New ROTJ Build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Kemen
TKID: 63982

Re: New ROTJ Build

Post by Kemen »

Beautiful colour. I'll try start a build tread of my own and post pics sometime today. Agreed its impossible to get a pic without the forcepuke in the way of the fold. But look on RPF for the museum shots and also the Star Wars movie costume book.

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Post by dwdj75 »

Thawb is complete !

It looks like the hem to the floor is over 3, but it is measured at exactly 2 1/2 inches !

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Outer cloak is all but done.

The bottom is pinned just checking the length before hemming !

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Does anyone else have the gap issue ?

What is the best way to get this corrected ?

I was thinking about placing a 2 inch foam under the cloak, would that work ?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The foam can be use to broaden the shoulders.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Kemen
TKID: 63982

Post by Kemen »

By the gap do you mean the bunching when you raise your arms?
I still think your front panal arm slit should go to the shoulder seam and the shoulder panel should wrap in behind. I see a few shots where you can clearly see the slit when standing.
Also interested in how you did the shoulders, are they sown down the shoulder past the point or is there a seperate panel for the side?
I'll put mine up for critique soon...i hope. Love the inner and lining fabric.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Kemen wrote:By the gap do you mean the bunching when you raise your arms?
I still think your front panal arm slit should go to the shoulder seam and the shoulder panel should wrap in behind. I see a few shots where you can clearly see the slit when standing.
Also interested in how you did the shoulders, are they sown down the shoulder past the point or is there a seperate panel for the side?
No, I mean the gap at the back of the helmet.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

dwdj75 wrote:
This gap is common depending on the helmet vendor and the build of the individual costumer. You could look into having shoulder pads (football or hockey) underneath to give more of a filler, however this only adds to the heat of the costume. Most people won't notice this gap as it is behind you. If your GML has issues with it, please refer them here to discuss their concerns with detachment staff

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

stripes wrote:
dwdj75 wrote:
This gap is common depending on the helmet vendor and the build of the individual costumer. You could look into having shoulder pads (football or hockey) underneath to give more of a filler, however this only adds to the heat of the costume. Most people won't notice this gap as it is behind you. If your GML has issues with it, please refer them here to discuss their concerns with detachment staff
Okay great ! I might try an sculpt a piece of foam to at least fill that gap. If it doesn't work I will submit it without !

Stripes, do you see anything I need to address or doesn't look right ?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

dwdj75 wrote:
stripes wrote: This gap is common depending on the helmet vendor and the build of the individual costumer. You could look into having shoulder pads (football or hockey) underneath to give more of a filler, however this only adds to the heat of the costume. Most people won't notice this gap as it is behind you. If your GML has issues with it, please refer them here to discuss their concerns with detachment staff
Okay great ! I might try an sculpt a piece of foam to at least fill that gap. If it doesn't work I will submit it without !

Stripes, do you see anything I need to address or doesn't look right ?
You'll want to hem the outer cloak to be an inch off the ground all the way around. It is dragging on the floor in your pictures. This is a major safety issue.

Also, if you lean forward slightly you will notice the helmet gap issue corrects itself. We don't stand at parade attention when in costume.