WIP: Royal Guard from Australia in progress

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

WIP: Royal Guard from Australia in progress

Post by Crimson8 »

Ok, so I'm reposting this because I've switched from building an ROTJ ROYAL GUARD to an AOTC ROYAL GUARD. Why did I make this choice? Many things have happened since first embarking on this wild ride. When considering joining the elite ranks of the 501st I quickly resolved that I would not be financially able to build one of those amazing Stormtrooper outfits but there's plenty of other great costumes out there so I looked at them all on the official site and made notes of which ones I could do that wouldn't cost me a small 2 bedroom apartment.

At first I was considering Boba Fett but it took me in the ballpark of about 6 minutes to realise that was totally out of my league. Then i settled on Greedo. Heck! I could even shoot Han first if I could pull it off. But alas research in trying to locate a suitable Greedo head was fruitless. And the long suctioned fingers really put me off. I wouldn't be able to do much with those things dangling off my wrists. I scratched Greedo.

I must admit I was getting a bit worried that anything would suit my price range. Until I saw the Royal Guard in all it's crimson splendour. It shone like a veritable red beacon and its glow penetrated my being. I knew immediately it was what I wanted. Glorious robes hanging down and a streamlined helmet looking like some crimson phantom. It's royal demeanour a symbol of power and majesty. Yes I think I fell in love at that moment. I wrote down everything on the site and screen capped all the CRLs. It was achievable. Yes I could do this despite my daughters wedding next year and paying off a house. Even my wife lliked it.

At first I was busy indulging in a Costume build for a ROTJ ROYAL GUARD. I had my heart set on a Return of Jedi costume as I preferred OT over the prequels. There are details that changed from movie to movie and I knew I may need to bite the bullet and go for an AOTC build. But the thing that will make the difference was whether or not I could get hold of boots and gloves for OT guard. So I was set on the task. The sovereign Protectors forum advised me as did this one, to buy the helmet first and then the robes could be matched in colour. Makes sense. It looks better if it all matches rather than a candy apple red robe with a dark crimson helmet slapped on. That would stick out like a dogs hind leg.

A day or so later a friend who is a Stormtrooper in the 501st messaged me to let me know someone was selling a Royal Guard helmet. Of course I jumped on the forums and posted my interest in it. As soon as I did this the entire forum shut down. I thought I'd broken the internet! Ironic but that's how it goes. I was frustrated trying to buy the helmet I needed and couldn't even get on the forums to confirm. Eventually the server was back up and I was able to confirm the purchase. It turns out there's virtually the whole costume up for grabs so it's being sent and I'll be able to see how it goes for approval. I can make a force pike later.

I attended my first 501st meeting the next day and was totally invested in the idea that I could get a costume together before the Rogue One premiere in December. Everyone agreed the Royal Guard would make a great addition to the Garrison and I virtually confirmed purchase that very day. It just worked out perfectly. As though it were meant to be.

So there you go. It's a start in the right direction. I will wAit till I receive this and go from there. I can't wait to finally join the 501st. I wouldn't have thought it possible a few years ago but it's finally happening, and at light speed too. I thought this would take me months but it's taken about a week to get all this organised. It just shows that if you are driven to make it happen, it will happen
I hope this encourages others thinking about joining to go for it no matter what obstacles are in their way.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Edit:

After a lot of research and conversing with the local 501st Garrison, I have set the wheels in motion for a Royal Guard from Attack of the Clones. So here's the latest on this project. I have been able to order the black boots from Soviet Boots website. They're on special so it was a worthwhile thing to grab them while they were low in price. They have a Russian shoe size so had to measure feet and work out the measurements. Anyway they're perfect and now on their way to Australia. I'll post photos when they arrive. Helmet is on it's way too bought from a 501st member with a great reputation around here so I'm further ahead than I suspected and may even be ready to be involved in the movie premiere "Rogue One". Just waiting for the packages to arrive.
Last edited by Crimson8 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Crimson8

Re: WIP: Royal Guard from Australia in progress

Post by Crimson8 »

References to Russian Jack Boots http://www.sovietboots.com/long-boots/9-...boots.html

Here's a picture from the site of the boots I ordered

A 501st member recommended these to me so just waiting. Is for them to arrive. Can't wait! :trsuit:

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Another question. For AOTC gloves can I use these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WTWZA ... ES0BRGXHWS

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Sorry but those gloves are not for AotC use.

FoxFX
TKID: 18747

Post by FoxFX »

Great to see another Royal Guard in Australia. What state are you in ?

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

PM sent to Fox

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Sascha_Wilsing wrote:Sorry but those gloves are not for AotC use.
Hey that's OK I will get hold of some soon. The SovietBoots boots are OK I believe.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Got a DH 17 Blaster but will endeavour to make a Force pike as they are easier to recognise.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Wow I saw this Guard helmet at a friend's place. Its really bulky and very tight to wear with hard fibreglass inner layer. He is not selling it, He just has it on display on his wall. I know it aint 501st friendly but can anyone tell me what the design is - which film might it originate from?

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Offhand I'm not sure, but I'm no helmet expert.

If you are looking for a helmet, there's a vendor from Australia that sells a helmet kit (gmrhodes13). I got his kit and it was a lot of fun to put together, and allowed me to size it for my head. I tried a few pre-made helmets (Don Post, etc) and none of them would fit over my forehead. The one I made from the kit, I can fit in, and wear glasses perfectly underneath. I used a painter as I'm not comfortable with things that have to be ridiculously smooth and gloss coated, but it came out really really nicely.