Build Thread: Double Trouble from Down Under

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Re: Build Thread: Double Trouble from Down Under

Post by Shikkakku »

Excellent build, and you've also sparked a positive movement to update one of our foundational costumes. Great job and congrats on the approval once again!

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

RedWraith
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45970

Post by RedWraith »

IcyTrooper wrote: ↑Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:07 am Congrats on the approval!
Shikkakku wrote: ↑Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:53 pm Excellent build, and you've also sparked a positive movement to update one of our foundational costumes. Great job and congrats on the approval once again!
Thanks Ryan and Paolo, much appreciated. Yes, time to get that TR ROTJ CRL fixed.

FO3Winger

Post by FO3Winger »

Hey great job getting approved! My outfits been on hiatus for over a year and am finally hemming it up. Good to see this clarified about the liner as I had no clue. My only issue now is getting the robes “no higher than 1 inch” off the ground. Watching the couple scenes in ROTJ with the guards it seems some of them have their robes way higher than 1 inch. Again congratulations!

RedWraith

Post by RedWraith »

FO3Winger wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:54 am Hey great job getting approved! My outfits been on hiatus for over a year and am finally hemming it up. Good to see this clarified about the liner as I had no clue. My only issue now is getting the robes “no higher than 1 inch” off the ground. Watching the couple scenes in ROTJ with the guards it seems some of them have their robes way higher than 1 inch. Again congratulations!
Thanks man, much appreciated. Glad to hear you're working to finish yours off too. Yes, hopefully we can get the lining issue clarified in the CRL soon so that it doesn't cause others grief.

The robe length is definitely challenging. You have to take into account so many factors - height standing tall and straight in boots, whether or not you'll have neck padding, if you'll have gel insoles in your boots or any kind of wedge - and once you've got that sorted, the slightest slouch or lean to one side and it will be on the floor. 1 inch really doesn't give you much room to move!

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

RedWraith wrote: ↑Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:47 pm
FO3Winger wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:54 am Hey great job getting approved! My outfits been on hiatus for over a year and am finally hemming it up. Good to see this clarified about the liner as I had no clue. My only issue now is getting the robes “no higher than 1 inch” off the ground. Watching the couple scenes in ROTJ with the guards it seems some of them have their robes way higher than 1 inch. Again congratulations!
Thanks man, much appreciated. Glad to hear you're working to finish yours off too. Yes, hopefully we can get the lining issue clarified in the CRL soon so that it doesn't cause others grief.

The robe length is definitely challenging. You have to take into account so many factors - height standing tall and straight in boots, whether or not you'll have neck padding, if you'll have gel insoles in your boots or any kind of wedge - and once you've got that sorted, the slightest slouch or lean to one side and it will be on the floor. 1 inch really doesn't give you much room to move!
Excuse me? Imperial Royal Guards aren't allowed to slouch or lean. Parade attention all day every day or the Boss gets mad. :tr: :emp: :tr:
(I'm kidding, I'm kidding :trsuit: )

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

RedWraith

Post by RedWraith »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:27 pm Excuse me? Imperial Royal Guards aren't allowed to slouch or lean. Parade attention all day every day or the Boss gets mad.
(I'm kidding, I'm kidding )
Haha, touché. Let's just say then your robe will touch the ground if it is the slightest bit uneven :).

Romlyn

Post by Romlyn »

I remember seeing this thread at the start of 2020 when I was wanting to start trooping. Glad you guys finally got in!
Just a question though as another Aussie Guard, where did you get the fabric from? I've been having a tough time finding crimson and burgundy velvet both online and in my area.

RedWraith

Post by RedWraith »

Romlyn wrote: ↑Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 am I remember seeing this thread at the start of 2020 when I was wanting to start trooping. Glad you guys finally got in!
Just a question though as another Aussie Guard, where did you get the fabric from? I've been having a tough time finding crimson and burgundy velvet both online and in my area.
Thanks, nice to hear from another fellow Aussie! Our robes were bought from Imperial Boots (IB). They come mostly pre-sewn and all we had to do was hem them to the right length and add some shoulder tucks, which we got help with from a seamstress. We had some trouble with the lining not being fully sewn in (see earlier in this build thread for details), but once we got that sorted we were approved. I'll PM you some links.

Let me know if I can be of more help, and all the very best with your build!