Irishknots WIP thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Re: Irishknots WIP thread

Post by Crimson8 »

irishknots wrote:
Crimson8 wrote:Gloves and boots look great. Thawb is not hanging loose at front probably because it's too tight with zipper all the way up front section, but what will fix it is zipper at back and only down to neck which is enough to get head inside. Looks good though overall. The forcepike will need to be spray painted silver at top as theres no gold on pikes though if looks cool like that. So well done thus far. Now the tricky part is the outer robe. Post progress shots of this to avoid mistakes. :trsuit:
I probably just need to change the gold to a more copper color per the CRL. Make it a bit darker

Force Pikes SHOULD have:
• Black plastic tapered pommel
• 'Rasp' emitter end of stacked ring design or serrated design in metallic copper, or silver, preferably constructed of turned plastic for screen-accuracy.
• Use of chrome tape on the pike shaft.

No it's ok. I got a second opinion and The pike is fine. The worm drill bit makes it closer to the screen accuracy.
The thawb is looking good too. Gloves hopefully will fit under the sleeves.
Just work on the outer robes. You are well on your way. Going so good so far.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

irishknots
TKID: 97140

Post by irishknots »

Finally got around to some updates, wanted to run them by you all. Pics first

Hemmed the outer robe, Think it may still need some attention, particularly on the right side.

Biggest concern is the helmet. Guess it is made for a beefier person than me. It is a Rubies Deluxe. Can I shape it with a heat gun to better fit? do I need to bulk out my torso? Or is it better to find a different helmet maker?

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

For the helmet, if it's the same as mine, which I believe it is, it's fiberglass, which will not change shape easily. I did what a few others have done here and built a neck pad that sits under the main robes that fills the space. You can also go the different helmet route, I do believe there are a couple out there that have smaller openings. I like the neck pad idea personally, cause it fills out the costumes and makes it look better/right, IMO... But, if you go that route, you will need to re-hem the robes, cause it will effect the overall length...

irishknots

Post by irishknots »

iceknyght wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:49 pm For the helmet, if it's the same as mine, which I believe it is, it's fiberglass, which will not change shape easily. I did what a few others have done here and built a neck pad that sits under the main robes that fills the space. You can also go the different helmet route, I do believe there are a couple out there that have smaller openings. I like the neck pad idea personally, cause it fills out the costumes and makes it look better/right, IMO... But, if you go that route, you will need to re-hem the robes, cause it will effect the overall length...
When you wear the padding it just goes between the main robes and the under robes? not under both?

iceknyght

Post by iceknyght »

Yeah, just under the main robes, but on top of the inner robes. I tried to put mine under the inner robes, but a) it didn't look right and b) didn't add anything to the overall costume and c) was cumbersome. If done right, you won't see it at all anyway. My "action" pic I took for my approval pics was me with open robes and even then, you couldn't see anything. If you do a search here on the forums, there are a few people that made the neck piece. Mine looks like a Frankenstein monster compared to the ones I saw on here, but it does the trick!

irishknots

Post by irishknots »

Well after quite some time, I have 3d printed and finished a new helmet. What are your thoughts? Am I ready to apply if I do some padding? Looking at some paint that is a hair darker, any recommendations?

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

The hem is a bit too long. Onlookers shouldn't be able to see the hem on your outer robes. Also brushing the robes may help with it not looking like crushed velvet. My outer is a nightmare if I don't brush it after storing it for a while.

irishknots

Post by irishknots »

Batsk wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 pm The hem is a bit too long. Onlookers shouldn't be able to see the hem on your outer robes. Also brushing the robes may help with it not looking like crushed velvet. My outer is a nightmare if I don't brush it after storing it for a while.
So you are talking about the location of the stitching, yes? if I cut more material off and had the stitching lower to the ground it would be better?

iceknyght

Post by iceknyght »

It's more that the stitching is visible. You shouldn't be able to see the actual stitching of the hem.

irishknots

Post by irishknots »

So ideally the hem needs to be a blind stitch?