TB-61131WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

SidgeniCroskin
TKID: 61131

Re: TB-61131WIP

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

Today I did my measurements for inner and outer robes and chose my velvets. Making progress!!

Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131
Sovereign Protector/Pathfinder

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

So while my inner and outer robes are being made I thought I'd start working on a/some forcepike(s). After going through many of the threads on here, I dug around and found some random 'junk' pieces laying around as well as some other items from Lowe's/Walmart:
I am not sure yet how this red flexi-hose could be cut/dremmelled down for the rasp spikes without exposing the space underneath. If I do cut/dremmel it, there would just be slices of nothing going up and down it.

I have found a few different items that I am just putzing around with to use as the primary base of the pike:
Here is an old fishing pole. It's a little thin and short for me. But I liked the tapering of the handle up to the shaft. Maybe for a 'young' guard?

I also found some old poles from a collapsible tent/pavilion:

But for my first go around, I am going with the $9 collapsible pool cue from Wally-world:

I also dug around and found a few different items that I'm considering for the base of the pommel such as a faucet handle, a walker/walking cane rubber foot, and 1.5" PVC cap:

I am not in a huge rush to complete this but regardless of the path I take in constructing this/these item(s), I am going to stick with the pool cue for the first run. So I sanded one down in preparation for some primer:

Bam. Primer on, first metallic coat on:

....and that's where I stand as of now.

So....
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Looking good so far, IMHO.

My only thought would be to ensure trying to make the pole look as metallic as possible. Not saying that you aren't, but something I'd say to keepin the back of your mind. To me, if it's not metallic looking it's not quite right.

If the weight of the pool cue gets to you, ski poles work wonders and don't need to be painted. Scuffs can just be sanded out in a few seconds (at least so far for me), and the aluminum is very very light. I made mine unscrew into 3 parts, so it can be nice and compact. It needs a bit of work as it is version 1, and I have a few things I'd change and refine next time around.

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I completely agree with you, Cool. I'm not the biggest fan of the chrome paint on the wooden pool cue. I can't think of any tricks to get it to look more metallic. I'll keep messin' around with it and we'll see.

In the meantime, here are a few more things I've been putzing around with. All of this is mostly experimenting but I'd still like to hear what yinz think:

I got a cheap rolling pin from Wally-world...

....and sliced it into three pieces...

...and then took one and started cutting it for a rasp....

I also got some of the worm gears I've seen some of you metion before: (I know the gold one will still need some refinement)

I found some small plastic "test tubes" with small lids. I've began painting them as possible tips for the pike:

I have found another possibility for the main shaft of the pike but I need your advice. This is not the best time of year to find any kind of ski poles nearby; especially ones that aren't telescopic. :roll: So I looked around and found an empty, unused golf club:Image

It is made of steel, but I really like the weight of it as compared to the pool cue. Here's the thing though.... Look closely at shaft:

There are multiple, gradual sections that taper or 'step' down to the next thickness. Is there a way to get around this? Is it acceptable? Thanks again everyone for your input!
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

As per legion policy, weapons are not mandatory for approval of any costume due to the differing local laws for each representative area

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I understand. I just want to try to make the best one(s) that I can. Thank you so much everyone! :tr:
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

So I found this fabric possibly for my liner and inner robe/sash. I wanted to get opinions from the pros. Thanks for the feed back!

This is the back of the fabric....
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

My seamstress needs to know by tomorrow morning. It's a discontinued fabric that she needs to get tomorrow morning or it'll be gone. One approved TR in my garrison said that it was acceptable but I wanted to get as much feedback as I could before tomorrow morning's deadline before I told her to go ahead and get it.
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything but here's an update: Yesterday I did my first fitting for my robes. A few more adjustments (hemming, adjusting sleeves, finishing the sash, etc.) and they'll be ready in a week or two!

Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I was going to change the visor out in my helmet and I saw this:

There are two separate bullet points for the color. One says smoke or red, the other just says red. Is there a reason that it's this way that I don't understand? Or is it just frivolously redundant?

Well either way, I just put my smoke visor in to replace the clear one. What do yinz think?

Here is the old one:

Then I cut the new one out:

Put the new one in....

...and Voila! :trsuit:
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131