Senate Commandos

To discuss costumes from other detachments or organizations

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Senate Commandos

Post by Darth Skellington »

So I'm considering doing a Senate Commando, as seen in the Clone Wars CGI cartoon. These are basically the informal versions of the Blue Senate Guards, when the Senate is not in session. The Repubilc comic book series depicts a "casual" Seante Guard who works with Obi-Wan to investigate some criminal activities. At that time, the outfit looked not unlike a police officers unifrom, with a blue SWAT-type helmet. It would seem (and this is just my opinion), that with the onset of the Clone Wars, they adopted a new, more armored uniform, that is both functional and ceremonial.

The Senate Commando wears a blue set of Clone Trooper armor. Differences include an ornamental large shoulder armor plate on the left shoulder (closest to your heart), and a unique helmet, that resembeles a Trojan war helmet. Commandos have different helmets, based on position. Commandos have a small reverse fin on top of the helmet, and a visor closed in with a black lense (not unlike Boba Fett or ROTS Senate Guards). Officers, such as Captain Argyus, have a much larger reverse fin on the top, and Captain Argyus had no visor in his helmet (perhaps it was retracted somehow?) In the final episode of Clone Wars season 1, another officer is depicted with a black lense in his helmet......suggesting that it is retractable or at least removeable.

There are at least 3-4 uniquie paint jobs for Senate Commandos. Captain Argyus had two light gray stripes on his helmet (similar to the gray/green stripes on Wedge Antilles X-Wing helmet), and an ornamental Senate logo running down his entire left arm, including the oversized shoulder plate, wrist armor, and hand armor. The officer shown in the final episode featured different helmet markings, possibly different shoulder markings, and a senate logo on his chest as well.

I have not seen Season 2 yet, so I am not aware of other appearances at this time. I will attempt to post pictures when I can showing the different paint designs as seen in various episodes.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Senate Commandos

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Captain Jayfon

It appears Senate Grunts don't have any flash on their shoulders or helmet.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Darth Skellington

As seen at SDCC, a 2-pack of Captain Jayfon and a generic COmmando will be available this fall, apparently as an exclusive to somewhere.

Captain Argyus

Darth Skellington

Here's a repost of Lucious' image above that isn't loading.

Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Has there been any luck recently in finding a maker for the helmet/armor pieces required? I'm assuming that one of the standard clone armor kits would work for most (Animated Style Episode III?) but it appears that the pauldron and helmet were still what were keeping potential commandos from doing this.

Certainly a very smart looking rig. I know Lucious here has done a very nice looking Captain.

-M.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Mithras wrote:Has there been any luck recently in finding a maker for the helmet/armor pieces required? I'm assuming that one of the standard clone armor kits would work for most (Animated Style Episode III?) but it appears that the pauldron and helmet were still what were keeping potential commandos from doing this.

Certainly a very smart looking rig. I know Lucious here has done a very nice looking Captain.

-M.
As far as I know, LT is the only person who has even tackled this project.... and he had to make a lot of custom pieces in order to get it off the ground, including the helmet.... and yes, he is approved as Cpt. Argyus in the 501st

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The maker of the helmets is actually making new molds for the helmet. He hasn't done the shoulder yet again. As his teammate split ways. I'll contact him for you.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Mithras

Post by Mithras »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:The maker of the helmets is actually making new molds for the helmet. He hasn't done the shoulder yet again. As his teammate split ways. I'll contact him for you.
Thanks, Lucious. Will be interested to hear if you find anything out. May I ask - what other modifications did you need to do to get your commando armor "right"?

-M.

sandman

Post by sandman »

so are these guys both Captain Argyus and his blue clone guards behind him 501st approeved?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Arguyus is 501st approvable.... LT is the only member currently having an approved costume.

The generic senate commando hasn't been put through by anyone yet, so it would be considered a new to legion costume and it's eligibility for membership would be determined at that point.