Shadow Gaurd TFU (WIP) Any help is appreciated

As seen in the video game "The Force Unleashed". Now an approved costume!

RainbowVOD

Shadow Gaurd TFU (WIP) Any help is appreciated

Post by RainbowVOD »

Hey fellow Guardsmen, I'm looking to start work on sourcing, building, and well, generally everything In-between when it comes to producing a full TFU shadow guard ensemble. I completely expect this topic thread to contain over a hundred plus posts by the time this thing gets finished as I'm going in with about as much knowledge as a caveman knows about steel, I know the end product, I understand some of the materials, but outside of that I have zero idea of how to accomplish the task.

As mentioned in a reply on my introduction post over in the new members section I have taken a look around the block in terms of other shadow guard builders and most of the talk went way over my head.

Thankfully at the very least I know that based on the CRL I can determine that I would like to make one with a Gloss finish on the applicable parts (I have a thing for the shiny armor, matte was never really my thing), and I would like to get the full qualifications and optional modifications done as well, so things like the robes and saberpike.

I tend to learn best by being hands on with things like this, so please forgive me if I dont understand things on a video or by text, and I tend to ask a ton of questions to get the full scope on things, I'll try my best!

Quick question before I smack that submit button and wait for replies, the CRL to my knowledge does not say anything about requiring weathering on the TFU Shadow guard, and as a matter of personal opinion I generally don't care much for weathering(I don't hate it, but I can live without it, yaknow?), I really love the factory new/well maintained look, as far as I'm aware I'm a minority in that opinion and I know a fair bit of costumes require the weathering when submitted for review, is that the case of the TFU SG? or can I get that desired pristine polished look I enjoy seeing in all manners of armored uniforms?

I look forwards to all manners of replies and beginning this journey!, I take constructive criticism and debates/opinions and all that well so please don't be afraid at all to speak your mind to me

:shadow: (apologies if any of this seems relatively incoherent at the time of writing I am somewhat sleepy.)
If you need to get in contact with me outside of this forum or in some other manner regarding the costume, please do not hesitate to let me know, I'm very friendly!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Shadow Gaurd TFU (WIP) Any help is appreciated

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Questions are always welcome. There are many folks here ready to give help from their experience in making the kit.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Sith Lord
TKID: 11409

Post by Sith Lord »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Questions are always welcome. There are many folks here ready to give help from their experience in making the kit.
Plenty of posts, pics and questions are always welcome. We'll do our best to answer.

Answer number one: Polish away to your hearts content. Polish that paint right off! No weathering required.

RainbowVOD

Post by RainbowVOD »

thank you all, ill take that polish advice to heart!

I guess my first question would be, where do I start, and how do I begin obtaining the pieces of armor and helmet?

:shadow:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Helmet can be from many avenues. From a repainted rubies to a resin to 3d printed. The tfu guard helmets are based on the narrower rots helmets but either is acceptable. There are several avenues for kits. Some are better at representing the game version. The chest is a tk chest and the back is a non detailed backplate. Shins can be made from heated sintra. That's a bit of a starter for you.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

RainbowVOD

Post by RainbowVOD »

I appreciate the advice, though I must admit 99% of it went over my head, could you perchance take the time to elaborate fully on the materials and ways to acquire kits? Just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible! also if it makes anything easier I wanna go for max CRL cert level and as game/artwork accurate as I can.

:shadow:

Arcadius256

Post by Arcadius256 »

(I just refreshed my essay that I was about to post :soap: so it's gone but I'll reiterate)

Gloves and boots aren't too difficult. I recommend buying and you can use the shopping tab (right under the search bar after you've searched something) on Google to have it search for "leather gloves", "english riding boots", or "equestrian boots". I recently bought gloves through leather mystics on amazon and they were a great price. The online store Imperial Boots sells boots, gloves, and jumspsuits but they are expensive. Gloves and boots altogether will cost you about $100-$250 depending on where you get them from and what currency you are working with.

Jumpsuits, undersuits, coveralls, etc, aren't that hard to make if you wanted to buy some material (cotton or twill?) and have someone make it for you, either someone you know or a seamstress. Otherwise search up "work jumpsuit", "work coveralls", "flight suit" etc. There are to be no pockets, however, so you'll have to remove them or find one without them if you buy.

