Joining the Guard- ROTS Royal Guard WIP Thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Joining the Guard- ROTS Royal Guard WIP Thread

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

What boot size are you looking for. Black boots are the optional one. Screen Accurate would be Red suede.

The detachment has let the black boots be the optional for the red.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

The red suede will be the right ones for RotS and RotJ Guards.
Black will be optional for RotS though.
Red Suede will be the only option for RotJ Guards.
This was corrected in the CRL by myself in the first month of 2017.
Dont know who changed the CRL back.
But this will be corrected in the near future.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:What boot size are you looking for. Black boots are the optional one. Screen Accurate would be Red suede.

The detachment has let the black boots be the optional for the red.
After talking to some garrison-mates, it has been pointed out to me that the boots do not have a pointed enough toe to meet CRL quals, so the search is back on!

Ideally I take a size 11 US boot, but I usually have to go slightly bigger to accommodate my thunder-calves.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Update time! Things have been progressing and stuff has been ordered. Consequently my bank account has started getting sadder and sadder. But that's fine!

Boots and Gloves: I decided to bite the bullet and order both from Imperial Boots. I couldn't find anything that would meet CRL standards for gloves and all the red suede boots I found online would never fit my feet. Cost me a pretty penny, but my garrison-mates and everyone online has said that you really get what you pay for. Even so, I'm a bit worried that the top of the boot won't fit around my calf. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Robes: I got in touch with the seamstress a garrison-mate recommended to me. I'm sending her ref photos and the CRL guidelines and seeing where we go for there.

Bucket: I'm in the process of figuring this one out.

Force Pike: This weekend, I took the guides written by Skellington and Cooldevo and hit the local Home Depot/Canadian Tire/Lowes/Rona. I managed to bodge together a decent-looking pike from a shorty pool cue (48"), some creative use of inline check valves, bilge hoses and a grease gun tip. Completed length is about 54 5/8". I'd appreciate any comments as to whether what I have will pass muster before I commit to painting the darned thing.

My ideal completion deadline would be the Solo premiere at the end of May. Here's hoping I can pull that off!

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Had a planning meeting with my seamstress yesterday. We went over some potential patterns for the outer cloak and inner robe. The inner was simple enough, but the outer cloak will need some figuring out.

Recommendation is to get the inner robe and outer robe lining (same material, will aim for burgundy gabardine) first since the inner cloak will be easy enough to make and we can use the outer cloak lining to "mock up" the outer cloak and get feedback before starting work on the velvet/velveteen.

A question that popped up is whether the back part of the outer robe is made with one or two pieces of fabric. I posted a separate topic on the forum asking whether the back can have a centre seam running down it, so I'll wait for an answer there before committing on buying fabrics.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

The build continues!

Boots and Gloves: Eagerly awaiting the glorious "Order Shipped" from Imperial Boots

Bucket: I ordered one from tk-sonic, we're in the process of getting that sorted.

Robes: I managed to find a great deal on burgundy broadcloth and decided to go for it since gabardine was not available locally. It was cheap enough that I figured we could get started on the inner robe and outer robe lining (which will also serve as a mockup for the outer robes) Though I did go to the fabric district in Toronto to see what I can scrounge up. Most of what I found that were in 60" were stretch velvets though. Can anyone confirm whether stretch velvet is go/no go before I start posting a wackload of pictures?

TR-63613- Shikkakku

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Shikkakku wrote:The build continues!

Boots and Gloves: Eagerly awaiting the glorious "Order Shipped" from Imperial Boots

Bucket: I ordered one from tk-sonic, we're in the process of getting that sorted.

Robes: I managed to find a great deal on burgundy broadcloth and decided to go for it since gabardine was not available locally. It was cheap enough that I figured we could get started on the inner robe and outer robe lining (which will also serve as a mockup for the outer robes) Though I did go to the fabric district in Toronto to see what I can scrounge up. Most of what I found that were in 60" were stretch velvets though. Can anyone confirm whether stretch velvet is go/no go before I start posting a wackload of pictures?
Stretch velvet is not an approvable material

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

stripes wrote:

Noted, thank you for the reply. The search continues- I might have to go online for fabric.
Though I did find an upholstery velvet at 58" width. Might post a picture later though the quality isn't super great.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Shikkakku wrote:
stripes wrote:

Noted, thank you for the reply. The search continues- I might have to go online for fabric.
Though I did find an upholstery velvet at 58" width. Might post a picture later though the quality isn't super great.
As you are in Canada, I would suggest checking Fabricland for their red Velveteen... added bonus is you can then wash your robes at home and not worry about drycleaning... especially with our crazy weather

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

stripes wrote: As you are in Canada, I would suggest checking Fabricland for their red Velveteen... added bonus is you can then wash your robes at home and not worry about drycleaning... especially with our crazy weather
I actually did find some red velveteen at Fabricland on sale at $14.4/meter, but I thought that it being only 45" wide will cause issues in making the front and back panels. I'll post a picture later.

TR-63613- Shikkakku