DH-17 Blaster

Kir Kanos, Carnor Jax, Sqall Training Uniforms, and other armored guards as seen in the Crimson Empire comics

Commander George

DH-17 Blaster

Post by Commander George »

IMHO, the blaster is one item that really sets this costume apart from other Royal Guards. As far as I know, the only sources for the DH-17 are:

Master Replicas

Hasbro

Custom made

Since both the MR and Hasbro versions are a bit hard to come by here in Mexico, and just for the fun of it (and budget constraints), I made a FIRST ATTEMPT at a custom DH-17. This is just a preliminary "rough cut" I scratch-built from parts I had lying around in the house, so I thought I'd share it with you. The holster was made from a drill holster I found at Home Depot.

I'd like to see how others out there have gone about this blaster!
Attachments
DH-17-C-Holster 2.JPG
DH-17-C-Holster 2.JPG (66 KiB) Viewed 17207 times
DH-17-C-Holster 1.JPG
DH-17-C-Holster 1.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 17207 times
Last edited by Commander George on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: DH-17 Blaster

Post by Darth Skellington »

That's a unique and cool blaster you have scratch-built. I haven't seen very many home-made DH-17s. For mine, I was lucky enough to snag a Hasbro blster for $4, which I sanded and repainted. Mine looks very similar to the Hasbro photo you posted.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Commander George

Darth Skellington wrote:That's a unique and cool blaster you have scratch-built. I haven't seen very many home-made DH-17s.
Thanks, mate! You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find some SW items down here, at least in the primary market. And if you find them, they're usually quite pricey! :shoot:

I guess I was lucky to find things that could actually work together. Here's a brief parts breakdown:

- The main body, nose cone and trigger guard came from a large plastic funnel.
- The grip is a shoe polish container.
- The scope is a small flashlight.
- The trigger is from a cloth softener dispenser.
-The rear end cap came from a mouthwash.

Here's how it looked before painting:
Attachments
DH-17-C-7.jpg
DH-17-C-7.jpg (60.44 KiB) Viewed 17176 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

daedelus

Post by daedelus »

Hey gang,

Hasbro has released a new revision of the DH-17, just calling it the "Rebel Alliance Blaster," but it's a DH-17. It shoots NERF darts like the old green one did, it's just blue and silver. I'm wondering if we can get an approval to use this as (repainted of course) an official 501st approved blaster?

Mark

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... -and-games

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

There are a few mods that need to happen to the hasbro gun, but a repaint on the gun and smoothing the logo off the side and adding a D ring will work.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Commander George

Hey, thanks for the tip!

By the way, you can find a good tutorial on how to modify this blaster at www.tk560.com.

Cheers!
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

Commander George

Well, as it turns out I managed to get hold of a really cool DH-17, scratchbuilt by a fellow Mexican trooper:
Attachments
P1060860.jpg
P1060860.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 16966 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

RoyalProtection

Post by RoyalProtection »

A question about the DH-17 Holster, does it need to be black for Jax and red for Kanos? Got my hands on a blaster and want to do a Kanos build now and never really saw color for the holsters.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Yes Red for Kanos Black for Jax
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard