Some general questions to lead into my build thread

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Maedhros1323

Some general questions to lead into my build thread

Post by Maedhros1323 »

Well, I should start one of these sooner or later huh?

Right now I don't have any physical progress done on my build but I do have some things in mind and I've got a few questions to help sort out the rest.

First up, the helmet. I've been looking at the Fenix Props kit. Does anyone have experience with it? One of my biggest concerns is that I've got glasses and if it'll fit over them. Short of getting contacts (which I don't want to do) any other recommendations on helmets that aren't too pricey would be great if you don't think the FP one will work out.

Now onto the boots and gloves. I'm aware of the Imperial Boots ones and if I have to bite the bullet on those boots I will but, any other recommendations out there? I don't mind having to pick up women's boots but I'm a 10.5/11 in men's sizes so that's a bit of a tough find.

I was also thinking about getting a light colored pair of suede boots and dyeing them. Does anyone have experience with that?

Finally the robes. I've got some friends and family that can help me here. I gather that the inner robe is simple enough in that it's a thawb pattern. I also gather that there's no real pattern for the outer robes. In that case, any tips or is it really just a matter of the skill my friends/family have in figuring it out. And does anyone have recommendations on where to get the fabric? I've looked locally but I haven't had much luck.

And one miscellaneous question: pants. The CRL doesn't mention anything about them. The robes are clearly long enough but is there something we can/cannot wear underneath?

Echo
Detachment Webmaster
TKID: 12132

Re: Some general questions to lead into my build thread

Post by Echo »

PANTS: I'm pretty sure you CAN wear pants, so long as they're not visible, but in my experience... you won't want to. This costume is pretty warm, and more layers are generally not better (unless it's particularly cold).

FABRIC: Lots of fabric options, but I'm not sure where 'local' is for you from this post. Fabric.com has a lot of stuff, but I was able to find everything I needed at a local Fabricana store.

PATTERN: A large part of this is, unfortunately, figuring it out. The best advice I got was to get some old/cheap bedsheets or fabric, then drape it, pin it, cut it, and otherwise play with that until I'm happy with it. Then there's your pattern. Velvet is expensive, so make sure you're happy with it.

HELMET: I don't have any experience with the FP one in particular, but my research indicated that you'd be running about a minimum of $200 for it across the board, regardless of vendor. I ended up getting fitted for contacts, and it was the best thing I did. If you're set against it, I've seen two other suggestions (if the glasses don't fit): wraparound glasses (similar to goggles or safety glasses), and taking the lenses from an old pair and mounting them to your visor.

The rest... I don't have any tips, unfortunately.
---
Emily McRae
GEC/GWL - Outer Rim Garrison
DPRO/DWM - Sovereign Protectors

Maedhros1323

Post by Maedhros1323 »

Fair enough on the pants. I had considered that it might be rather warm but I didn't want to be the only pantsless guard out there XD

I'll take a look at fabric.com, thanks. There is one other place here at home I need to double check as well. Good tip on getting old/cheap bedsheets as a test!

Good deal on the helmet. I'm not suuuuper against contacts but, at some point I'm also considering eye surgery so it seems like it'd be a waste of time and money to get contacts this late in the game.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

For pants... best recommendation is to get some under armour... it'll save you a ton of headaches and help keep things a little cooler in the long run

Echo
Detachment Webmaster
TKID: 12132

Post by Echo »

Maedhros1323 wrote: Good deal on the helmet. I'm not suuuuper against contacts but, at some point I'm also considering eye surgery so it seems like it'd be a waste of time and money to get contacts this late in the game.
Daily disposables. ;) I use them for trooping, and that's it. I wear glasses the rest of the time. I bought 2 packs of 90 lenses in April, and have used ALMOST half of them.
---
Emily McRae
GEC/GWL - Outer Rim Garrison
DPRO/DWM - Sovereign Protectors

Mitthrawnuruodo
TKID: 13525

Post by Mitthrawnuruodo »

My giant glasses CAN fit in my helmet, it's not comfy, but it can be done if I forget my contacts. I only wear my contacts when trooping, specifically face characters, Bith, or the Guard (TIE or Gunner I leave my glasses on).

Under my robes I just wear black tights, just in case I move a certain way or some wind kicks up, I don't want anyone seeing my pasty white hairy chicken legs.

Maedhros1323

Post by Maedhros1323 »

Alright, yeah, under armor/tights noted. My wife should be picking up vision insurance for us through her job soon. When I go in for a checkup I'll see what they suggest.

Maedhros1323

Post by Maedhros1323 »

Small update, I've been talking to a member here and a local one from my garrison. Currently debating between getting IBs robes or attempting to make my own. Just waiting on the patterns in the Tutorial subforum to get an update. (Anyone know what's going on there?)

I'm looking at Fenix Props for the helmet, and will likely try to make up my own boots/gloves.

As for the pike, there's a local guy who can make some for me so... Outside of the robes I'm pretty set I think!

SidgeniCroskin
TKID: 61131

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I was in the same boat you are in about a year ago. I bought a helmet from someone on here. The helmet itself was great! But my head was way too big for it. (A size 8 fitted ball cap leaves a red mark across my forehead). So the only option that would fit was a Rubies. I had to paint it and replace the visor but it worked for me. Plus, I'm able to completely go without my glasses for a little while so I don't even bother with those.

I lucked out and found someone selling boots on here that were a perfect fit. Just got lucky.

I wear basketball shorts under my robes. It's worked so far.

I asked quite a bit too about a "pattern" for the outer robes. You will likely have to do what I did and just accept that there is no concrete, specific pattern out there that is used. I went to a local seamstress. I took my finished helmet in to her along with my gloves (from IB). The helmet and gloves were used to match a color for both robes. I left both items there because it took her quite a long time to find the right color to use. Once she found the right fabric and color for the outer robes (matching my helmet) and the inner robes (matching my gloves), she ordered it (and it was quite a bit since I'm not a little guy). Once the fabric came in, she took a ton of measurements. I had brought pictures from this forum from a TON of angles. Pictures from the movie. Youtube videos. The works. She was confident that she could make what was in the pictures/videos that I provided and still maintain compliance with the CRL (I gave her multiple hard copies of it.... just to be sure :D )

The next, and likely most difficult, step was to be patient. She was running a full time business with one other employee. I came in two separate times so that she could make sure fits were correct and that she was following the CRL.

It was a lot of work and it took a very long time. But it all worked out in the end. :trsuit: If you ever have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

(I'm that fat one on the left. LOL)
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131
Sovereign Protector/Pathfinder

Maedhros1323

Post by Maedhros1323 »

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, right now I've found a local seamstress but it looks like it may cost me more to go through her than to actually buy from IB. I think my next plan is to ask if she's got any tips/experience with recovering boots and/or making gloves. If she can at least do that, that'll save me a pretty penny.