WIP: Royal Guard from Australia in progress

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Re: WIP: Royal Guard from Australia in progress

Post by Crimson8 »

Note to all Royal Guards in the making... Do not... repeat NOT buy velvet from supplier unless you sighted it. It is likely to be wrong colour or wrong type. I bought some velvet over the phone and the lady said it was bright crimson red, and no designs on it, not crushed velvet so would be fine. It arrived today and it was the PANNE velvet. Shiny and stretchy PANNE!!! I didn't want that as I knew Panne is definitely not permitted. She didn't tell me on the phone it was that type of velvet or I wouldn't have bothered. Anyway after my heart sank and I gathered my thoughts, I rang the shop and asked for a refund. They gladly obliged as long as I could provide receipt. That is good service!

I needed, double velvet red, but now I would have to order online. So I whipped out my credit card and bought the velvet online. Now I am playing the waiting game again... It is a learning curve and I learnt three vital things through this:
1. Do not trust staff on phone orders as they really have no idea what you really are after despite your detailed description.
2. If it is cheap, there is likely a reason for this.
3. If all else fails go directly to those in the know as cutting corners rarely achieves anything.

So after all that and a week of waiting for delivery, I was back to square one - no outer robe material. I contacted local 501st members who helped me contact a 501st member who makes robes. She was able to tell me the exact material

The good news is the correct velvet is now ordered, and my boots arrived from SovietBoots.com. Almost there...
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Boots arrived. So strong and cool looking. Soviet Boots indeed! Very heavy duty and happy with the feel of them though they will take some getting used to walking in as they are stiff and solid on sole.

Last edited by Crimson8 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Working on Project Force Pike. Building the weapon for the Imperial Royal Guard to go with the costume I'm working on.

Today was able to get the last bits and pieces. These are the parts I used.

After prepping the materials with a light sand with glass paper, I forced the foam handle grips on the cue stick. I began by using vacuum cleaner hoses but it was too flimsy so I used the foam handles from an exercise machine not being used. I had to force them on with soap.

I cut some pvc pipe into small parts for the top of the pike. A syringe was used for the top point.

I used a plumbing hose connector and a light fitting from a lamp and glued them together to make the pommel at the base.

I bought 7 O rings to make the top piece.
Then I hand painted the pommel made of plumbing and garden hose connector components.

Painted the pvc connectors and finally painted the O rings.

Then I Spray painted silver the cue stick.

Took about 3 hours to complete painting. Will assemble tomorrow when the paint dries.

Last edited by Crimson8 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Well its finished!!!

Looks amazing up close - very happy with metallic silver spray paint. Another coat of paint will get rid of any blemishes.

Had to wash down handles as they were dirty. Look great now. Had trouble getting the top part, the power tip, on but used putty packed with foam, and super glue for good measure. Also super glued the discharge capacitor thingy onto it.

The O rings are still tacky as they are rubber but hopefully will dry out. May need to spray them with some special non tacky spray.

heres the photos

Last edited by Crimson8 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Well today the seamstress made a makeshift pattern out of sheets. She wants to see if she's on the right track. Any advice appreciated. She's working on a better shoulder pad look but is it overall the right look? Once she is happy with it she will start on the red velvet this week. Thanks. Will send photos in a moment

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

By the way the 501st guys called me Casper the Friendly Guard Lol.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

I've been advised by someone who made the robe before That I need to have side panels coming off the shoulders , because the guards have a square look to the shoulders, otherwise you end up with droopy shoulders. So seamstress will need to make the robe with an extra panel for back so there are no seams showing.

The journey is almost complete. It's been a massive undertaking but kept me busy. Im off to Spotlight to get more material. Then we're all go!

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Looking good.
Thanks for showing your progress

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Well we're on the down home stretch now. Outer Robes are sewn together and it needs shoulder pads inserted and the hem line done as it's flowing to the ground.

How's it looking? Appreciate some advice on this. It's a mammoth task doing the outer robe. Image

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Ok those are taken before hemming and shoulder pads. It will sit better when those are complete.