Breastplate

Kir Kanos, Carnor Jax, Sqall Training Uniforms, and other armored guards as seen in the Crimson Empire comics

Commander George

Re: Breastplate

Post by Commander George »

Brightwater wrote:AMAZING job you've done there Geroge but just one question...er...where did you get those boots from or how did you make them?
I'm 6' tall with UK size 11 feet and I'm finding it a bugger to find any footware to suit, can you please help??
No prob. As I mentioned in the "Soft Goods" thread, they're not really boots, but rather spats or gaiters. I had them made by a seamstress out of faux leather, based on various reference pics. I wear them with ankle-high boots like the ones TKs use, only black.

Shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to share the reference pics!
Attachments
P1010961.JPG
P1010961.JPG (123.84 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
P1010964.JPG
P1010964.JPG (129.31 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I want that armor!
Jonathan 'Squirrel' Cardin
TX-4361 FL Garrison, Tampa Bay Sq.
Building a ROTS Guard. . .

VedicDragon

Post by VedicDragon »

George and Marshall,

LOVE what you guys have done with your respective takes on the breastplate.

Would love some greater detail on the what/how you assembled them.

Marshall ... are their specific Rubber mats you used (brandname, or store... like from Walmart or something)? Where they red in any way or was that -all- paint and what paints did you use?

George ... how much did the kit set you back and where can I get one?

I am currently pursuing a cannon royal guard submission but I have been gathering various gear for an Armored guardsman for a while now.

Would dearly LOVE to pick your brains for details so I can assemble something similar.

Savan

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I'll drop Marshall a line to have him give you some feed back.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Galactic Chaos

Post by Galactic Chaos »

That is just too cool.

Nicely done.

Marshall
TR 1152

Galactic Chaos

Post by Galactic Chaos »

I bought my rubber mats at Walmart . I bought 2 of them and they are the "Welcome" type mat about 1/4 " thick or so. Very thin material and very porous. I first cut out 7 pieces I believe (I will have to track down my templates, don't know if I saved them or not) and sprayed some wood sealant on each of them which worked okay but the real sealant was the paint. After I got all of the pieces cut, I painted each one with "Krylon" Fusion for Plastic paint. My RG Helmet is an original colored Don Post type mask unmodified in color so it's not the true CE color. I used Burgundy 2325 (Rogo Borgofia) spray paint. I bought 4 cans of it at Walmart and sprayed about 7 coats of paint on each plate. The paint drys in about 15 minutes but I took my time and was finished with spraying in 2 days. After each coat I bent the mating and finally all of the cracks and creases virtually disappeared (or at the least, are not noticeable to the average Joe). I then placed Velcro at the top of each piece except for the pieces that attach to the breast plates themselves and that gave it the really nice ridge effect. I attached the entire breast plate assembly to law enforcement bike patrol harness (complete with shoulder straps and I also attached a wide nylon band around the bottom). After the entire assembly was together a sprayed another coat of paint over the entire piece and then sprayed two coats of spray laquer to give it a nice gleam. I used paint and magic marker to detail the edges.

Every year I try to touch up the paint a bit but for the most part, it's still in it's original condition almost 7 years later. I love that costume, it's my favorite. I've included another attachment to look at the piece.

Let me know how else I can help?

Marshall
TR 1152
Attachments
Completed Chest Piece (2003)
Completed Chest Piece (2003)
Chest Piece.jpg (224.86 KiB) Viewed 10625 times