Shadow Guard WIP, Finland

As seen in the video game "The Force Unleashed". Now an approved costume!

Zniper98
TKID: 71137

Shadow Guard WIP, Finland

Post by Zniper98 »

Hello everyone!
I'm Jussi from Finland, and I decided to start my journey towards 501st membership about 2 years ago.
At first I wanted to make a Royal Guard, but then I saw the Shadow Guard build and my mind was made.
So, as a person from Finland I have noticed that there are super few posts that actually give details of how one should approach their first costume for 501st as a person not from USA when it comes to finding components etc.
So, after getting help from my local Garrison and starting my build, I decided to make a post that I wish I had found a long time ago. Here I will record my journey from scraps to a full costume, and hopefully manage to keep myself in schedule!
The idea is that while yes, my main language will be English, I will also be writing almost exact same sentences in Finnish to help those in my area that do not possess the same level of proficiency with this language as I think I do :D
Without further ado, let's get started!

Hei kaikille!
Nimeni on Jussi, ja aloin haaveilla 501st Legionin jäsenyydestä noin 2 vuotta sitten.
Aluksi ajattelin että teen Royal Guardin, mutta huomattuani Shadow Guardin jäin sille tielle.
Suomalaisena huomasin, että neuvojen löytäminen täältä foorumin puolelta on lähes mahdotonta ainakin näin ihmisenä joka ei tule USAsta, kun puhutaan asun komponenttien löytämisestä.
Joten, päästyäni puheväleihin paikallisen Garrisonin kanssa ja aloitettuani asuni tekemisen, päätin että haluan aloittaa sellaisen postin jonka olisin toivonut löytäväni kauan sitten. Kirjaan tänne parhaani mukaan edistysaskeleeni (ja kompastuskiveni) ja toivottavasti saan pysyttyä aikataulussa!
Ideana on että vaikka englanti tulee olemaan pääkieli, kirjoitan kaiken myös suomeksi auttaakseni niitä, joilla englanti ei välttämättä kielenä ole yhtä vahva. :D
Eipä sen enempää sanottavaa, eiköhän aloiteta!

So, the first step I took was to scout through the forums (not as a registered user, but by all means do that!!!!) for possible help or guidelines. While yes, I was able to find posts related to the costume I was interested in, I couldn't find one that could help me with the -find everything necessary process-.
While doing that I found a Facebook group called "Walt's Trooper Factory", which sounded promising. I had contacted another vendor earlier about the same proposition (full armor), but they never responded when I had acquired the necessary funds (for obvious reasons I will leave their identity out of this post). So, Walt responded to me really quickly and I have to say I was baffled by the sheer amount of proficiency and kindness this person had. So, when I found out that there was a sale on Shadow Guard Armor, I had to go for it! And as expected, they delivered the components really quick (6-8 weeks or so), and here it is!

Ensimmäinen askel tällä taipaleella oli selata foorumien läpi (en rekisteröityneenä käyttäjänä, mutta suosittelen rekisteröitymään) etsiessäni apua ja vinkkejä. Vaikka löysin asuuni liittyviä julkaisuja, en löytänyt sellaisia jotka olisivat auttaneet USA:n ulkopuolella asuvaa henkilö asun komponenttien hankkimisessa. Kuitenkin löysin Facebook-sivun nimeltä "Walt's Trooper Factory", joka kuulosti hyvältä. Olin jo ottanut toiseen jälleenmyyjään yhteyttä armorini rakentamisesta, mutta kyseinen myyjä (jonka henkilöllisyyttä en selvistä syistä paljasta) ei ikinä vastannut hankittuani varat asun hankkimiseen. Walt kuitenkin vastasi nopeasti, ja hänen puhdas ystävällisyytensä ja ammattitaitonsa yllättivät minut täysin. Joten kun sitten kuulin että Shadow Guard Armor oli alennuksessa, oli minun pakko se hankkia. He jopa toimittivat sen nopeasti (6-8vko). Kuvat alla.

After ordering the armor I decided that I need to get more components, but with my limited budget I was left with the undersuit. After scouring the web I finally found one which suited my needs from Biltema, and even though I had to take apart 2 thigh pockets (one of which connected with the main seam) and sewing 2 pockets closed I am really happy with how it came around! (If anyone notices anything that is not acceptable in the CRL, please throw me a comment!)

Armorin tilaamisen jälkeen päätin, että tarvitsen lisää komponentteja, mutta rajallisen budjettini takia alusasu oli ainoa vaihtoehto. Etsittyäni verkosta löysin sopivan haalarin Bilteman verkkosivuilta, ja vaikka minun tarvitsikin ratkoa 2 reisitaskua (joista toinen oli kiinnitetty pääsaumaan) ja ommella umpeen 2 normaalia taskua olen tyytyväinen lopputulokseen! (Mikäli huomaatte jotain CRL:n vastaista heittäkää kommentti!)

And so I was happy with what I had. But at this point I was going to pay a visit to a member of the Nordic Garrison whom I had met before, and realized she had a Shadow Guard as a never ending project, so I decided to ask if I could buy some glue and a pike from her, and she went for it! I now got a pike!!!!

