Helmet Questions from a Newbie

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Vireye

Helmet Questions from a Newbie

Post by Vireye »

Hello all,

I've been looking at options for a 501st-approvable costume for years now, and keep going back and forth on what I wanted to do.

Fate seemed to decide for me last weekend when my wife and I were clearing out my old storage unit...in a plastic bag was a helmet I got in 1996 when I was maybe 7 years old: a Don Post Imperial Royal Guard helmet.

The helmet itself is still in great shape - no deformities, dents, etc - it needs a new visor and the paint has some scuffs and transfer so it would likely just need a fresh coat entirely.

What I'm wondering, is if the old Don Post helmet is even approvable? I tried searching the forums here for "Don Post" but both works were excluded for being too common :geez:

My second question is about sizing. It's a little bit of a tight fit but it's not terrible and let's faceit...it's not a comfortable design to begin with. My nose is just a bit too big for it to not get slightly squashed but...it's really not terrible.

The helmet has enough sentimental value (MANY memories of wearing it when the thing went halfway down to my waist as a kid) so being able to use it 25 years later would actually be really cool.

Ralom
TKID: 31443

Re: Helmet Questions from a Newbie

Post by Ralom »

From what I understand that helmet is not approved, but I’m new myself and could be wrong.

I feel for you with nose thing. I have the same issue with the helmet I have.

IcyTrooper
TKID: 14631

Post by IcyTrooper »

Do you by chance have a pic of it?

I took a look in the Helmet Mods section of this forum and it looks like Don Post (DP) helmets are getting approved. Just make sure it goes with the CRL guidelines.

:tr:
TK/TX/TI/IC/IG/TA/TS/TD/TR/BH-14631
70th Explorers GML
Spec Ops Detachment DL

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Generally speaking, the Don Post is not approvable in its raw form. With work to get the paint matching robes, a proper visor, no cracks/dents/etc, it can be made approvable, but it does take time to do it.

If you post some pictures, we can help guide you in getting it to an approvable state.

Vireye

Post by Vireye »

I’ll get some pictures this afternoon. I had fresh paint and a new visor on the agenda regardless, as 20+ years stored were not kind to the flimsy film visor and the paint has some scuffs (but no gauges or dents).