Joining the Guard- ROTS Royal Guard WIP Thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Re: Joining the Guard- ROTS Royal Guard WIP Thread

Post by Shikkakku »

Wew, I'm still building this!

Bucket: Good news and bad news on this front- I got my bucket from KronicProps (TK-Sonic here) in Cali. It is a slush casted thick Urethane Plastic Helmet that's backed with screen mesh. Its light and ready to be primed and painted. Really good build quality and shipping was no problem. Just have to cut the visor out.

Bad news: it doesn't fit me. :'(

Specifically the cheek indents go right into my cheekbones. It fits around the temple (which were the measurements I provided and based my purchase upon) but really I didn't realize that my cheekbones would get in the way :( If it wasn't for that issue things would be perfect.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to either make more space in the interior of the helmet, or any other solution.

Note that this is not a negative review for TK-Sonic's buckets. Its an excellent bucket and aside from some air bubbles is an excellent cast. This one just happened to not fit me. I recommend his work to anyone needing a bucket.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

Following... I have the same issue with mine. Each time i push down on the helmet, I wonder if I'll be able to remove it !

StarWarsTrekkie

Post by StarWarsTrekkie »

I really like what you've done with your forcepike! Is the blue (painters tape?) supposed to be the discharge capacitor? Those are the ring thingies near the top in the diagram. I used garden hose o-rings for mine. Waiting for the paint to dry on those now, actually

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

StarWarsTrekkie wrote:I really like what you've done with your forcepike! Is the blue (painters tape?) supposed to be the discharge capacitor? Those are the ring thingies near the top in the diagram. I used garden hose o-rings for mine. Waiting for the paint to dry on those now, actually
Hi, thank you! The blue parts are essentially flex-hose from Lowes, I think. Unpainted yet since I want to have a bucket so I can judge pike length and cut down if necessary. The tip is from a grease gun tip.
ugcspawn wrote:Following... I have the same issue with mine. Each time i push down on the helmet, I wonder if I'll be able to remove it !
Writing up a more detailed WIP update after this post, but essentially it can be sanded... to a point. I used 60 grit sandpaper and went to town, being careful to take a look at which colour of resin I was exposing. You'll see quickly when you're at the final layer since it kind of lets light through (though it has no effect on the surface look). The sanding really didn't work for me so I have to get a new bucket. :(

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Time for a big update! Lots has happened and I've encountered my first major roadblock in this stage of costume assembly.

Boots and Gloves: Received from Imperial Boots! Real good quality but as expected the boots don't zip all the way up due to my thick legs. Its alright, my feet fit with some wiggle room and I can safety pin the boots closed if needed.

Robes: Inner robe has been completed and I went in for my first fitting. Its a bit tight around the chest and back so my seamstress will make some adjustments and start working on the outer cloak lining and on the obi. I don't mind the inner robes being a bit tight as it'll be under the outer anyways. Once the outer cloak lining is done I'll consult here for a go/no-go before buying velvet/velveteen. Note to self: Don't gain any more weight.

Bucket: Hoo boy, this one is a doozy. As per my previous post I received a bucket from TK-Sonic here on the forums. While it fits around my temples no problem, the one thing I didn't anticipate was the cheek indents going right into my cheekbones. Suggested fix was to sand down the inside as much as possible to create space.

Step one was to cut out the visor, which I did with dremel drill bits, sanding bits and sandpaper. I did mess up and ding the outside of the visor a few times, which I'll have to putty and sand smooth. Overall I'm happy with how it went and it helped me get used to the fact that I'm essentially modifying a really expensive piece of kit.

With that done I went at it with 60-grit sandpaper. Vendor advice and observation showed me that the multiple layers had different colours so I was able to judge how much material I removed pretty easily.

Unfortunately it got to the point where I was exposing the surface layer (you can see lighter spots inside the bucket, thankfully it doesn't show externally) and I still couldn't fit my head in the bucket without force. At this point I decided to call it and look for alternatives.

Thankfully, a local garrison member wanted to start on her TR so I made a deal with her. I also ordered a rubies bucket from Amazon to try it, since I've been told that those buckets are big. Free returns also means that if that doesn't work, I can return and keep looking.

Overall things are moving forward, and nothing is completely borked. Just delayed... I do hope the rubies bucket fits so I can just worry about robes and getting material for those.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

cool update, thanks! To help out with your self esteem, the IB inner is tight on me too lol! Strange dimensions/pattern, almost like a tube. I'll see for my helmet, as I can technically put it on even if it scratch and rub a lot while I put it on, but I'm a bit afraid that I could sweal or something like that over a day and have issue removing it. It also make installing some sort of a/c in it impossible. Please review the Rubie when you get it, on my side I'll try the sanding idea.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

ugcspawn wrote:cool update, thanks! To help out with your self esteem, the IB inner is tight on me too lol! Strange dimensions/pattern, almost like a tube. I'll see for my helmet, as I can technically put it on even if it scratch and rub a lot while I put it on, but I'm a bit afraid that I could sweal or something like that over a day and have issue removing it. It also make installing some sort of a/c in it impossible. Please review the Rubie when you get it, on my side I'll try the sanding idea.
No problemo, and I'll update the thread once I get the rubies in.

It also sounds like sanding will work better for ye. Start with coarse grades and go to finer ones to smooth out once you're happy with the material removed. Also don't forget to wear a respirator and have some sort of dust collection method set up. That much material removal on urethane resin makes a bit of a mess.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Here's a quick question for command/anyone: for outer robe velvet, is upholstery velvet acceptable? That's the only kind of velvet I can find that comes close to 60" width.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Do you have a link to the upholstery velvet so that we could look over this.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Do you have a link to the upholstery velvet so that we could look over this.
This one, sir
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/sear ... 56-/3763/0

I ordered swatches, but who knows when they'll come in.

TR-63613- Shikkakku