New ROTJ build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Myatt1871

New ROTJ build

Post by Myatt1871 »

Hi all. I'm pretty new to all this so hopefully you guys could help. I'm hoping to build a full costume, currently working on the soft robes and 'thawb' under robe. Any advice or tips would be appreciated especially with regards to the fabric. included is a photograph of three fabrics, two for the lining/thawb and one for the main outer. All are cotton velvet but I was hoping to see what you guys all think?

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Myatt18 ... sort=3&o=0

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Myatt18 ... sort=3&o=0

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Myatt18 ... sort=3&o=2

Thanks in advance!

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Re: New ROTJ build

Post by Crimson8 »

Hi where are you from?

From my experience getting a Guard complete, the last photo is looking like a good red for the outer robe. Then your helmet will be painted to match and look outstanding. I used double velvet red, but I believe old glory velveteen is good too. Just steer clear of anything stretchy and Panne velvet or crushed velvet will not be approved.

Inner lining should be burgundy or wine. . I'm not sure what colour that second photo is but it's pretty dark. I used burgundy broadcloth. It's cheap and good to wear. You're going to be walking in a glorified curtain so it's best to go with lightest material for inner lining. And you'll use same material for the Obi sash so go for a cheap fabric if you can.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Myatt1871

Post by Myatt1871 »

Hi I'm from the UK but would pay to import the right materials if it came to it.

So the outer red seems ok?

and the other was advertised as wine but upon arrival it seemed a little more purple than expected. The other is certainly better colour wise its just also quite expensive so I thought I'd check for alternatives.

Thanks for everything :)

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Yeah, 100% no for that middle one, I have to say though it might do well for a Senate guard lol. Good luck with your build!!! :trsuit: :tr:

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Post by dwdj75 »

I've seen that middle one before, they call it burgundy cotton velvet but it's more like a plum.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

The middle one is absolutely no good. Go with the first one for the inner robe/lining and you should be fine

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

CrimsonGuard wrote:Hi where are you from?

Inner lining should be burgundy or wine. . I'm not sure what colour that second photo is but it's pretty dark. I used burgundy broadcloth. It's cheap and good to wear. You're going to be walking in a glorified curtain so it's best to go with lightest material for inner lining. And you'll use same material for the Obi sash so go for a cheap fabric if you can.
The CRL for ROTJ specifically says velvet cloth for the inner robe, so broadcloth *shouldn't* be acceptable. Each episode has different requirements for inner robe, gloves, boots, etc.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TR_rotj

Inner Robes
For 501st approval:
Burgundy or wine coloured velvet cloth thawb, hemmed slightly shorter than the outer cloak. The hem should be no more than 3 inches off the ground.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

cooldevo wrote:
CrimsonGuard wrote:Hi where are you from?

The CRL for ROTJ specifically says velvet cloth for the inner robe, so broadcloth *shouldn't* be acceptable. Each episode has different requirements for inner robe, gloves, boots, etc.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TR_rotj

Inner Robes
For 501st approval:
Burgundy or wine coloured velvet cloth thawb, hemmed slightly shorter than the outer cloak. The hem should be no more than 3 inches off the ground.
The broadcloth section was removed. Command is reviewing this as it should not have been removed as a fabric option.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

stripes wrote:The broadcloth section was removed. Command is reviewing this as it should not have been removed as a fabric option.
Was broadcloth ever acceptable as an inner robe material for ROTJ? When I was working on my costume last year as was written in our CRL thread (yes I kept a saved copy or my own offline referece):
"Burgundy or dark purple "inner robe" constructed of a long-sleeve shirt-style top flowing into a dress style bottom hemmed a few in/cm shorter than the outer cloak. Slits can be added and matching pants worn beneath for ease of movement. Velvet/velveteen is recommended for this garment, but velour and crushed panne velvet will not be accepted."
Or are you thinking AOTC/ROTS where non-velvet material is desired?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Velvet or Velveteen for ROTJ and ATOC - Gabardine for ROTS.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard