New ROTS Guard from Mass WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Darth Leider

New ROTS Guard from Mass WIP

Post by Darth Leider »

Hello everyone! I've finally gotten around to gathering all of what I have, getting the pictures of the set up so far onto a photo bucket and posting this! I bought the outfit from CosplaySky and the helmet is from Rubies. This is what I have so far,

The helmet needs work in the back as there is a piece missing, and I will be getting boots when the rest of the outfit is nearing/is completed. I haven't worked on it in a good while and this will be a project for a period of time. Any advice is appreciated and I look forward to working with the community, thank you!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: New ROTS Guard from Mass WIP

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Darth Leider wrote:Hello everyone! I've finally gotten around to gathering all of what I have, getting the pictures of the set up so far onto a photo bucket and posting this! I bought the outfit from CosplaySky and the helmet is from Rubies. This is what I have so far,

The Obi should be the same fabric as the underrobe and lining of the robes.

The helmet needs work in the back as there is a piece missing, and I will be getting boots when the rest of the outfit is nearing/is completed. I haven't worked on it in a good while and this will be a project for a period of time. Any advice is appreciated and I look forward to working with the community, thank you!
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Evan1701
TKID: 81989

Post by Evan1701 »

I have this very same costume from CosplaySky. I was able to get it approved but your GML may be more of a stickler than mine. The biggest issues with it are:

1. Obi is different color than the inner robe

2. Lining of outer robe doesn't match (color or material) inner robe

3. Outer robe could be a darker shade of red and slightly more matte (it is kind of shiny in some lighting)

Once I get some troops under my belt, I'm considering pulling out the inner lining and replacing it with the same faux-suede purplish/burgundy material that the inner robe is made out of, and recreating the obi with that same material. My only worry with doing this is the suede-suede contact and static cling, it is already SUPER clingy. In fact I am considering sewing weights into the hem of the outer robe to keep it down.

In a few years when I have a couple of costumes under my belt, I may end up retiring the outer robe, obi, and gloves and have a ROTJ or AOTC robe sewn up from scratch to replace it. The cloth gloves in lieu of leather (to conform to ROTJ/AOTC CRLs) may also be better for warmer troops.

I also have this helmet and like it immensely. I have a massive head so it fits well (with some foam chunks I velcroed in there). The only downside is they screw in the visor (into fiberglass? Really? Whose idea was that?!?!?). I would suggest pulling those screws out ASAP before it gets warmer out. Most likely they have already caused some small cracks in the fiberglass, but removing them and repairing any visual damage should keep the cracks from spreading. I had a small crack right at the bridge above the visor and a surface crack on the inner surface that I repaired with superglue. If it spreads I have a plan to bondo, sand, and paint to repair it.
Evan Schrantz
Garrison Tyranus- Serenno Squad
TR-81989- ROTJ Royal Guard
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot
ID-81989- Director Krennic/R1 ISB Officer

rwbowri

Post by rwbowri »

I was looking at this CosplaySky costume too, it looks good as a starter costume
do you think the imperial boots guard gloves would be good as a replacement instead of the Cosplaysky gloves?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Due to the craftmanship and standards of this costume COSPLAYSKY Royal Guard Costume is not approvable for 501ST Standards.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

rwbowri

Post by rwbowri »

Thank you very much for information on their costume.

rwbowri

Post by rwbowri »

did you buy the Rubies from a vendor and it was damaged
or was it used?

Darth Leider

Post by Darth Leider »

rwbowri wrote:did you buy the Rubies from a vendor and it was damaged
or was it used?

I had purchased it from a vendor through Amazon and it arrived damaged. It was packaged fairly well, but it as itself was damaged (without the piece missing) upon arrival. My brother and I will attempt to fix it.
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Due to the craftmanship and standards of this costume COSPLAYSKY Royal Guard Costume is not approvable for 501ST Standards.
Thank you very much for this information before I got too far into it. I had only just started having time and thought to look at this, and I'm glad it worked out like that. I won't lie, I'm at a bit of a loss/stand still now. Is there any way that it is salvageable? As in reuse certian fabrics, swap out materials etc., or should I just start anew and from scratch? Thank you again for the info.

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

I can give some advice as I went through a lot to get my Robes right.

First of all if I were you I'd make new robes as they need to be right and not too difficult a long as you get a seamstress who is professional. My inner robe is just a Kaftan style thing made out of cheap burgundy broadcloth. Or use gaberdine. The. The Obi sash is exactly same fabric.

Outer robes is a different thing. The velvet or velveteen is not cheap but it's great looking velvet. I used double velvet red from online store Spotlight. About $35 a metre. It is hardest thing to make. But with the effort.

The helmet may need heavy modification. I would be tempted to get a new kit but you might be ok but I would take it to armour build day at your local squad and go from there. It's likely to need a new visor after the repair to the back. Happy building.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania