wearing pants under inner robe with side slits

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

sebcote

wearing pants under inner robe with side slits

Post by sebcote »

Are the pants to be worn normally or tucked into the boots like a german officer uniform?
I know they need to be the same color and fabric as the inner robe, I just want to know if I'm making pants or pantaloons style trousers.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: wearing pants under inner robe with side slits

Post by cooldevo »

I have yet to see anyone using pants in current WiPs. Wearing 3 layers of velvet/velveteen/gabardine is already hot enough. I can't imagine how hot it would be with another layer added on.

If there is someone that uses them, it'd be interesting to hear how hot another layer of already hot material would be.

sebcote

Post by sebcote »

I'm opting of the ease of movement, wanted to be different, still as per guidelines.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

As has been pointed out, most people opt to not use pants, however if you do they should likely not be tucked in as the idea is to give the impression of robes.

For me personally, I don't find the inner robe restricts movement enough to warrant the extra heat that another layer of fabric would generate... and that is with wearing heat compression under armour to strip off as much heat as possible while in costume. I've even toyed with the notion of an ice vest similar to what pro mascots use inside their suits to help reduce the heat.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

stripes wrote:I've even toyed with the notion of an ice vest similar to what pro mascots use inside their suits to help reduce the heat.
I looked into that and chatted with a couple of people that use one for other costumes. The one caution I've heard to the ice vests is once the ice melts the water will warm up from the body heat. Once it starts to do that, you will feel even hotter than not having it on as you'll have warm water wrapped around your torso. The people I talked to recommended keeping it on while it's icey/cold, and either change it to a new set (if interchangeable packs and you can keep the spare cold) or take it off once it stops being cool.

While it's cold they are apparently very nice. I was advised not to skimp and buy super cheap as they won't last nearly as long as the good quality vests. Some have the ability to change the packs which allows you to change to new frozen ones to extend the use of the vest. But you of course need somewhere cold to keep them (cooler?) so they don't melt before you get to put them on.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

cooldevo wrote:
stripes wrote:I've even toyed with the notion of an ice vest similar to what pro mascots use inside their suits to help reduce the heat.
I looked into that and chatted with a couple of people that use one for other costumes. The one caution I've heard to the ice vests is once the ice melts the water will warm up from the body heat. Once it starts to do that, you will feel even hotter than not having it on as you'll have warm water wrapped around your torso. The people I talked to recommended keeping it on while it's icey/cold, and either change it to a new set (if interchangeable packs and you can keep the spare cold) or take it off once it stops being cool.

While it's cold they are apparently very nice. I was advised not to skimp and buy super cheap as they won't last nearly as long as the good quality vests. Some have the ability to change the packs which allows you to change to new frozen ones to extend the use of the vest. But you of course need somewhere cold to keep them (cooler?) so they don't melt before you get to put them on.
Yes, I have spoken with a few people about it as well... depending on the kit you get and how hot the day is, the kits last anywhere from 1-2 hours... and you definitely get what you pay for. Though it's not always feasible to have somewhere to store extra ice packs, it has been something I've tossed around... just not something I've fully committed to as it's not cheap to get a decent setup

sebcote

Post by sebcote »

After wearing only the inner robe for 30 min I concur that the pants option is ridiculous, way too hot. On an not completely unrelated subject has any thought about wearing a camelbak under the robe and glueing a clip inside the helmet that way you stay hydrated but you can tuck away for helmets off photos?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

sebcote wrote:After wearing only the inner robe for 30 min I concur that the pants option is ridiculous, way too hot. On an not completely unrelated subject has any thought about wearing a camelbak under the robe and glueing a clip inside the helmet that way you stay hydrated but you can tuck away for helmets off photos?
If done right it's a great option and as you noted, easily hidden

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

I am in Australia and it is not too hot but I still swelter under the robes so I only wear the bare minimum of jocks under the inner robe and that is hot enough! Wearing pants is not really necessary so I would not bother personally.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania