Question on length of inner lining of robe.

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Skyrender
TKID: 41078

Question on length of inner lining of robe.

Post by Skyrender »

I got the robes from Imperial Boots and I have to trim the outer robes. I noticed the inner lining is a couple inches shorter than the outer. Should i retain this look or just make them both the same length?
Last edited by Skyrender on Tue May 15, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Question on length of inner lining of robe.

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Inner robes are to be just a tad shorter than the outer robes. Please show a photo so that we can see how it wears on you.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Skyrender

Post by Skyrender »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Inner robes are to be just a tad shorter than the outer robes. Please show a photo so that we can see how it wears on you.

I understand the Thwab is to be shorter than the outer robe. My concern was the wine colored lining on the inside of the crimson robe. it was about 2" higher. I have already trimmed off the access length and now doing the final hems. This is a picture of the cut off access material which shows how high the lining was (the wine colored material) The CRL does not mention any requirement for this. so just want to be sure as I make the final cuts/hems

This was the bottom left corner and the wine color is how high the lining was (before we hacked it up)

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Skyrender wrote:
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Inner robes are to be just a tad shorter than the outer robes. Please show a photo so that we can see how it wears on you.

I understand the Thwab is to be shorter than the outer robe. My concern was the wine colored lining on the inside of the crimson robe. it was about 2" higher. I have already trimmed off the access length and now doing the final hems. This is a picture of the cut off access material which shows how high the lining was (the wine colored material) The CRL does not mention any requirement for this. so just want to be sure as I make the final cuts/hems

This was the bottom left corner and the wine color is how high the lining was (before we hacked it up)

The lining should be to the hem line at the bottom of the robe, not this high up.

Skyrender

Post by Skyrender »

Ok great. I guess they just left all that extra material there since they assumed anyone would have to trim it anyway. thanks! now off to the sewing machine we go.

Skyrender

Post by Skyrender »

Ok, so we are at the point of hemming the outer robe. does the inner lining have to be stitched to the outer lining? We are having issues with it bunching up and causing height issues.

EDIT: We think we know what we did wrong but if someone can post up a photo of the hem on the bottom of their robes and the corners so we are sure to get it correct would be much appreciated. I am fairly sure I told the seamstress the wrong instructions and we have to redo it. thanks!

Kemen
TKID: 63982

Post by Kemen »

My advice would be to make sure the visible parts of the inner are correctly sewn into the hem. If you sew the lining into the hem all the way around it will become puffy on the bottom and not hang or flow correctly.