Tässä vaiheessa olin tyytyväinen aikaansaannoksiini, mutta olin menossa aiemmin tapaamani Nordic Garrisonin jäsenen luo kylään ja kuulin, että hänellä oli ikuisuusprojektina Shadow Guard, joten päätin kysyä jos voisin ostaa häneltä liimaa ja Saber Piken ja hän suostui! Joten nyt minulla on myös Saber Pike!!!!

I have already ordered gloves and belt from Mazcave, but I'll post again once they arrive. Unfortunately Boots are going to have to wait for now, since my budget is already blown for the year. But hey, the journey has begun!!! :shadow:
Please do give feedback as it is highly appreciated!

Olen jo tilannut hanskat ja vyön Mazcavelta, mutta postaan uudelleen kun saan ne. Ikävä kyllä saappaat saavat odottaa, sillä olen jo ylittänyt budjettini tälle vuodelle. Mutta hei, matka on alkanut! :shadow:
Arvostan kaikkea annettua palautetta!

As for the budget so far; The full armor on sale was 375$ + 86$ from shipping + 137$ after taxes and customs fee = 598$
The undersuit cost about 35,5$
and the pike + glue was around 260$
So in total, this has cost me 893,5$

Budjetista; Koko armori alennusmyynnistä kustansi noin 317€ + 72€ kuljetus + 116€ verot ja tulli = 505€
Alusasu maksoi noin 30€
Ja pike + liima oli yhteensä 220€
Eli yhteensä tämä puku on maksanut tähän mennessä noin 755€

I'll keep you posted!
Edistysaskelista ilmoittaen

Jussi

Allan1313
TKID: 97491

Re: Shadow Guard WIP, Finland

Post by Allan1313 »

Looking good so far! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Red TFU Guard
Empire City Garrison

Zniper98

Post by Zniper98 »

They finally arrived! Unfortunately due to school and life in general I haven't made too much progress on the armor itself, but I'm hoping to make some during the holidays! :shadow:

Ne on täällä! Ikävä kyllä kouluhommien ja elämän takia en ole saanut armoria sen pidemmälle, mutta toivottavasti projekti etenee lomien aikana! :shadow:

Last edited by Zniper98 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

The belt looks great as do the gauntlets. It is especially nice that the rivet doesn't show on the belt.
Did you make the modification to the belt or did you buy it without the shown rivet? If you bought it
who was the seller. I could use a new belt. :)

Zniper98

Post by Zniper98 »

The gloves and belt were made by MazCave from Etsy, and I highly recommend you check her out. The items are shown as they were made and delivered to me, and the picture was taken straight out of box. :shadow:

Maxall
TKID: 71576

Post by Maxall »

I love the Saber Pike that you have. Where did you get it from?

Shadow Guard - (5 Protection Details)

Maxall

Post by Maxall »

Batsk wrote: ↑Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:29 am If you bought it who was the seller. I could use a new belt. :)
I got my belt from Darman's' Props on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/DarmansProps? ... =629221573. If you specify in the notes, he will send it w/o a rivet. You can order with and without the grooves.

Dave

Zniper98

Post by Zniper98 »

Maxall wrote: ↑Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:06 pm I love the Saber Pike that you have. Where did you get it from?
I bought it from a fellow garrison member! They are super helpful and incredible people ^>^

Zniper98

Post by Zniper98 »

So, a little update on where I'm at. I decided that my first action will be to cut out all the excess plastic from around the parts, and then worry about sanding them etc.
I quickly decided that just using my hobby knife was going to give me either real slow or just unwanted results, so I decided to try and first make a chain of holes with my miniature drill, and then just cut the plastic between the dots.

Pieni päivitys edistyksestä. Päätin leikata kaiken ylimääräisen muovin pois ennen hiomista yms, mutta totesin nopeasti että hobby knife on liian hidas ja tuottaa enemmän vahinkoja. Tämän takia päätin, että teen ensin jonon reikiä miniatyyriporallani, jonka jälkeen käytän veistä leikatakseni liitokset reikien väleistä.

It even worked as I had hoped! All I needed was a little more whittling with a hobby knife and I ended up with a decently clean and nice surface. It is nowhere near ready, but now I just need to sand it!

Se jopa toimi! Tämän jälkeen ei tarvinnut kuin veistellä menemän ja lopputulos oli suhteellisen puhdas ja mukava pinta. Ei vielä lähelläkään valmista, mutta seuraavaksi ei tarvitse kuin hioa pinta!

I did this to both sides of the vambraces and the chest, the back has so little extra material that I'm probably gonna take care of it as I sand away. I haven't started on the spats yet.

Tein tämän molemmille kyynärvarren panssareille ja rintapanssarille, selkäpanssarissa oli niin vähän ekstraa että se tulee hoidettua hiomisen yhteydessä. Nilkkaimiin en ole vielä koskenutkaan.

Slowly but surely!

Hitaasti mutta varmasti!

Maxall

Post by Maxall »

Love the work that you're doing. Great job thinking outside the box using a model drill to make holes and then cut.

If you can find an R/C Car store nearby or online they make scissors that are built to cut ABS plastic like that. You may find that easier or at least quicker.

I picked up a pair like these: https://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Trimmin ... 83&sr=8-25

Keep up the good work.

Dave