ROTJ Royal Guard Build Build & Questions

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

McBoushh
TKID: 19083

ROTJ Royal Guard Build Build & Questions

Post by McBoushh »

Greetings!
I am helping a local gentleman make the soft parts of the royal guard and was hoping I could get some feedback/suggestions. I have made other costumes before, so I do have some experience (I’m no pro but I do enjoy learning new things). I’ve made my Boushh, Jawa, A’Sharad Hett, and other odds & ends for other 501st members. I've never made this particular costume before, so I started last month by going off of what the 501st website CRL has along with the original trilogy costume book (just to see how the outer robe lays). I noticed that the CRL here within the forums has different wording (has more detail) than the CRL on the 501st site, so I’m a little confused.
I have a burgundy color cotton blend fabric that I have sewn in to the required thrawb, but the forums state it should really be velvet. Which is acceptable? I do have red and burgundy velvet ordered for the outer robe, so the two burgundy’s should match. They just haven’t come in yet, so I still need to make sure they match. If they don’t, I’ll redo the inner robe.
I see in the CRL in the forums states you can add slits on the bottom to make walking easier. Is there a height limit for that? And would it be ok for them to be on each side or just the back of the thrawb? I was estimating up to just below the knee. aAso, would adding a zipper in the back be approval? i was hoping to make it easy to take on and off if possible.

I’ll see if I can add a picture of the inner robe I started, the only one I currently has is in a super rough beginning stage. I do have the sash/belt completed, so i'll add a picture of that with the inner robe.

Any feedback is welcome! I’m sure I’ll make plenty of mistakes before getting it correct. I prefer to get it right for when he submits.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Re: ROTJ Royal Guard Build Build & Questions

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

The thawb should have one slit in the back up to max the knee. So it cant be seen when the outer robe opens. An you can add a zipper or velcro closing on the back as long as it cant be seen.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

This photo will give you a feel for hte underrobes.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

I have a zipper on the back of my inner robe that goes from just above the waist to the neckline for easier donning. Anything else must not be noticeable, particularly around where the robes opening is. I don't have any slits in the side, as I can generally walk fine in it. The Outer Robe poses more challenges for going up/down stairs, but can't do much about that.

If you are hemming it accurately, with outer robe being max 1" off the ground and inner robe about 3" off the ground, the only part of the inner robe that should be seen is as per LuciousTalvloinne's post.

The inner robe is supposed to be velvet according to the CRL; and is also the same material used to line the outer robe. Make sure you are familiar with the CRL, as it is what the GML (membership liaison) will be using to assess the costume. It lists each part of the costume and what is required. If you don't already have the link to the current CRL, start here: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TR_rotj

Questions are strongly encouraged, as well as perusing through other ROTJ Works in Progress and you'll get some good ideas. But I'd try and restrict them to ones that got approved somewhat recently.

McBoushh

Post by McBoushh »

Thanks for the feed back on the slit. Glad I did make them on the side!

For the material on the inner robe, the 501st website CRL doesn't mention a material (or a recommendation for a type) and has for the inner robe :
Inner Robes
For 501st approval:
Burgundy or wine coloured cloth thawb, hemmed slightly shorter than the outer cloak. The hem should be no more than 3 inches off the ground.

I don't want to start a huge debate, but since there's no mention of a material recommendation, is it possible to have that added? I didn't plan on signing up for the detachment but since I couldn't find much info out there, I had to use my best guess on this when I started last month. I was a bit surprised the detachment CRL has more info than the 501st page, so I'm wondering if it just hasn't been updated.
If the material I currently has isn't approvable, I'll be switching. I do plan on getting in contact with my garrisons GML to get their opinion.

I am still waiting for the outer robe material to arrive before being able to continue.

McBoushh

Post by McBoushh »

Here's some pics of my progress. I did speak with the GML with the concerns I had for when our member is up for approval. The member has his own build thread on our garrison forums and I have been posting some pics on there as I go, so our GML is following what I'm making. I'm taking it all in as I go in case I get asked again to make another one of these.

Keep in mind with these pics, everything is inside out. The inner robe still has rough areas. There's extra material in the seams until I can get him to try it on and I don't need to widen it. Same for the bottom and sleeves. The belt/sash is 4" wide with interfacing sewn in to keep it stiff. The inner strip, I made 1". the CRL doesn't give a measurement for it, so I estimated it off of the picture. It fastens in the back with velcro.

The outer robe is pinned temporarily so I can make sure it hangs right. I don't want it to look like a pillow case since I see it needs to flow smoothly when he walks (watched ROTJ to see what they look liked when they walked since I haven't seen anyone in this costume recently). I plan on combining the front and back this weekend for a test fit before adding the lining and making finishing touches. The lining came in and it matches the inner robe color, so I'm happy with that. Of course, the picture I took doesn't show that since the light reflects different off of them. Both are burgundy color.
Below is a link to photobucket since i couldn't attach directly to this thread.

I'm hoping to have him try it on in the next two weeks to make sure everything fits and make any adjustments before making hems and trimming off extra material. I'll add more pics with him trying it on when I get to that point. hopefully it's sooner than later. :)

http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/McBou ... rd%20Build

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Keep us posted on the progress.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

McBoushh wrote:The lining came in and it matches the inner robe color, so I'm happy with that. Of course, the picture I took doesn't show that since the light reflects different off of them. Both are burgundy color.
For photos of the velvet, the best bet is daytime natural/outdoor lighting with no flash. A flash will play havoc with the color of the red and often make it look shiny.

It will also make a difference depending on the way the nap is laying. You want the nap to lay down (photos and on robes), as having it lay up will make it look a lot shinier.

McBoushh

Post by McBoushh »

I'm redoing the inner robe and obi since the CRL changed and ordered more of the same material since I now don't have enough for the outer robe lining.
The gentleman it's for came for a fitting and so far, everything is going smoothly as far as fit. The folds look fine on the outer robe. I've noticed the outer robe lays differently on various body types, so I'm going to see if can adjust the a little more so they stick out better. Of course I completely forgot to take pics of him while he had it on. His helmet covers the top perfectly, so the seams at the neck are completely covered and he doesn't need any extra padding to close the seal around the helmet.
I did ask him to follow this thread and post up his questions that he might not be able to find or I could answer.

I do have a question since the inner robe is now velvet and not just "cloth". How does everyone keep their obi from slipping? I'm not sure if I should add velcro to the inside or just hope it stays in place? it would be a last detail I would add before sending him off with it.

I'll post pics of the inner robe in a few days. I'm still getting the obi redone in between work, family, and life. :)

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

I'd personally be cautious and hesitant to use velcro with velvet as it will often snag the nap, unless you have some that won't snag. The outer robe lining, sash, and inner robe are all snag prone because of the nap.

My sash does slide a bit, but overall stays in place without anything holding it. I'd personally suggest eye hooks or a couple of buttons if you wanted something... or just be very careful of the velcro fit if you go that route.