MY ROTJ fail

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

DarthVoltron
TKID: 27330

MY ROTJ fail

Post by DarthVoltron »

So, a long time ago in galaxy far, far away, I ordered a complete Stormtrooper ensemble. And I waited...and I waited...and eventually I got the fateful email that said they were going bust, but that I had a credit towards whatever Denuo Novo was making. Which didn't consist of much at the time; I wanted a costume, not a helmet. So they had a sale going and I got the Anovos ROTJ helmet and and a Tie Fighter helmet.

It look a long time for the helmet to arrive, so I started ordering the rest of the pieces to complete the costume. I got gloves and boots from Crowprops, and a 'medium' set of robes from Korbanth, made by Kelly Jo Boyd.

Then things started to arrive. The Anovos helmet looked great, but it was utterly unwearable. They advertise a hat size of 8. I am 7 1/4" and there's just no way. My wife is the only one who's tried it that can fit into it and she's 4'11". Since this was a 'free' helmet (I'd written off the Storm Trooper years ago), I decided to buy a Rubies Supreme helmet off eBay, which fits and looks great.

At this point, I unpacked the robes and decided to put on the whole ensemble...only to discover that the robes were from ROTS. The pictures on the Korbanth site were of the ROTJ version, but the description said ROTS and I must have missed it. So now I have gloves that don't match.

In any case, I'm going to roll with it and get some new gloves, get the robes hemmed and see if I can finish this thing off.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a solid supplier of ROTJ robes. And also force pikes, I guess; one for each version.

I also have a Anovos helmet that I don't mind donating to a good cause if you're vertically challenged or a lady trooper (seriously; this thing won't fit even an relative elfin adult male).

Anyway, that's my story. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

aislefive
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 29292

Re: MY ROTJ fail

Post by aislefive »

For ROTS gloves, I went with these https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gauntlet ... 98&sr=8-15

For Force Pikes https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057095394471

I hopes this helps, when I started making my guard years ago, it took three years because of setbacks and bad vendors. I hope you will be able to complete your costume soon, it's fun to troop as a guard.
Mark Naber
TR-29292
Aislefive
Ohio Garrison
Gem City Squad
Garrison Membership Liaison

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

aislefive wrote: ↑Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 am For ROTS gloves, I went with these https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gauntlet ... 98&sr=8-15

I hopes this helps, when I started making my guard years ago, it took three years because of setbacks and bad vendors. I hope you will be able to complete your costume soon, it's fun to troop as a guard.
Thanks. I'm in contact with Endor Armory and it looks like they can hook me up. The gloves are out of stock on Amazon. Not sure if it's worth waiting around for them to come back in, or again from Crow Props. I don't need another set of boots, though and they seem to come as a set.

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

DarthVoltron wrote: ↑Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:33 am
aislefive wrote: ↑Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 am For ROTS gloves, I went with these https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gauntlet ... 98&sr=8-15

Thanks. I'm in contact with Endor Armory and it looks like they can hook me up. The gloves are out of stock on Amazon. Not sure if it's worth waiting around for them to come back in, or again from Crow Props. I don't need another set of boots, though and they seem to come as a set.
So I did a bit of digging and went to the manufacturer's web page and was able to order a (hopefully) perfectly sized pair directly from them - https://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/gauntlets.html

Question: Are the ROTJ Crowprops boots passable for the ROTS as well? Or should I just go with black boots?

Bengirl37
TKID: 50284

Post by Bengirl37 »

My gloves are from them and they got approved. Yes those boots from crowprops are approvable I know because I want to update my current boots to those. Crowprops also follows all of 501st CRLs so they will be allowed

My guard is Revenge of the Sith also. Those boots and gloves will pass. Leather mystics is where I got my gloves and I love them. You can get the boot glove combo on crowprops.
Jennifer Stanage
TR-IC-TI-50284
Northern Darkness Garrison

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

Bengirl37 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:28 pm My gloves are from them and they got approved. Yes those boots from crowprops are approvable I know because I want to update my current boots to those. Crowprops also follows all of 501st CRLs so they will be allowed

My guard is Revenge of the Sith also. Those boots and gloves will pass. Leather mystics is where I got my gloves and I love them. You can get the boot glove combo on crowprops.
Yeah, I have the ROTJ gloves and boots from Crowprops and they're great. I bought them before I realized that I had ordered the wrong robe. I've talked to the Endor Armory and just ordered two pikes; ROTJ & ROTS. Now I just need to find a solid source for ROTJ robes and I will two approvable costumes.

On that point, does anyone have any recommendations?

Misanne
TKID: 83015

Post by Misanne »

Keep Trooping (formerly Imperial Boots) is where I got my ROTJ robes. Highly recommend.

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

Misanne wrote: ↑Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:34 pm Keep Trooping (formerly Imperial Boots) is where I got my ROTJ robes. Highly recommend.
Co-incidentally, I there site just opened up for ordering, today. I placed my order for the robes and a few other odds and ends. Glad to hear that I may finally have made a wise decision. :trsuit:

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

Okay, I'm pretty close, I think.
Full-front.jpg
Full-front.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Here's everything so far:

Rubies Supreme Helmet
Helmet-01
Helmet-02

Gloves from Mystic Gauntlets
Gloves-01
Gloves-02

Boots #1 by Crowprops
Red Boots-01
Red Boots-02

Boots #2 (Vader reject boots)
Black Boots-01
Black Boots-02
Black Boots-03

Undersuit made my Jelly Jo Boyd and tailored to my body.
Front
Side
Back

The full monty
Front
Front-2
Front-exposed
Right Side
Left Side
Back

Bengirl37
TKID: 50284

Post by Bengirl37 »

Looks good I would submit photos to your local GML, pike is optional for approval, it's just a cool toy to play with at events and makes you more intimidating when you are walking with a Palpatine or Vader ðŸ‘

Edit: is the under robes made of suad? And the belt doesn't look right, unless it's from a different pattern or brand I am not aware of.
Jennifer Stanage
TR-IC-TI-50284
Northern Darkness Garrison