Imperial Knights

To discuss costumes from other detachments or organizations

Gee2

Imperial Knights

Post by Gee2 »

This has bothered me for a bit.
Yes, I know there is an entire topic dedicated at the Flagship (EU) Forum, I myself have commented on it, but wouldn't it be more suited for our Site?
Royal guards are by definition the Emperor's protection, Imperial Knights are also just that, albeit 130yrs. in the future. I'm not talking to the good vs. bad or "gray" debate that has not allowed the costume to be approved, etc. just the fact that we have; blue senate guards (Rebel), red royal guards (Imp), black shadow guards (Imp), more royal guards and EU royal guards(Imp), so why not imperial knights charged with the same job?
TR/BH/SL-4073

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Re: Imperial Knights

Post by Ang »

Hey Gee, glad to have you back!

As for the Imperial Knights, I think it was decided a while ago that it was going EU, and I don't know enough about the Legacy comics to really post judgment about them. Same with the Imperial Sentinel, which I know are also EU and sort of on a weird rift.

It would make sense that they would be here, however, I don't want to steal the Flagship Eclipse's thunder, much like Special Ops let us have the Shadow Guard.

Gee2

Post by Gee2 »

Thanks, it's good to be back. Totally understand about the EU issue and I know this was Thomas' pet project, just thought we may want to keep an eye on them for future projects as the series unfolds...

As for info, directly from Wookiepedia;
The Imperial Knights, formally the Knights of the Empire, were an order of Force-practitioners loyal to Emperor Roan Fel of the Fel Empire from 130 ABY. They were fully trained in the ways of the Force and, unlike previous Imperial Force-based organizations, rejected the dark side of the Force.
However, the New Jedi Order considered them as Gray Jedi, as they swore loyalty to the will of the Emperor above all else, including their devotion to the will of the Force. Meanwhile, the One Sith considered them as forcelings inferior to the Jedi.
During the Sith-Imperial War, Emperor Roan Fel forbade them from participating in the hostilities
"We are Imperial Knights. We do our duty by the Emperor and by the Force—no matter the cost."
―Sigel Dare[src]
TR/BH/SL-4073

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

I got to see Thomas' costume at NYCC, it's quite nice. His work is insanely impressive. But yeah, we should keep an eye on it.

Twi'lek Pam

Post by Twi'lek Pam »

Hiya! It was decided quite some time ago (before my tenure as the DL of Flagship Eclipse, in fact) that the Imperial Knights would be represented by the FE detachment. While it's true that the Imperial Knights serve the Emperor fiercely, they aren't just his protectors. They do any job that he sends them out to do in order to serve the Empire. The same fierce loyalty shown by the Imperial Knights could be found in any stormtrooper or officer, but that doesn't make them all belong to this detachment because of it. The sole task of the Royal Guards is to protect their Emperor at all times. The Imperial Knights do far more than that. (I love the fact that Emperor Roan Fel is himself an Imperial Knight, trained and quite capable of protecting himself with his saber! That's just pretty darned cool!)

Pam :-)

P.S. I just lost the auction I was bidding on for the most PERFECT pair of red suede boots for my RG costume. Somebody outbid me by $5!! (Big dramatic sigh) Oh, well.... the search continues!

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

I forgot I was going to follow up on this. My understanding of the evolution of the Detachments has been that the onscreen costumes got divvied into their respective categories, and the EU stuff was largely lumped together. The Officers' Corps eventually took on Grand Admirals and Isard, and the Clonetroopers took on the Republic Commandos.

But the canon and non-canon Sith Lords are still on separate boards, with the other more sinister Imperial Agents keeping the EU SLs company on the Eclipse. I first brought up the Sentinels there, as that's where they'd belong under that structure. But the consensus was that they belonged here. Which is part of why we also have the Shadow Guards.

However, this isn't consistent, which bugs me. The Shadow Stormtrooper and Royal Guard Stormtrooper (erroneously called the Magmatrooper) are over in SpecOps, rather than the FISD, because they're EU. But the FISD is tackling the Stormtrooper repaints from The Force Unleashed, which is canon according to George despite being a video game. And they're all nothing but repainted standard TK armour, costume-wise. If we're going by G-Canon (the three pillars of George), the Shadow Guard belongs here, but the Sentinel and Crimson Empire Guards belong over at FE.

The lines are blurring a little as far as who's responsible for what, but I agree the Imperial Knights are Imperial Agents rather than direct Royal Guard analogues -- more an amalgam of Royal Guards, Jedi Knights, and Emperor's Hands.

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

I have always believed in the KISS method: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

With that said, it seems to me that the simplest solution is that all like costumes should be lumped into their respective detachments.

"But, Bill, that would mean there wouldn't be a need for FE or, possibly, Spec Ops!"

Exactly! Less plumbing, keep it simple. There really wasn't a need for FE (and possibly Spec Ops), other than detachment purists wanting to segregate themselves from that which is EU.

Since the 501st is embracing the EU even more, I see no reason to further divide the groups into what is high canon and quasi canon. What does it matter? It would have been better to place each costume according to catagory, instead of creating special detachments around the costumes. Again, plumbing that was unnecessarily added.

On another rabbit trail, RG's didn't just protect the Emporer. They protected all dignitaries of the Empire. They were, basically, the equivalent of the US Secret Service. Just as iwith the real world Secret Service, RG's could have gone on special assignments, as we see the Imperial Knights do.

My thought is that all Guards, be it Senate, Royal, Shadow, Sentinal or Knights, should be in this detachment, regardless of where the background information comes from with these characters.

- Bill

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

While the Imperial Knights served the Emperor, the latest comics reveal that they are allowed to KILL him should he dabble in the Dark Side.
Now THAT's a division.
That they serve the force above the Emperor's rule makes them far out of the realm of being guards. The guards don't take sides, deal in politics, or question their master's choices, nor give a rip what the force says. The Knights are able to.
The FE is a great and unique group for handling the knights.
Red men tell no tales.

Gee2

Post by Gee2 »

It doesn't seem to matter either way as Pam stated they belong to the FE, I know for a fact personally that they are in great hands by being a member of the detachment as Revan, but I do like the discussion, so;
Not sure I agree JJ, I made the leap that they served the office of the Emperor, or the ideal that the Emperor was the embodiment of the "New Order" (or whatever derivative of it is still in place after 130 yrs) over the individual, not the will of the Force. Therefore if the individual went batsh :o t crazy while Emperor (Darkside or other influence, bad clone batch, etc.) they are in place to ensure "the New Order" continues, regardless of the consequesnces. Or is it that I'm reading too much into the psyche of fictitious comic book characters?
TR/BH/SL-4073

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

Normally I would say you were 100% on the money. It's the shocking statements made by Ganner Krieg in the latest issue of Legacy, #29, that defied that mission.
"The Imperial Knights have another purpose, established since our founding, which you seem to have forgotten! As Imperial Knights, we obey the Emperor, but ONLY as long as the Emperor serves the light side of the force.
Should he ever turn to the dark side, our duty is to bring him back to the light or remove him. It is to the Force that we ultimately owe our allegiance, Draco."

I figure that it was decided when the New-er Order came along, it was necessary to avoid the power madness of Palpatine by setting safeguards(so to speak) against the Emperor. Sith and dark jedi are prone to lust for power beyond the safety of their people, so that had to be put in check should it happen again.
Damnable position that, killing a brother should it be necessary. But logically, who could do it better?
JJ
Red men tell no tales.