Intro and build thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Feliscout
TKID: 2748

Intro and build thread

Post by Feliscout »

Hey y'all, my name is Sarah Silverman. I've been a member of Garrison Titan in Seattle, WA since 2009. I current have a dirty biker scout, scanning crew and AT-ST driver. I also used to have a black officer and TFM Aurra Sing and a Clone Wars Aurra I never got approved. I manage a Cider Bar and I'm obsessed with dinosaurs. I'm also a member of the Jurassic Park Motor Pool with a JPX Tribute Subaru.

Anyways, for my birthday a friend gave me his RotJ Royal Guard Helmet and I looked into buying another friend's AotC guard costume, but love the look of the original. The buying of 9 yards of red velvet was incredibly daunting though, so I obviously have done nothing with it. Then another friend gave me a set of TFU armor that he ordered but was way too tiny for him, so he gave it to me. My goal is to finish both!

Now with quarantine and my bar mostly closed, I've been working through my project list and I finally got the yardage, so I'm ready to begin!

I look forward to picking folks' brains here!
Sarah Silverman (but not THAT one)
TB/IC/IS, retired ID/BH 2748, Expert Tree Dodger, Girl Scout, Jedi Huntress, Iron Wolf, Darth Trouble and the Honey Badger before it was cool.
-----------------------------------
*Armored BIG Climb-2010, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2019

Maxall
TKID: 71576

Re: Intro and build thread

Post by Maxall »

Sarah,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got some cool projects in the works as well as a couple under your belt already.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask!
v/r,

Dave

Shadow Guard - (5 Protection Details)

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

You could go for the full TFU royal guard build. No one has done the outer robes yet so you would be the first. The outer is an ATOC setup with the two slits for the arms that stop just above the armpit and below the midpoint of the front of the shoulder. One further mod is the back of the outer which has a slit which runs up the middle and ends underneath your helmet. It's an option if you're willing to go after it.

:shadow:

Feliscout
TKID: 2748

Post by Feliscout »

I might do the full TFU at some point, I'm struggling enough as it is with RotJ. I'm using this pattern https://68.media.tumblr.com/52506333a9a ... 4_1280.png and not all the angles and measurements are there and don't really have access to a printer so using a lot of squinting and the little bit of pattern drafting knowledge I have, I drafted the pattern and have been cutting the fabric and it looks like length wise my scaling is correct (I'm 5'4"). BUT I worry the circular opening will be too wide and I'll have to use gathers at the neck, which will most likely not be visible because of the helmet. The CRL mentions pleating and shoulder pads, so I assume those will help with the fit. Looking at the CRL photo, it doesn't seem as drapey as the pattern would suggest. So, on. one hand, I'm worried my investment in time and velvet will be for naught but on the other hand, I feel confident enough in my skills that it'll still look damn good.
Sarah Silverman (but not THAT one)
TB/IC/IS, retired ID/BH 2748, Expert Tree Dodger, Girl Scout, Jedi Huntress, Iron Wolf, Darth Trouble and the Honey Badger before it was cool.
-----------------------------------
*Armored BIG Climb-2010, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2019

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Post by dwdj75 »

First thing I did was get a couple of old bed sheets, make the pattern and do a test run with that ! Velvet is too expensive to practice on lol