The kama is made of the same material of the undersuit but generally shouldn't be difficult. According to the Costume Reference Library (CRL) it is a trapezoid shape and connects to the belt and reaches down to your knees, ending just above them. Just buy the same fabric as your undersuit and cut it to what you need. It will wrap around you halfway. You can just use paper or something else to prototype.

The belt is more tricky. There are small details that must be adhered to. Others have gone through and recommend Tiggwolf Creations on Facebook. They seem happy to do belts so I would get in contact with them. Just make sure to mention that there is to be no rivets. Otherwise you'd have to find someone else or make it yourself, little details and all.

The hard armour is where I have even less knowledge, but people recommend Walt's trooper factory http://waltstrooperfactory.com/contact-us/ (website or facebook) and Kamino Custom on facebook https://www.facebook.com/KaminoCustom/about/. Most places 3d print with ABS (stronger, more expensive) or PLA (detail-oriented, cheaper) but with enough infill PLA will be more than fine. Just ask lots of questions and make sure it will fit. Otherwise you could use foam for the armour, you'd have to do some research about that but it's not a bad way to go. For kit building you'd just have to watch a few videos about gluing and trimming, etc.

The outer robe is based off of the Attack Of The Clones Royal Guard robes, in that it has two panels, front and back. But they are slightly modified so be aware of that. Velvet or similar material. The forum (https://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12) for the Attack Of The Clones Royal Guards will have good pictures to base the robe pattern off of ans well as all the other info. Something like this I think https://imgur.com/JJBxcjp

I hope this helps you get started, just remember to take your time. Wait until you are happy with what you're getting. And this isn't definitive or anything, I only wish to guide you. A lot of the information you need is in the forums and you should get familiar with the search function. https://www.forcepike.net/forum/search.php . This is a really nice discussion to follow with links to stores and working pictures and the end product look fantastic https://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=3390 . I'm working on a considerably less popular build but I still managed to find everything I needed thankfully, and I'm sure you can too! May the (evil) force be with you!

DAK82
TKID: 26656

Post by DAK82 »

rwa creations on facebook dos the hard parts and look more like the CRLs (in my eyes)

RainbowVOD

Post by RainbowVOD »

Arcadius256 wrote:Gloves and boots aren't too difficult. I recommend buying and you can use the shopping tab (right under the search bar after you've searched something) on Google to have it search for "leather gloves", "english riding boots", or "equestrian boots". I recently bought gloves through leather mystics on amazon and they were a great price. The online store Imperial Boots sells boots, gloves, and jumspsuits but they are expensive. Gloves and boots altogether will cost you about $100-$250 depending on where you get them from and what currency you are working with.
Im working with USD (US dollars) as a currency. I appreciate the tip on the shopping tab, its certainly useful albeit I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find something that matches the full lvl 3 CRL for the boots, and understand what half of the stuff the CRL is asking them be like. What is riding style? what is a snap tab? what counts as decoration? what is a conservative heel? how do i tell if boots have a stretch panel? what is spanish, superhero, or cowboy style?

If anyone knows were I can just find reasonably priced full CRL lvl 3 approved riding boots that would be appreciated, Im trying to find some myself but I feel my inexperience with "boot knowledge" might be my downfall on this, and it could help others looking for crl approved boots in the future anyways to be able to just toss them a link to one.

Arcadius you said you bought some gloves from Leathermystics, do those match lvl 3 qualifications or should I search elsewhere?
DAK82 wrote:rwa creations on facebook dos the hard parts and look more like the CRLs (in my eyes)
I think I might just go with walts for the kit, seems most people know of them, the armor party I just went to recommended them, and people on the forums seem to regard them quite highly, appreciate the suggestion though. What exactly makes them look more like the CRLs?
Arcadius256 wrote:The outer robe is based off of the Attack Of The Clones Royal Guard robes, in that it has two panels, front and back. But they are slightly modified so be aware of that. Velvet or similar material. The forum (viewforum.php?f=12) for the Attack Of The Clones Royal Guards will have good pictures to base the robe pattern off of ans well as all the other info. Something like this I think https://imgur.com/JJBxcjp
That imgur link doesn't really help I'm afraid, It gives a basic idea of what I'm guessing the robes will look like but I cant make anything else out of it. as for the forum link I'm not exactly sure it sends me where you wanted it to send me.

DAK82
TKID: 26656

Post by DAK82 »

if you look at pics of his shins there come out at the top where CRLs and in the game there flat you can see it in this pics