TR-14056 Build & Resource Thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Erice3339
TKID: 14056

TR-14056 Build & Resource Thread

Post by Erice3339 »

Hello everyone,

Although I am already approved as of recently and did not partake in a build thread while gathering my materials for my guard, I wanted to nonetheless add to the resources here for future guards. I myself spent quite some time talking with my squad members, browsing this website, and talking with other 501st members on Facebook and Reddit to figure out how to tackle this costume. Without further ado, here is where I sourced each part of my guard along with some pictures:

Soft Goods

Inner & Outer Robes: Imperial Boots https://www.imperialboots.com/product/guardian-robe/
Boots: Imperial Boots https://www.imperialboots.com/product/red-guard-boots/
Gaunlets/Gloves: Imperial Boots https://www.imperialboots.com/product/red-guard-3/

As you can see, I went the Imperial Boots route and am happy I did. Their shipping from China took about 4 days to Florida, USA, although the DHL Express service is a bit pricey. I know there is some hesitancy when it comes to cookie-cutter sizes, but, as far as length goes, Imperial Boots leaves plenty of extra length on their robes to hem according to the height of the individual; however, I did encounter an issue with the length at first as I received, for the first time since they began selling these kits (I was the 28th customer), a defective robes set in that they did not have this extra length attached. An exchange was made for another size up which had excessive material to hem as intended. The width, as long as one follows the instructions on their website when taking measurements, fit like a charm both times. I took the robes and sash to a local tailor for hemming and voila!

To aide the fit and achieve an armor-like effect (as suggested in the CRL), I also wear football padding underneath the outer robes and atop the inner robes. Here it is:

I got it for $20 on Google Express with a coupon. Completely worth the money given my stature, height, shoulder width, etc. I will include a photo of how my robes looked prior to the purchase below:

I wasn't really happy with how it appeared (as seen in the above photo) hence why I started considering padding. As a result of the purchase, I also closed the gap between the rear of the robes and the helmet by velcroing additional foam padding onto the back of the football padding. There is no gap in the front either.

Helmet

My helmet is just the commonplace Rubies Royal Guard helmet. It's the one quality helmet they seem to make, although, because it is still mass-produced, there can be some defects and missing paint which is why I personally recommend ordering from Amazon if you have Prime since the return shipping is free and facilitated by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Supreme-I ... oyal+guard

I replaced the visor with the Hobart Face Shield Replacement available also on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770580-Sh ... 21W21CYB6D

I removed Rubies' visor and screws and used Epoxy putty (Home Depot) to fill the screw holes and to place three rare earth metal magnets inside of the bucket to hold in the visor. It works surprisingly well (I will admit that I was skeptical when I first saw other guards with it). The visor can be removed for cleaning and such while also allowing for better air circulation because of the gap left between the visor and helmet. I furthermore put motorcycle helmet padding inside the bucket to keep it tight since the Rubies helmet is large (and I have a smallish head).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZX ... UTF8&psc=1

Forcepike

My forcepike is from the talented Theo Cabbagefarmer. The quality is top-notch. Unfortunately, I think I purchased one of the last few as he has sadly closed down production for reasons unknown. Hopefully someday he will resume, but, if you happen to see this Theo, I would like to thank you again for your work!

Pictures

Note: I have added more recent photos further down in this thread in a separate post that reflect changes I made to the padding. It was too bulky in the photos immediately below.

Conclusion

I did want to take the time to thank detachment members here. Despite not doing a build thread (until now), I gleaned alot of information here from various build threads and the replies within them. I hope to meet some of you while trooping (I'm Florida Garrison). If anyone has any questions, I do not claim to be an expert, but I will answer to the best of my ability. I would be happy to add more pictures of a particular component of the outfit upon request. Happy trooping!

~Eric E.
Last edited by Erice3339 on Fri May 10, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Re: TR-14056 Build & Resource Thread

Post by ugcspawn »

cool stuff! I have the exact build sheet, except on the pike where I'm currently building my own. Only think missing is the shaded visor (in the mail). Can't wait to finish mine!

Erice3339

Post by Erice3339 »

ugcspawn wrote:cool stuff! I have the exact build sheet, except on the pike where I'm currently building my own. Only think missing is the shaded visor (in the mail). Can't wait to finish mine!
Even the padding? Best of luck to you as you finish!

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

Good luck on the build. It certainly is looking fine. The Shoulders are very large for the size of the helmet i will admit. It may be ok but I only mention it as I haven’t seen a Royal Guard anywhere with such padding. However It looks formidable. The outer robes and gloves are great.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Erice3339

Post by Erice3339 »

CrimsonGuard wrote:Good luck on the build. It certainly is looking fine. The Shoulders are very large for the size of the helmet i will admit. It may be ok but I only mention it as I haven’t seen a Royal Guard anywhere with such padding. However It looks formidable. The outer robes and gloves are great.
I can certainly see what you mean. I think it’s the lesser of two evils compared to how it looked without the padding. Maybe I will replace the football padding with another option someday.

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

Erice3339 wrote:
ugcspawn wrote:cool stuff! I have the exact build sheet, except on the pike where I'm currently building my own. Only think missing is the shaded visor (in the mail). Can't wait to finish mine!
Even the padding? Best of luck to you as you finish!
No, I'm using some sort of knee pads made for garden work. It's less bulky than yours, as I'm already on the heavy side lol! It's a fellow guard who gave me the tip. It's just enough to square off my shoulders and have the helmet rest on it, but it doesn't enlarge my chest area like a football/hockey protection. I had my seamstress put velcro on both the inner and outer robes and on the pads, so nothing move and it help keep the lenght of the robes stay put.

Erice3339

Post by Erice3339 »

Update 4/24: Removed Some of the Padding

I forgot to post about it in this thread, but I eventually did remove some of the shoulder padding since it was far too prominent beforehand.

I also added some foam around the rim of the helmet to help make it flush with the robes. I had limited success in doing so but still think it looks better.

If anyone has any other suggestions/recommendations to improve this costume, please let me know. While I can't say I am striving for perfect screen accuracy, I do still want to do my guard justice and hold my own next to other SP's. If I had the resources, I would wholeheartedly replace aspects of this costume to achieve 100% screen accuracy, but I simply cannot afford to do so at this time. Thanks in advance for any time and constructive criticism!

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

I have to chime in to say I am really loving the look of it now. Less is more and that padding is way better.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Erice3339

Post by Erice3339 »

CrimsonGuard wrote:I have to chime in to say I am really loving the look of it now. Less is more and that padding is way better.
Thanks Scott! I’ll admit I screwed up by going with too much padding at first, but hey, it’s a learning process for all of us at one point or another. Appreciate your input!

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

I must admit that at first while reading through these posts I was a bit skeptical when i saw the shoulder pads. In my head I could see a guard with these HUGE shoulders and then I read the next few posts and BOOM! You can color me convinced now.
Great job on the build!