Vambraces / Gauntlets

Kir Kanos, Carnor Jax, Sqall Training Uniforms, and other armored guards as seen in the Crimson Empire comics

Commander George

Vambraces / Gauntlets

Post by Commander George »

Dear all,

I'm new to the forum and just beginning work on my Carnor Jax costume, and some advice from more seasoned costumers would be very valuable.

What's the general consensus on Crimson Empire vambraces/gauntlets? As far as I know, Carnor Jax's are both identical (raised vertical ridges) while Kir Kanos wears one "standard" and one "high-tech", with buttons and circuitry. Am I correct?

Also, must they always be vacuuformed pieces of armour, or is any other material acceptable?

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"

Peregrinus

Re: Vambraces / Gauntlets

Post by Peregrinus »

You are correct about the difference between Jax's and Kanos' vambraces. As for materials, you should feel free to use whatever you want to get the right appearance. Vacu-forming is one of the easier options for some people, and those pieces are out there if you don't feel confident in trying that approach yourself.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Commander George

Peregrinus wrote:You are correct about the difference between Jax's and Kanos' vambraces. As for materials, you should feel free to use whatever you want to get the right appearance. Vacu-forming is one of the easier options for some people, and those pieces are out there if you don't feel confident in trying that approach yourself.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

--Jonah
Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

As I said, I'm barely starting out here, but I was thinking of trying out a "stiffened patent leather" approach to the vambraces. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

Commander George

Ok, just off the top of my head, I'm thinking of using the following materials for the vambraces:

Soccer shin guards (size and shape TBD):

Toothbrush cases for the ridges:

For the handplates, I'm considering car or bike pedal rubbers:

They shouldn't be too difficult to put together and paint. Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

I'd play around with Sintra or Styrene, just to get yourself acquainted with the material if you are a novice at working wth such materials.

I know there was a guy on the Spec Ops Det that experimented with making vambraces for the Storm Commando and did a pretty good job.

He had some pics up. I've never done it myself, but the theory seemed simple enough; heat the plastic and wrap it around your (protected) forearm to get its shape, trim edges down accordingly and seal the ends somehow to make it one solid piece and you have a vambrace. If your aim is to make it a single,seamless bracer the best way to achieve that would be to cover the seam with sme bondo and sand everything down smooth. The painting process should cover up the rest and give the illusion that the vambrace is a single unit.

Like I said, I have never practiced the theory, but I have seen the end result of someone taking those steps and the results were nothing short of spectacular.

- Bill

Commander George

Thanks for the tip, Bill!

Even if you don't have any practical experience, it's always good to know about the best practices from elsewehere.

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

Commander George

All right, here's a first approach at my vambraces using the materials I mentioned: soccer shin guards, toothbrush cases and rubber car mats.

As always, any comments are appreciated!

Cheers!
Attachments
P1010387.JPG
P1010387.JPG (41.81 KiB) Viewed 11757 times
P1010386.JPG
P1010386.JPG (41.42 KiB) Viewed 11757 times
P1010385.JPG
P1010385.JPG (42.42 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

That turned out pretty well.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

Nice job, George! Way to get creative! :jax:

Commander George

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I'm either being creative or just plain darned cheap, as the shin guards cost only 5 bucks a pair and the cases were just lying around in the bathroom cupboard. :trsuit:

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison