Build A Helmet With pepakura

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

superdudeman64

Build A Helmet With pepakura

Post by superdudeman64 »

I'm getting my resources together but haven't been able to find a good helmet that won't cost me a full paycheck. My sister in law suggested using a pepakura pattern and casting it in resin. Has anyone experimented with this before or know of an approved pattern?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Build A Helmet With pepakura

Post by stripes »

In my experience, most pep files either don't have the correct dimensions nor the smooth lines to meet admission standards

Greggvh
TKID: 51901

Post by Greggvh »

I also think if you added up all the cost of the resin, fiberglass, bondo, sandpaper, paint and LOTS of time. It may be a wash to just purchase a helmet.

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Post by dwdj75 »

Greggvh wrote:I also think if you added up all the cost of the resin, fiberglass, bondo, sandpaper, paint and LOTS of time. It may be a wash to just purchase a helmet.
Absolutely ! I have built a few helmets over the years, and I actually have tried to build a pep guard helmet. Was never satisfied with the final result. Plus it is a BEATING with sanding, and bondo, and sanding, and bondo, and sanding ... (infinite loop) :geez:

Amazon has the Ruby's for a decent price and if you don't like it you can return it !

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Post by dwdj75 »

Also, let me add that if you are wanting to make a pep, then mold and then cast it. You are looking at a lot more than if you just bought one out right.

I want to say I paid from Smooth-On :
Rebound 25 $190.00
Onyx Liquid Plastic $90.00

And I did not have a distributor in my area so add $30.00 shipping ... :|