ROTJ Royal Guard Build Build & Questions

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

McBoushh
TKID: 19083

Re: ROTJ Royal Guard Build Build & Questions

Post by McBoushh »

Thanks for the tips on the bottom hem! I had a feeling it wouldn't work or at least not flow the way it should. I'll get that adjusted. He's still waiting for his boots, so I have some time!

McBoushh

Post by McBoushh »

Good news is the costume is complete! He just got temp approval for a troop today. There's a few things that still need to be adjusted, but they are super minor. I did notice each time he moved his arms, the outer robe shifted way too much (probably from it being all velvet). I told him to put snaps on the shoulders for now to see how that works to at least keep it from sliding. I fixed the hem and actually didn't attach the lining to the outer material on the bottom. When I tried that, it still looked too bunched up. It's closed in on the sides, so if the wind blows, it won't open on him and will settle down evenly with them separate. This worked when we took his approval pics outside and the wind started to pick up.

Once he gets his official approval done, I'll post up pictures and try to cleanup the build pics I have on photobucket if anyone wants to use them as a reference.

You guys have been super helpful! Thank you!

McBoushh

Post by McBoushh »

HE'S APPROVED!!

I am so happy this one worked out. Took a few trial and errors (well, mostly errors) with the folds and seams but our GML approved it based off the updated CRL. Whew! I did notice he has to add snaps to the inside of the outer robe to the inner robe on the shoulders since it kept shifting every time he moved his arms. I guess all that velvet didn't give the friction I was hoping for. One word of advice I gave him is get a lint roller. I didn't realize how much stuff sticks to velvet until I moved it and it picked up every speck of dust.

You guys have been super helpful! Every question I had, you had answer for and gave me honest input.
I updated my photobucket with his one approval photo too.

Now onto my next commission but I'll be heading over to the Sith Lord Detachment for that one.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

McBoushh wrote:HE'S APPROVED!!

I am so happy this one worked out. Took a few trial and errors (well, mostly errors) with the folds and seams but our GML approved it based off the updated CRL. Whew! I did notice he has to add snaps to the inside of the outer robe to the inner robe on the shoulders since it kept shifting every time he moved his arms. I guess all that velvet didn't give the friction I was hoping for. One word of advice I gave him is get a lint roller. I didn't realize how much stuff sticks to velvet until I moved it and it picked up every speck of dust.

You guys have been super helpful! Every question I had, you had answer for and gave me honest input.
I updated my photobucket with his one approval photo too.

Now onto my next commission but I'll be heading over to the Sith Lord Detachment for that one.
Glad we could all be of assistance!