Small detail, big question

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

IVLIANVS

Small detail, big question

Post by IVLIANVS »

I'm curious what everyone is doing for the closure on their cloak?
In all of my historical costumes (such as a Roman Paludamentum, which was fastened over the right shoulder much like the RG's) were fastened with a pin. Obviously we don't have pins, so how is everyone holding this together?

At first I though Velcro, but would that hold the weight of the front and back of the cloak trying to separate on top of the shoulder? If you sew the front and back together on top of the shoulder, how do you get your head through the neck hole of it without it being so bit that the hole comes out from under the helmet?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: Small detail, big question

Post by cooldevo »

Mine is a regular over the shoulder wrap that is held in place with hook and eyes at the shoulder. I also have a few extra on the underside of the outer robe to help get the volume to sit nicely on the front as I didn't want it lying perfectly flat against me. The seamstress got red hooks and eyes (or she painted them red) and they work nicely. Just gave the hook end a bit of a pinch and they don't pop really pop loose loose. I can add pictures of my closure, but some of my already existing WiP pictures might show how it sits.

I'd caution against using velcro with velvet as it will snag the nap, which if it does will probably slowly ruin the velvet.

ROTJ would likely be trickier to use as a fit-over-the-head pieces, although I'm sure it could be done. Getting it to sit right, as well as having the arm opening to be hidden while your arms are done might be tricky. When I was reading WiPs for ROTJ I hadn't noticed any that made theirs all one piece, but I have seen some AOTC that have. The helmet covers a pretty large area around your neck, so the head hole can be fairly large without being noticeable.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

cooldevo wrote: ROTJ would likely be trickier to use as a fit-over-the-head pieces, although I'm sure it could be done. Getting it to sit right, as well as having the arm opening to be hidden while your arms are done might be tricky. When I was reading WiPs for ROTJ I hadn't noticed any that made theirs all one piece, but I have seen some AOTC that have. The helmet covers a pretty large area around your neck, so the head hole can be fairly large without being noticeable.
That was exactly my thought. The prequel cloaks would make more sense as one piece, with the openings on both sides - almost more like a surcoat or tabard. The ROTJ just looks more like it should wrap around and fasten on top of the shoulder.

I hadn't thought of hook and eye fasteners. :geez: I guess my costuming brain is still stuck too far in the past. :shoot: Those will be perfect! Thank you SO much!

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

The specific ones I have on mine are similar to the below ones. Wider and flatter, and red. I think the seamstress painted them, unless she found a source for red ones. There are 3 of them, spread along the shoulder.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

These are the ones I started looking at:
http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewing-su ... ct4Ci.dpbs

I think black should do fine, since they will be hidden between the overlapped sides of the cloak. I didn't want the shiny silver brass, just to avoid a reflection from it.

TK9115
TKID: 0

Post by TK9115 »

My robes are held in place by two hvy duty press studs/ poppers in between the neck and shoulder. Give a nice loose drape and the classic 'V' at the front too.

Cheers

Craig
Craig

Craig 'TK9115' Johnson
UKG Royal Guard Armourer

'Loyalty Never Dies!'