Helmet Recommendations

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Goonch
TKID: 75150

Helmet Recommendations

Post by Goonch »

Hello all. I want to start by saying thanks for everyone that reads through this and has been so helpful to my frequent forum questions. I've wanted to do a guard for years, and I finally have the IB boot robes that will be altered soon. :tr2:

The big question I do have, is what would be a good direction to go as far as a solid helmet? I purchased a Walt helmet kit years ago when it was on sale, but in all honesty, I lack the skills to put together things like that from start to finish. What I really need, is a solid pre-made helmet that I can order and be done with. Would anyone have any recommendations for a solid pre-made helmet that matches the IB robes decently well?

If anyone has a solid recommendation on the Walt process, also, I also do appreciate that feedback. I don't completely rule out putting my helmet kit together. I just know from past experiences it would probably be trouble for me haha.

Any directions on this would be extremely helpful! Once I have a solid turning point to get a decent, approvable, helmet, I should be very close to having my guard!

:tr2: THANK YOU :tr2:

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Helmet Recommendations

Post by stripes »

Goonch wrote: ↑Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:46 pm Hello all. I want to start by saying thanks for everyone that reads through this and has been so helpful to my frequent forum questions. I've wanted to do a guard for years, and I finally have the IB boot robes that will be altered soon. :tr2:

The big question I do have, is what would be a good direction to go as far as a solid helmet? I purchased a Walt helmet kit years ago when it was on sale, but in all honesty, I lack the skills to put together things like that from start to finish. What I really need, is a solid pre-made helmet that I can order and be done with. Would anyone have any recommendations for a solid pre-made helmet that matches the IB robes decently well?

If anyone has a solid recommendation on the Walt process, also, I also do appreciate that feedback. I don't completely rule out putting my helmet kit together. I just know from past experiences it would probably be trouble for me haha.

Any directions on this would be extremely helpful! Once I have a solid turning point to get a decent, approvable, helmet, I should be very close to having my guard!

:tr2: THANK YOU :tr2:
There are a number of makers out there, but they all will need some level of work. Depending on the size of your head, you could choose Lukkanon, or even the Rubies supreme edition. The biggest challenge is in making sure there is a colour match as close as possible between the helmet and your robes. You’ll also need to make sure the visor is up to approval levels if you go the rubies route.

Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Wonderful, thank you! What helmets are best in regards to smaller vs larger heads?

IcyTrooper
TKID: 14631

Post by IcyTrooper »

I have a Walt's Trooper Factory helmet which came in two pieces and allowed to shape it size wise to my head which isn't large. The Rubies Extreme one if I remember right is great for larger heads. :tr2:
TK/TX/TI/IC/IG/TA/TS/TD/TR/BH-14631
70th Explorers GML
Spec Ops Detachment DL

Navarro
TKID: 27010

Post by Navarro »

I have the Rubies helmet and it is pretty good! The general advice is to get a darker tint (insulfilm) for the visor to better conceal your face, but it is great! :tr2:
ID/TR 27010
Gabriel Navarro
United Arab Emirates Garrison
Garrison Webmaster (GWM)

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

I have a rubies supreme myself, and it fits my big head well. Even have enough space for 3 fans and a USB battery right on the cheek divot.

A couple of notes however:
  • The bucket is heavy. Like, my shoulders and upper back started hurting after a few hours in-costume since I was unconsciously shrugging to keep the weight of the bucket off my head.
  • The visor will need to be re-tinted to match CRL as required, also since it is screwed into the bucket (which may cause cracking in the long term) you might want to replace it with chicago screws/magnets.
  • As Leigh says above colour-match with your robes is critical.
Good luck!

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Thank you all very much for all the help! I really do appreciate it! :trsuit: