great to redraw this more accurately.

I'm also planning on modelling up an accurate worm gear hob, preferably from the original part if anybody has a line on that.

Feel free to post any reference you guys have of the original prop here :)
Last edited by tomleech on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomleech

Re: Force Pike from Star Wars: The Blueprints

Post by tomleech »

Took a crack at the Worm Gear Hob section today, fairly pleased with how it's turning out:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The magic of 3d modeling. Looks great.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

tomleech

Post by tomleech »

Sorry in advance for the large images, the BBCode to have small, clickable thumbnails doesn't seem to work here...

Well I got hold of a high res version of those blueprints and redrew it from that:

I also found a fishing pole (what the original was made with according to those prints) at walmart that seemed about the right size and adapted my model a little so the pole would thread in and successfully printed myself a prototype :)

The model is currently being perspective matched to the available reference pics to see if anything needs tweaking and then I think I'm gonna look into doing a small run of accurate, machined pikes :D

tomleech

Post by tomleech »

Been tweaking my model and I believe I have it as accurate as I can get without discovering the exact parts or getting the chance to measure the original prop:

Should have some kind of cost estimate for a machined metal pike here soon for those interested :)

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Great job on your research.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

I'll be watching this progress with great interest.

tomleech

Post by tomleech »

Finished up the 3d print/fishing pole version. I tried chrome paint but wasn't happy with the result so used aluminum tape as on the original prop :)

Did a side comparison with the screen used/costume test and it suggests I can maybe take an inch or two off the fishing pole length so I likely will.
Also shows how much the Rubies helmet was expanded front to back vs the screen used.

tomleech

Post by tomleech »

I am doing a limited CNC machined run of these :D details are here:

http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 49&start=0

and on the RPF

tomleech

Post by tomleech »

Here's some prototype pics of my CNC machined run: